Hello Guest September 19, 2024, 22:55:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Many of the ship super packs reduce the size of the ships controls. Is there any advantage to smaller controls?

Definitely. Smaller controls improve the game.
No. Smaller controls are harder to see and/or detract from the game.
I don't mind either way.
Who cares?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smaller Controls for ships - neccessary?  (Read 1604 times)

jacksos101

• Forum member
Smaller Controls for ships - neccessary?
« on: March 13, 2010, 08:55:28 »

Hi all  :),

In many of the ship super-packs, one of the changes that is made is that the ships controls (the UI ones, not the ones inside the bridge) are made smaller. I was wondering why VStep is doing this. Personally, I prefer the larger controls, they are easier to see, and the writing on them (when applicable) is easier to read. Of course, I guess that people with larger monitors might prefer the controls to take up less space (my monitor isn't all that large  ;)).
I would love to hear what others have to say about this.

jacksos101
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 08:57:28 by jacksos101 »

TJK

Re: Smaller Controls for ships - neccessary?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 09:00:44 »

HI jacksos101

It's not v-step that make this free ship super-packs, but if you pref ere the big one joust run the exe file again and mark the box for default controllers and they will be back as they were

TJK

jacksos101

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 09:29:13 »

Ok, I know that already. I am just wondering what the reasoning behind the change is, and whether people find it appropriate or not.
My mistake for assuming VStep is behind the super packs, sorry. :P

jacksos101

mvsmith

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 14:27:40 »

The packs offer smaller controls because someone complained that the controls were too big. You can’t please everybody. At least, as Tore pointed out, this change is optional.

In some cases those larger controls take up too much screen space and interfere with operating. This is often the case in bridge view on some ships where the two sets of controls interfere with each other.

In most cases, it is better to simply ask a question than to start a useless poll.
Poll seldom serve a useful purpose and give the false impression that this forum is a democracy.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 14:35:38 by mvsmith »

pusser_uk

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 12:17:08 »

In some cases those larger controls take up too much screen space and interfere with operating. This is often the case in bridge view on some ships where the two sets of controls interfere with each other.

Personally, I have found the smaller controls sometimes interfere with each other also. I know they can be turned off but until you have tried them, you can't really make a judgement. I only have a 15" monitor and have found trying to operate the smaller controls is more difficult for me and often as one increases throttle and the mouse moves over the thruster control, that moves too. Where possible, I turn the smaller controls off now.
 8)
/\/\ike

Kapn Jonah

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 18:29:29 »

I don't really use the overlay controls, i use the bridge ones or the  keyboard...so i've got nothing to complain about :P
Regards,
Jonah

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 19:56:45 »

I've used SS08 on my laptop and a 50" HD TV. Either way the controls are too small, and hard to read.

The annoying part is that I think that the option for the new controls is usually the same as that for the new dynamics, which means I have to have both... or neither. I may be incorrect though, but I think that's the case.
Almost never here, try here.

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 05:34:37 »

I cast my vote on YES, because having big controls simply makes them get in the way. I would say it makes the game sleek and tidy

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

mvsmith

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 06:01:13 »

The annoying part is that I think that the option for the new controls is usually the same as that for the new dynamics, which means I have to have both... or neither. I may be incorrect though, but I think that's the case.

That is not the case for Latitude, which has separate options for controls and new dynamics. Not all of the packs include new dynamics.
I do think that some changes can be overdone, and cause problems in other areas, like breaking missions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines