Hello Guest April 29, 2024, 08:36:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Waltzing Matilda  (Read 17780 times)

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
Re: Waltzing Matilda
« Reply #100 on: January 09, 2010, 20:47:15 »

You think they would waste $2,000,000 and put their crew in danger just for publicity? The boarding thing two years ago might of, but that didn't cost $2,000,000 and the two crew members were in full consent.

Full consent or not, the Captain of BOTH vessels are guilty of endangering their own crew.

The only winners in this high seas saga, I suspect, will be the lawyers who are set to make a fortune when everyone starts to sue each other for damages. Then there's insurance and compensation for the loss of Ady Gil, possible criminal proceedings against BOTH parties due to the failure of duty of care and attention which resulted in damage of property on international seas (firstly, an inquiry probably would have to be launched to find out who is to blame - no doubt the Australian and Japanese Government will launch their own investigation and then blame each other), I could go on and on........

OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit  |  CPU: Intel i7-4770k @ 3.5 GHz  |  RAM: 16Gb DDR3  |  Graphic Card: Asus GTX 660 DirectCU II OC

Sjoerd92

• Forum member
« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2010, 20:52:39 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBdp0zJiQdE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLdUISE3e8c

See that and then take a new oppinion
The captain of the Ady Gil is laying on the wing. The bald guy.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 21:00:51 by Sjoerd92 »

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #102 on: January 09, 2010, 21:06:51 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBdp0zJiQdE

So? There's someone at the helm, because at one point one of the crew calls in to him...
Almost never here, try here.

Sjoerd92

• Forum member
« Reply #103 on: January 09, 2010, 21:11:16 »

So?
Its show clearly that it was a attempt of murder by the japanese.

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #104 on: January 09, 2010, 21:12:27 »

I'm sorry but at no point do the crew show any fear of being rammed, even though even I can see what will happen.

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
« Reply #105 on: January 09, 2010, 21:14:19 »

It is a captain's responsibility to move out of the harm's way in order to avoid any potential collision, whether it be accident or deliberate.

In that video clip, it would appear there was no attempt made by the Ady Gil to reverse her engines (1:18) and she is still making wakes. In fact at 1:31 to 1:34 it would appear she was just going forwards to the Japanese whaleship at the very last minute, prior to the contact.

Don't get me wrong, I find whaling most abhorrent, however the Ady Gil incident does raise some serious questions of seamanship while feelings are running very high - lives could easily have been lost; thankfully it was not this time.

Next time they might not be so lucky.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 21:17:36 by Kevinmcg_ships »
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit  |  CPU: Intel i7-4770k @ 3.5 GHz  |  RAM: 16Gb DDR3  |  Graphic Card: Asus GTX 660 DirectCU II OC

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #106 on: January 09, 2010, 21:18:31 »

So?
Its show clearly that it was a attempt of murder by the japanese.

Tell me, would you (or anyone for that matter) have reached the same conclusion if this had been two fishing vessels fighting over the rights to a fishing 'ground'?

I know it ISN'T... But humour me, please.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Sjoerd92

• Forum member
« Reply #107 on: January 09, 2010, 21:21:06 »

For me its more personal i know that guy on the front with the beanie.
And there is no one at the helm there were 5 people on the ship.
And you can see 5 people on the movie. IF you count the guy who is filming.

If i was on the ady gil i didnt think that the shonan maru would ram us.
And it just a couple of second you can never respawn to that
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 21:23:15 by Sjoerd92 »

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #108 on: January 09, 2010, 21:23:03 »

WHICH ship do you mean, sorry?
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Sjoerd92

• Forum member
« Reply #109 on: January 09, 2010, 21:23:48 »

WHICH ship do you mean, sorry?

Ady Gil

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #110 on: January 09, 2010, 21:24:36 »

He means the Ady Gil.

and he also forgets that there was a crew of 6 aboard Ady Gil...

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #111 on: January 09, 2010, 21:25:06 »

So, no one at the helm... It doesn't make any effort to avoid collision...

I doubt this will even reach a Court then...

EDIT: Clashed with McG. So if there was someone at the helm then he/she should have taken evasive action...

I doubt this will even reach a Courth then...

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
« Reply #112 on: January 09, 2010, 21:28:01 »

And there is no one at the helm there were 5 people on the ship.
And you can see 5 people on the movie. IF you count the guy who is filming.

No-one at the helm? Isn't that a bit irresponsible?

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #113 on: January 09, 2010, 21:29:28 »

Forget it, there probably was.

Unless 1 person fell overboard before the video was made.

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
« Reply #114 on: January 09, 2010, 21:31:45 »

Tell me, would you (or anyone for that matter) have reached the same conclusion if this had been two fishing vessels fighting over the rights to a fishing 'ground'?

I know it ISN'T... But humour me, please.

Cod War springs to mind. Caused major international tension between the UK and Iceland after both British and Icelandic vessels rammed each other a few times, in a dispute over fishing grounds.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #115 on: January 09, 2010, 21:34:45 »

Hmmm... You mean when countries used to fight to protect themselves (rightly or wrongly)? Yes. 'Interesting' times...

Could you imagine Uncle Gordon sending the RN to blockade Icelandic ports until they pay us back our 2.5 billion quid. (could we afford the marine diesel to sail that far anyway)

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #116 on: January 09, 2010, 21:35:42 »

Hmmm... You mean when countries used to fight to protect themselves (rightly or wrongly)? Yes. 'Interesting' times...

Could you imagine Uncle Gordon sending the RN to blockade Icelandic ports until they pay us back our 2.5 billion quid. (could we afford the marine diesel to sail that far anyway)

If we shut down one engine...

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #117 on: January 09, 2010, 21:37:47 »

If we shut down one engine...
I doubt we'd have any choice since the other engine(s) were cannibalised for spares to save money.

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #118 on: January 09, 2010, 22:00:06 »

Exactly my thoughts! - Even when we're out on the boat, me and dad have always made sure one of us is at the wheel at least...

Personally I think the scoreboard is even now...Sea Shepherd have played cat and mouse with the Japanese for long enough, and Japan bit back...As Kevin said, and I agree, I do not support whaling, and I think it is awful - But what is the difference between me ringing a chickens neck or harpooning a whale...morally, both are wrong...yet as humans we do anything to try out different foods and flavours...

From a maritime point of view, Sea Shepherd have over-stepped the mark too many times already, being violent towards the whaling ships...THAT is illegal, and irresponsible of the captain(s), that attempt to ram these ships...putting their own lives at risk, and those who are working on these whaling ships.

Who is to say that the people working on the whaling ships actually want to be there? there are many places which suffer poverty, and many people are glad to get any sort of job...I suppose you could say in that sense, it is similar to where they scrap the ships in Alang...To them, Scrapped Ship = Money. To the Whalers, Whale = Money.

Overall I think both have things to answer for...But as for the way Sea Shep. Behave at sea...No excuses for it..

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines