Hello Guest September 20, 2024, 01:59:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quality Control  (Read 1195 times)

metman

• Forum member
Quality Control
« on: February 20, 2010, 16:27:21 »

Hi guys

Looking back through some of the posts on this subject there appear to be a number which raise questions of the lack of quality control on missions before they are uploaded for everyone to use.  In my humble opinion there is quite a high percentage which have faults of one sort or the other which do not seem to have been addressed.  Is there a team of SS beta-testers out there who trial any new missions before they go on general release to all to actually see whether they work outside of the developers PC?  If not, why not??

Nothing hacks people off more than when there are missions out there which don't do 'what it says on the tin'!!  One mission, the name of which escapes me, requires a fast craft to be towed by two tugs to another dock.  Fine, tugs attached, all lines let go, and the darn thing refuses to move off the wall!!!  That is only one example but I can assure you there are others.

I really enjoy SS, but these glitches do take the gloss of the game.   

And, yes, my PC is still waiting for the SS system requirements to catch up.....!!

Regards
metan

Traddles

• Global Moderator
Re: Quality Control
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 16:58:49 »

Hi Metman,
Believe it or not the mission you describe worked perfectly in the original release of the game, however later updates caused the problem you describe which was picked up almost immediately and a corrected version of the mission was placed in the "Custom Missions" file. There are a couple of other missions again from the original version of the game which have been corrected in the same fashion and placed on the "Custom missions" file. Unfortunately as you are relatively new to the game all the posts relating to this problem (Of which there are many) are now away in the past. If you hunt through the missions board going well back in time you can still find the posts.
As to missions in the custom missions file, ALL of these have been well and truly tested and passed by the Custom Mission Managers (CMMs) before they were released.  I hope  this clears up your complaint and enables you to take further pleasure in the game.
P.S. For my sins, I am a CMM as well as a Moderator. ::)

« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 17:13:01 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

mvsmith

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 17:45:18 »

Hi Metman,

You have an understandable gripe. It can be very frustrating to be unable to complete a mission, for whatever reason.

You need to make a distinction, when reading the problem reports, between missions that are actually flawed (and there are quite a few), and those that are merely very difficult for some players.
The missions, including most of those installed with the game, are written by users, not by the developers.

The faults in those included with the game arise from two basic causes:
1. Older missions that were retained from prior versions are sometimes broken by subsequent modifications to an environment or the dynamics of ships. For example, a change in the depth in a harbor can leave a ship sitting in mud and impossible to move. That those older “known to be working” missions were never re-checked is an oversight on the part of VSTEP. In most cases, the team of user CMMs has provided a repaired or substitute mission for download.

2. New missions, written by users and selected for inclusion in New Horizons were all checked by the user CMMs.  However, at that time the CMMs were handicapped because they received locked missions and could not examine them in the Mission Editor. Missions had to be accepted if three CMMs were able to complete them. That was an unrealistic constraint. CMMs are very skillful players and, being experienced mission creators, understand the importance of navigating carefully and paying close attention to directions. That they could complete a mission does not necessarily mean that all players, regardless of skill, could complete them.

If you have studied the Missions Manual and the Mission Editor tutorial, you should have an understanding of the problems caused by hidden triggers, especially hidden jumps (environment changes), and triggers to un-hide waypoints or ships. Many players have difficulty coping with these.
The Missions Manual was written in an attempt to explain the difficulties players might encounter.

In summary: Missions are, for the most part, created by users (not by the developers) for your entertainment. An attempt is made, either by CMMs or by peer review to make them error-free.
However, missions vary in difficulty. Many are very challenging and require careful navigation, attention to detail, knowledge of basic seamanship, and some practice in handling the player ship.

Regards,
Marty

TJK

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 19:13:26 »

HI metman

I am a CMM as well as a Moderator and mission builder.
My self are testing my build 2 or 3 times before i upload them to the rest of the CMM Team for testing, it minimum 2 cmm'r that test missions sometime more, and if all OK well no problem to realize them, but if we find a real god mission with failure we pm the builder tell him about it and we give some time to he can fix it and re upload.
we try to give help, advise and more to builders.

And as i also are a CMM'r you maybe think i test my own missions and run them out in the game.
well if you think so you have totally wrong, mission builders like me and Traddles do not test our own mission when they are uploaded, thats are up to the other members of the team.
we have strict rules to follow for watt kind of missions and all they non mission we are rejecting everyday missions with no WP  only ships that can't be played and so.

So metman i feel a bit attacked here but I'm sure you not meant do do that,
But we are also some CMM'r that do a marvels job to testing and giving you all the best missions to your all to add into the game, we do it on our free time and for free, we do not get payed for this job. We do it for your members so you all shall have fun with the game and cos we play like your to and have fun
And we are humen also, so we can do misstake that's why more and 1 cmm'r most test missions before they are coming into the game
Regards
TJK/Tore
sorry if my english don't are perfect
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 19:20:41 by TJK »

metman

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 16:26:51 »

Thanks for your replies guys which have answered my question.  Once again I seemed to have got peoples backs up and once again I DO apologise most sincerely, it was never my intention to do so.  I was not getting at anyone in particular and it was not a full blooded complaint, but just a 'moan'.  I'm pleased that there is a 'test panel' out there and that it is doing its job well.  However I'm glad that I have raised the profile on 'old' missions where further updating to 'ships' can cause a problem to that 'old' mission.  Whether that is something that can be solved easily I don't know as I know nothing about the inside workings of games - I just push the buttons and see what happens, if anything!!!! 

From a customer point of view one buys a game and expects it to work - perhaps only after downloading I don't know how many patches!!!!  Or to put it another way there is nothing to tell you that some missions may not work as they should as they are too 'old'.  Should VSTEP include a visible note to that effect on the game packaging, I don't know, but it would provide better customer service if they did so.  No doubt some of you may be wondering why I bought the game as I only seem to be able to find fault with it.  So be it if you think that way, but I really enjoy the game but I also feel from a customer point of view that there a number of subjects which need to be addressed to make it even better.  But don't worry folks, online gamers are safe from me, I'm to big a hazard by myself!!!

Regards Metman

mvsmith

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 18:30:01 »

Hi Metman,
I understand your possible frustration, but I should point out that the support offered on this forum is by fellow users who volunteer their time.  We tend not to regard fellow users as “customers”. That describes your relationship to VSTEP, not to us. Your comments on “Customer service” should, perhaps be addressed to VSTEP on their website:  http://www.shipsim.com

Regards,
Marty

metman

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 16:07:26 »

Thanks for your comment Marty and I do appreciate and understand that ALL forums are run for and by volunteers in their own time.  If it wasn't that way there wouldn't be many forums out there!!

I take your point about 'customer service' and I will take it up with VSTEP direct as I think the points I made are very important and need to be addressed.  For all I know VSTEP may have already seen this thread if they monitor the forum at all.  I also appreciate that this version of SS is only a sideline for VSTEP and that their main business is the commercial simulator - which for those who have experienced it is TRULY awesome!!  And before you ask I wasn't much better at that either!!!!!!

Regards

Metman
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines