Hello Guest April 25, 2024, 07:40:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Log-in problems on the forum  (Read 3527 times)

Aad The Pirate

• Forum member
Log-in problems on the forum
« on: January 22, 2010, 15:18:45 »

Ahoy Ship(sim) mates,
I know that my question was sometime ago an issue on this forum, but the search function does not give me the proper results. May be I used the wrong search word(s).  :doh:
Nevertheless,
When I use my browsers bookmark to go to the forum, or when I use the hotlink on the Vstep Homepage I always have to enter my username and password again. I checked that the option 'Forever' is enabled.
Only when I enter the forum by following a hotlink in an email to jump to a(ny) forum topic I stay logged in.
This just happened recently after cleaning up my browser history.
I'm aware that there was an answer as well as a solution for this problem, but as I told before, I can't find it  :-[.
Any help would be dearly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Aad the Pirate
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 17:27:55 by Aad The Pirate »
Feel free to have a look @: http://members.chello.nl/a.vermeulen14/

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
Re: Log-in problems on the forum
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 15:24:20 »

Hi Aad,

Can you try deleting your bookmark, and making a new one?

The url on the site has changed, so the old bookmark points to the old URL perhaps, which does send you through to the new adress, but just not logged in.

I think that might be it, but if you, please let me know!

Regards,
Fred

TJK

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 16:01:33 »

Hi Aad
When you cleaning up my browser history then you also delete the cookies that have all the login info, that's why you most log in again and the cookies are saved again, so next time you clean the same will happen again
Tore

Aad The Pirate

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 17:26:20 »

Ahoy Mates,
@ Mad_Fred: Your solution seems to work, BUT when I use the link on the VSTEP Homepage the situation is the same as I described in my first message. Anyhow, thanks for your help.
BTW, when I'm not logged in and I click on a link in the 'Show unread posts since your last visit' or 'Show new replies to your posts' I'm automatic got logged in. Till the next visit.
@ TJK: After logging in ther is a new cookie saved, so far, so good. But if I leave the forum it seems that thise dosn't make any change. Because when I visit the forum again, the same situation repeats it self, meaning I have to log in again and again and again and...................
The only solution, as far as I can tell, is Mad_Fred's one. Anyhow, thank to you too.
Kind regards
Aad

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 17:29:19 »

Ahoy Mates,
@ Mad_Fred: Your solution seems to work, BUT when I use the link on the VSTEP Homepage the situation is the same as I described in my first message. Anyhow, thanks for your help.
BTW, when I'm not logged in and I click on a link in the 'Show unread posts since your last visit' or 'Show new replies to your posts' I'm automatic got logged in. Till the next visit.

I have it too when i get on the forum via the shipsim site. When i go directly to www.forum.shipsim.com everything works fine without having to login again.
It's the crew that makes the difference

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 18:17:23 »

This recently started happening to me too (and many others). It started the night I downloaded a windows update AND a Norton update...

I know Norton has this function to record log in details... Aad, do you use Norton per chance?
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

TerryRussell

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 18:19:06 »

Just complicate things, I don't get it on my main PC with Norton 2009, but I do get it on another one with AVG Free...

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 18:23:05 »

Just a coincidence then, Doc. I know loads of people here have complained about it, but I've only found it since these two downloaded updates.

So, if you get it on one PC but not the other, then it isn't down to the forum then...  ???

Are people finding that it affects ONLY the forum or other web sites too? I found that I couldn't log onto my back as well as it's deleted all that data and won't save it now.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

TerryRussell

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 18:28:32 »

Actually, I am pretty sure it is down to the forum. But none of can figure out exactly what or why. It started when the forum was upgraded and moved to another server. That link seems pretty certain.

Everything after that gets less certain...

Aad The Pirate

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 18:43:50 »

Ahoy Terry,
It's restricted to the VSTEP Website only, as far a I can tell. All sites I visite frequently are satisfied after one NEW Log-In and when that new cookie is saved I can log in automatic. Same now for the forum-site after Mad_Fred's tip. So, isn't it VSTEP's concern to change the faulty link on their website?
I trust them that they monitor the forum too, but nevertheless, I'm planning to contact them on their contact-form and wait for their action.
Kind Regards
Aad

<edit
I placed that question on the contact form at VSTEP's website. Now hold on to your pants: Before I could press the send button I was provided with a list of FAQ's . One of the questions was related to the release date of SS 2010. Here it is, complete with the answer:
What is the release date of Ship Simulator 2010?
Solution:
Ship Simulator 2010 is due to be released in Q4 2009.

Isn't it time that VSTEP is going to bring their website Up-To-Date?
end edit>
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 19:02:48 by Aad The Pirate »

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 18:59:01 »

Hi again Aad,

You're very welcome!  :thumbs:

I shall inform Mark of the faulty link!

He is also looking into these strange other problems with the SMF people already. As some of them haven't been figured out yet, as indeed indicated above.

I'm glad at least the one with the bookmark worked. I had the same thing. It just needed a new bookmark for the current adress.

I suspect the new URL is also triggering some defenses for some people, thus causing some strange problems.

But as said, the big-brained people are looking at it. It's beyond me, personally.  :)

Regards,
Fred

TerryRussell

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 19:09:47 »

Truly, it isn't that it is being ignored. It is just very perplexing.

All the usual causes have been checked, so far as I know. The less likely causes have also been considered and checked. But the investigations continue.

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2010, 19:10:48 »

Hi Fred,

Hope this is not a big hassle, but my Norton Internet Security 2010 is reporting the official Ship Sim website as 'unsafe'.

I will send you a PM with more information.

Regards,

Kev

OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit  |  CPU: Intel i7-4770k @ 3.5 GHz  |  RAM: 16Gb DDR3  |  Graphic Card: Asus GTX 660 DirectCU II OC

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2010, 21:27:16 »

Is that with the 'insight' feature by any chance?

It just looks at previous reports from the norton website and warns you that there have been issues, if so, it doesn't mean there are current problems... I wonder if Norton is a bigger problem than the nasties it *claims* to protect us from..

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2010, 23:32:14 »

Hi Fred,

Hope this is not a big hassle, but my Norton Internet Security 2010 is reporting the official Ship Sim website as 'unsafe'.

I will send you a PM with more information.

Regards,

Kev

Recieved and replied to!  :thumbs:

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2010, 20:24:27 »

Evening all,

I am pleased to advise that Norton Internet Security 2010 has now declared the official Ship Sim website as 'safe' with no virus warnings etc  :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit  |  CPU: Intel i7-4770k @ 3.5 GHz  |  RAM: 16Gb DDR3  |  Graphic Card: Asus GTX 660 DirectCU II OC

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2010, 20:27:01 »

Oh dear, Kevin... When Norton reports something is fine, that's normally when you have to worry...  :doh:

TerryRussell

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2010, 20:29:15 »

Hi Kevin.

I believe that there have been discussions with Norton. Looks like one of them worked. Or perhaps Norton have a time out. Not sure, as they don't publicise how they handle such things (so as to not tip off the wrong do-ers).

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2010, 20:33:12 »

I should point out that my comment was, of course, an off the cuff sarcastic comment about Norton.

I really do not have much faith in Norton at all. Reading the posts on their own help forum doesn't inspire confidence... and it is all so automated with no way of monitoring/stopping XYZ programmes... But it DOES keep warning you of petty, trivial matters (such as your renewal date  ::))

My computer, BTW, runs much quicker since I removed every last trace of Norton... Maybe 5-50% faster.

But, I'm sure Doc T will point out there are other topics dedicated to criticising Norton, so I shall sign that off.

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2010, 20:38:31 »

Oh dear, Kevin... When Norton reports something is fine, that's normally when you have to worry...  :doh:

lol, I hope not, stuart seeing as I use Norton......!  :doh:

Hi Kevin.

I believe that there have been discussions with Norton. Looks like one of them worked. Or perhaps Norton have a time out. Not sure, as they don't publicise how they handle such things (so as to not tip off the wrong do-ers).

Hi Terry,

Reason I found out was because I was checking the Ship Sim website just a short time ago to look for any super packs and noticed that Norton gave the website a green tick symbol (meaning it's a safe website) at the top of my Internet Explorer menu bar

Kev

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2010, 20:43:55 »

I should point out that my comment was, of course, an off the cuff sarcastic comment about Norton.

I really do not have much faith in Norton at all. Reading the posts on their own help forum doesn't inspire confidence... and it is all so automated with no way of monitoring/stopping XYZ programmes... But it DOES keep warning you of petty, trivial matters (such as your renewal date  ::))

My computer, BTW, runs much quicker since I removed every last trace of Norton... Maybe 5-50% faster.

But, I'm sure Doc T will point out there are other topics dedicated to criticising Norton, so I shall sign that off.

I used to steer clear of Norton products as it was bad for hogging system resources.

However with Norton Internet Security 2009 I found it to be quite good actually and does not use up a lot of resources etc and have just installed the 2010 version.

p.s. you were right about one thing - Norton's renewal date reminder is annoying!!!!

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2010, 21:07:03 »

I had the 2010 version... It constantly scans everything I'm doing to let me know if it's safe... the (not responding) is almost burnt into my LCD screen now from loading OE and IE...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines