Hello Guest September 19, 2024, 23:19:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Red Funnel Ensign  (Read 4085 times)

fredpatch

• Forum member
Red Funnel Ensign
« on: February 23, 2010, 20:26:59 »

Anyone notice the Red Funnel is displaying the Union Jack from her stern instead of the British maritime ensign, the "Red Duster?"

Jammy

• Forum member
Re: Red Funnel Ensign
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 17:32:33 »

Possibly because the Red Funnel vessels stay in Britain? Not sure if that's actual policy but it's my guess.

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 18:12:19 »

Anyone notice the Red Funnel is displaying the Union Jack from her stern instead of the British maritime ensign, the "Red Duster?"

I take it you mean in the game rather than IRL?

fredpatch

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 21:43:54 »

Yes, it's in the game and on the box.  Not sure what "IRL" means.  Sorry.

matt5674

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 22:14:39 »

IRL- In Real Life

laganviking

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 22:49:28 »

IRL is the shorthand country code for Ireland. Same was USA for America, UK for united Kingdom, FR for France, DE for Germany..... :doh:
LV SHIPYARDS - Whatever you want, whatever you like, whatever you say, you pay your money, you take your choice  :lol: :2thumbs: :captain: !:)

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 08:41:49 »

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 08:44:31 »

IRL is the shorthand country code for Ireland. Same was USA for America, UK for united Kingdom, FR for France, DE for Germany..... :doh:

This is also true, but not what I was talking about.

And yes, most British registered ships should fly the red ensign, never the union jack / union flag.

fredpatch

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 15:13:39 »

OK, the British Union Jack is shown flown on the stern of the Red Funnel.  IRL, the Union Jack is flown only at the bow of British warships when moored or anchored.  I believe that certain other vessels (Fleet Reserve, yacht clubs) may fly it also, but always up front, at the stem of the vessel.  The Brits have three nautical ensigns of which I am aware.  The English "Cross of St,. George" with the Union Jack imposed in the upper left corner is flown by Royal Naval Vessels.  The lesser known blue ensign with the Union Jack occupying the upper left quarter is flown by Fleet Reserve (civilian manned RN support vessels) and Royal Mail ships, such as the RMS Titanic. I think that this flag may be flown on UK registered ships on which the master is a retired RN officer.  The "Red Duster," red with the Union Jack imposed in the upper left quarter is flown by the rest of UK registered vessels.  In fact, the "Red Duster" is flown as a courtesy flag by foreign ships when in UK waters.  I know of absolutely no cases in which the Union Jack is flown from the stern of any UK registered vessel.  If I am incorrect, I would greatly appreciate any clarification.  Thanks.
Fred

See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_flags

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 15:49:23 »

Hi Fred,
I do not know if things have changed since I was at sea but a British ship of any size or class was eligible to fly the blue ensign if the master and at least one other officer aboard was a member of the Royal Naval Reserve. One ship in the company I worked for was an old Liberty ship but she flew the blue ensign for a few voyages as the master and third mate were RNR men.  I am not at all certain that Wiki is correct if it says that Royal Mail ships could fly it. Usually they did because of what I mention above. The flag flown at the jackstaff which you mention is actually the "Pilot jack" which is a union flag surrounded by a white border. This can be flown by any Bitish ship provided it is from the Jack staff up for'd.

Angus.
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 16:01:17 »

It is indeed correct, the only Royal Mail Ship left, the RMS Saint Helena flies the blue ensign.

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 16:02:37 »

The flag flown at the jackstaff which you mention is actually the "Pilot jack" which is a union flag surrounded by a white border. This can be flown by any Bitish ship provided it is from the Jack staff up for'd.

Angus.

On a warship it is in fact the union jack, other vessels may fly the pilot jack at the foremast when in port or anchored.

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 16:27:31 »

I wonder if the RJ4 is registered with the Isle of Wight or Southampton, and whether this makes a difference...
Almost never here, try here.

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 16:36:54 »

It may even be registered in London?

I am not sure which regulations apply to hovercraft, there is some kind of crossover with aviation regs, not sure if they are registered the same way as ships?

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 16:40:03 »

It may even be registered in London?

I am not sure which regulations apply to hovercraft, there is some kind of crossover with aviation regs, not sure if they are registered the same way as ships?

nice to see you assume I'm talking about Freedom 90!

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 16:48:00 »

nice to see you assume I'm talking about Freedom 90!

D'oh, my bad.  I saw letters and numbers and thought hovercraft!  ::)

Yeah, in that case the actual port of registry doesn't matter so long as it is a UK port.

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 17:40:26 »

In reply to the original question.........I remember shortly after SS2008 came out, someone pointed out that RED JET 4 was flying a United Kingdom flag at her stern instead of the Red Ensign flag (aka "The Red Duster"). This was a mistake, I think, on the developer's part and as far as I'm aware no attempt was made to correct this factual error.

Who knows, maybe VSTEP will get it right in SS Extremes?  ;)
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit  |  CPU: Intel i7-4770k @ 3.5 GHz  |  RAM: 16Gb DDR3  |  Graphic Card: Asus GTX 660 DirectCU II OC

Ralphy

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 17:53:32 »

if i remember rightly RJ4 is southampton with all other red funnel ships

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2010, 17:59:50 »

It is indeed

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2010, 18:01:54 »

This is her correct ensign, and Ralphy & TFM are also correct. Southampton is her port of registry.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 18:03:28 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

fredpatch

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2010, 22:00:52 »

I.m surprised the developers made such a mistake, considering their national maritime tradition and proximity to the UK.  More likely a mistake one of us Yanks would make.
Fred

matt5674

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2010, 00:44:09 »

This picture I found on the internet shows Red Jet 4 with the British Red Ensign above the Red Funnel Flag on the mast:

This proves the British Flag on the stern is not suppose to be that type of flag.

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2010, 17:37:07 »

If anything I think it proves that there is no flag on the stern of the RJ4

Jammy

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2010, 19:14:54 »

It is indeed correct, the only Royal Mail Ship left, the RMS Saint Helena flies the blue ensign.

It surprises me you claim the less obvious to be the only Royal Mail Ship left.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Mail_Ship#List_Of_RMS_ships
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Queen_Mary_2

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2010, 20:21:33 »

QM2 isn't a proper RMS though, is it? It was given leave to carry the title but it is purely honourary.

And since the S stands for Steamer, not Ship... Shout QM2 not be called RMD QM2 where D=Diesel

Also, if you read your own quoted pages... It only really applies when in service as a RMS... Since this has never- and likely never will- apply to QM2, the point is well made.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines