Hello Guest September 08, 2024, 02:26:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sinking in harbor  (Read 3143 times)

pmillett22

• Forum member
Sinking in harbor
« on: August 15, 2007, 20:45:00 »

Now i have a question. is there going to be a problem with depth of water in the harbor? Cause if I sink the titanic (or any other large ship), the ship should not be completely underwater.

Hudizzle

• Forum member
Re: Sinking in harbor
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 21:24:05 »

I know what you mean. Kinda like in pearl harbor, where the ships were still above the water somewhat. I'd like to know this, too...  ;D
"You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is.. Never try." -Homer Simpson-

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 21:33:37 »

That seems to be no problem. The vessels may only disappear from the water surface, when there is enough water under their keel. Otherwise you should see the upper decks, funnels or mastheads after sinking.

Cheers
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Look at www.elbdampfer-hamburg.de

pmillett22

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 01:49:47 »

okay, here's another question, this game is a simulator, right? (of course!) But every large ship that sank did NOT go down in one piece. especially the titanic. I just want to throw this out there, if there is visual damage from collision, why not realistic sinking, such as the funnels collapse. This may be more a game to some, but it adds more realism to the game. It is an actual possibility, and should be considered as an option to add. what is realistic sinking, without the realistic effect it has on most ships

Hudizzle

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 01:58:39 »

I sounds like a pretty good idea, but they'd probably have to change the models a bit to make it happen.  Like if a funnel falls off, the ropes/lines connected to it disappear. Or a mast. Or lifeboats. I think it would also require some physics modeling to determine ow the pieces fall off.
And of course it can all be done, just look at Silent hunter 4  ;D

Of course, ship sim is no silent hunter 4, and vstep is no big huge major developer with tons of employees and programmers and such. Maybe in time, when the game has evolved and progressed, we will see damage effects like that.

But, it's not up to me to answer, since I'm not a developer or a moderator  :P
Haha

Just my two cents  :D
"You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is.. Never try." -Homer Simpson-

pmillett22

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 02:13:51 »

two cents worth a dollar.

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 14:11:52 »

okay, here's another question, this game is a simulator, right? (of course!) But every large ship that sank did NOT go down in one piece. especially the titanic. I just want to throw this out there, if there is visual damage from collision, why not realistic sinking, such as the funnels collapse. This may be more a game to some, but it adds more realism to the game. It is an actual possibility, and should be considered as an option to add. what is realistic sinking, without the realistic effect it has on most ships

You never know, the patch might have this ability  ;D
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

pmillett22

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 00:38:17 »

I hope it does

neilesmith

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 21:28:07 »

Why do you want to sink anyway?

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 21:28:57 »

Can be fun  ;D

Plus you can simulate sinking. Part of the sim.
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

pmillett22

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 22:01:28 »

Why not? It' snot like your killing anyone anyways.............. :-\ unless you call an animatronic object a person.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines