Hello Guest September 20, 2024, 07:47:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Water taxi, Starboard propellor.  (Read 3593 times)

Traddles

• Global Moderator
Water taxi, Starboard propellor.
« on: August 12, 2007, 17:47:06 »

It would appear that the starb'd prop on the water taxi has stripped it's mountings and is not operating, possibly the gearbox is stripped. The starb'd engine runs fine, but when I try to use power on that side no motion is achieved. spray and exhaust flies up but no drive is effected. Apart form the known fault on the "Sherpa" when entering the north Sea from Rotterdam, this and the same problem with "Red Jet" are the only faultsI've come accross up to now. ??? >:(
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

Shipaddict

• Forum member
Re: Water taxi, Starboard propellor.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 17:57:47 »

Excuse me for my ignorance, but i never knew boats had gears! :D Cool!

lx585x

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 18:07:39 »

Excuse me for my ignorance, but i never knew boats had gears! :D Cool!

they have 18 gears  :P ;D

andy_m

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 18:32:26 »

The water taxi (along with the P6, Arie Visser, Pilot Boat and RJ4) use water jet propulsion so in theory the dont have props full stop  :P
Which begs the question....why are there no jet nozzles modelled?

Regards,
Andy
Why is the Rum ALWAYS gone?

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 22:43:43 »

I appreciate that water jet drive is the means of propulsion in the craft mentioned by Andy. However it still doesn't alter the fact that going astern on the starb'd engine should have some effect on the motion of the vessels. To go ahead one one engine and astern on the other should turn even quite a large vessel short round effectively, or at least that is one of the ideas behind twin engined craft. :o
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

andy_m

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 23:41:28 »

Yes fair point I missed a pargraph of my own post, its late and im tired lol  :P
It should make the vessel 'reverse' with the stern coming around to port, possible bug it may seem then?

Regards,
Andy
Why is the Rum ALWAYS gone?

Stevo

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 14:24:15 »

Hi,

I've noticed the same problem with the Water Taxi and the Powerboat. the starboard engine has no effect at all..
If the water taxi is run on Jets, then when you go astern and steer to the port, shouldn't the bows be going to the port aswell..

Stevo

seegurke

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 14:35:42 »

@Stevo: No that's wrong. When going astern with a jet it's the same as with normal propellers. The bow turns to the opposite direction than you are steering.

Does the effect with the boat only appears with starboard engine? Or is it also with port engine going astern?

steve149c

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 18:56:23 »

Using the water taxi, with the engines split might not have the desired effect due to the distance apart of the two engines not producing enough torque. Large ships, eg container, ferry etc have the engines far apart, which produces large amounts of torque, even the pilot boats have a couple of feet between them, the taxi may not.

Ok just tried it in the game - the starboard shaft/jet doesn't work at all, which to me suggests that infact it is a bug - of that the Taxi is single engineed? I've tried running her up the beach but can't see the hull.

Steve
Ship handling is more of an art than science

steve149c

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 18:58:07 »

@Stevo: No that's wrong. When going astern with a jet it's the same as with normal propellers. The bow turns to the opposite direction than you are steering.

Does the effect with the boat only appears with starboard engine? Or is it also with port engine going astern?

Acutally, a jet never changes the direction of flow, it is purely the bucket that is dropped down, to push the jet of water 180 degrees, hence astern movement. There is no tranverse thrust with Jets. Running astern is the same, rudder to port, then the bow to starboard, stern to port.

A true ship will not steer very well when running astern, hence the usage of bow thrusters. Trying to use the rudder at speed will snap the rudder off, then you are up the creak without a paddle. Yes the game allows this with no damage, but this is going to be fixed, I hope - in the patch
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 20:51:09 by steve149c »
Ship handling is more of an art than science

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 22:30:09 »

Did anyone ever notice every boat has at least 2 props. Or at least the controls are.

The patch looks like it has some joy sticks as steering but what about maneuvering some single prop vessels?

Jeffers

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 22:56:04 »

Did anyone ever notice every boat has at least 2 props. Or at least the controls are.

Both the Vermaas and the Latitude are single screw vessels, with single engine controls.

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 00:00:40 »

Both the Vermaas and the Latitude are single screw vessels, with single engine controls.

Oh they just look like double props... The controls are just fused together...

Ship Sim

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2007, 06:37:57 »

The water taxi (along with the P6, Arie Visser, Pilot Boat and RJ4) use water jet propulsion so in theory the dont have props full stop  :P
Which begs the question....why are there no jet nozzles modelled?

Regards,
Andy
The P6 has two props with the rudder almost right behind them. I saw it in a vedio on one of Vsteps vedio site. ;)

sadsid († 2016)

• IN MEMORIAM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 08:44:04 »

The patch looks like it has some joy sticks as steering but what about maneuvering some single prop vessels?
Yes i noticed when playing titanic mission shows controls for 2 engines 2 rudders i thought
it was bug and be fixed with patch
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 09:21:47 by sadsid »

Dev

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2007, 00:40:14 »

Based on my own experience with small boats with single propellors and one rudder if you revers then it doesnt matter what way you turn the wheel the bow will swing with the wind. however I would also imagine that if the water rtaxi is a jet propulsion boat then the bow should swing in the oposite direction that you steer, personally i have often found that on boats with two jets or propellors quite close two one another it make less of a difference if one is ahead and the other astern than if they were further apart
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines