Hello Guest March 28, 2024, 14:19:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with steering  (Read 7488 times)

jacksos101

• Forum member
Problems with steering
« on: January 23, 2010, 00:48:26 »

In Ship Sim 2008 I have noticed that ships rudders only work when the engine power is turned up. The rudders do not steer the ship when the engines are idling, even though there is water passing the rudder. Is there an update that can rectify this problem, or is there a configuration file that I can edit? In Ship Sim 2006 this is not a problem and ships can steer when the ships are coasting along, with the engines idling.

matt5674

Re: Problems with steering
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 05:05:30 »

Are you meaning when the ship is stopped or moving? Stopped: The rudder can only turn when engines are on. They also turn the ship when rudder turned and engines on which will result in instant turning. Moving (Engines off): A ship can turn slower with engines idling and the ship moving and will work best with smaller ships but worse for big ships.

jacksos101

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 06:58:12 »

Hello,
I mean when the ship is moving and the engines are idling (in the neutral position), not completely turned off.
In Ship Simulator 2006 however you can steer the ship when it is moving, even if the engines are in the neutral position.

madmex

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 11:07:45 »

I had the same prob when i used a copie from ship sim 2008 then the rudder was only working with full power on the engine, now i have the legal cd from ship sim 2008 CE and can i use the rudder when the engine is idle.
Am using Joystick Extreame 3D PRO

Regards,

Jack

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 12:33:09 »

Ships which are water jet propelled cannot in reality steer when the engines are idling. e.g. Pilot boat, "Arie Visser", Red Jet 4, Water ski. However ALL ships with normal propellor drive will steer perfectly well when the engine is stopped as long as they have headway through the water. This is perfectly reproduced by the ships in the game. Smaller ships, as in reality, respond more quickly, and larger ships, such as "Latitude" and "Vermaas" have a very sluggish response to the helm which will make it seem, at first, that they are not responding. It takes time for a huge weight to answer the helm. Again this is a reflection of reality. "Bugsier 2" is another ship which needs power on her engines to steer for the simple reason that she has no rudder, nor does "Red Eagle". The special drive systems on these two ships does away with the need for rudders. It is worth studying the differing systems so that you can understand why some ships behave in differing ways.
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 13:09:32 »

And Ocean Star...
Almost never here, try here.

TJK

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 13:38:13 »

well you can use the bow trust to stair Ocean Star but she need power as Bugsier do
so Traddles has right here

« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 13:43:35 by TJK »

mvsmith

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 14:07:38 »

Hi jacksos101,

Traddles has answered well. As amplification, here is my answer to that question when it was raised some time ago:

Some of the boats in SS2008 are Jacuzzi powered. Red Jet is one, the water taxi is another. They have no rudders and, consequently, no steering without power.
The Jetski has no rudder either.

The hovercraft “rudders” are ineffective when the fans are shut down. That craft is usually steered with the forward thrust ducts because it has the dynamics of a hockey puck when steered with the fan diverters.

Ocean Star and Bugsier 2 are steered with azimuth drives.

Even those ships with conventional screws and rudders often have diminished steering without the prop wash over the rudders.

If you list those ships, other than those listed above, that you find have improper rudder response, we can deal with them specifically.

Regards,
Marty

Here is where you can download PDF manuals on the operation of AZ drives and the hovercraft:

http://80.95.161.114/shipsim/forum/index.php/topic,2886.msg28895.html#msg28895

« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 14:16:42 by mvsmith »

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 16:00:34 »

Here is an example of azipod drives. This is similar to the way Ocean Star is powered only she does not have the centre (fixed) pod, just the two outer ones. You can clearly see that she has no rudder/s.
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

jacksos101

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 00:35:34 »

Thankyou very much for all of your responses, you've made it much clearer to me. I'll try doing my homework next time I ask such a question.

Until the next post,
Jacksos101
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines