Hello Guest September 19, 2024, 23:19:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Control Tutorials  (Read 3374 times)

Gwhaarmann

• Forum member
Control Tutorials
« on: November 24, 2009, 05:14:01 »

Is there any tutorials available for operating controls on "azipod" type vessels?

George    KPHX

TJK

Re: Control Tutorials
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 08:41:48 »

mvsmith

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 08:57:30 »

Hi George,
I’ve written a preliminary tutorial on using the azimuth drives. I’ll be expanding it and, probably, including it in the Missions Manual, but this should get you started.+

The latest version is V1.2
I've added instructions for Bugsier 2
I've added instructions for Javelin

There is also a tutorial on controlling the Hovercraft:
The current Version is V1.0
Regards,
Marty
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 08:57:26 by mvsmith »

TJK

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 09:01:49 »

Thanks Marty :2thumbs:

Tore

Wave Music

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 20:32:55 »

Excellent tutorial, Marty!  That will keep the forum a bit cleaner!
keep it gnarly

pusser_uk

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 17:19:16 »

I'm glad I found this topic, I'd have been red-faced when you all told me off for not looking!!  ;D

However, I still find the azimuth drives difficult to deal with using a mouse and, if money were no problem, I would probably get one of those glitzy ship controller thingys to clamp to my desk to see if I could work it better from one of those. For an old guy like me, these funny azimuth things are gonna take a long time to master!   ::)

/\/\ike

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 17:49:43 »

I'm glad I found this topic, I'd have been red-faced when you all told me off for not looking!!  ;D

However, I still find the azimuth drives difficult to deal with using a mouse and, if money were no problem, I would probably get one of those glitzy ship controller thingys to clamp to my desk to see if I could work it better from one of those. For an old guy like me, these funny azimuth things are gonna take a long time to master!   ::)

As it goes with everything, you need to practice. After a while you control them without thinking - you become one with the azimuth units  ;D

The Ship Console isnt really suited for the azimuth units. 2, relative cheaper, joysticks or a gamepad with 2 thumbsticks will also do. This way is also much easier than with your keyboard/mouse. It also takes too long to operate them with your mouse, specially during tight maneuvers.
It's the crew that makes the difference

mvsmith

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 18:44:14 »

After a while you control them without thinking -
And become popular on MP.

Something like the Saitek CYBORG keyboard is also handy because it has six programmable keys down each end. It is also illuminated and replaces your regular keyboard.

For most work with OS or B2, the regular keyboard shift and arrow keys do well. For more precise control, you can combine them with the mouse on just one of the drives.
Unfortunately, on Javelin you need the mouse. However, there is only one drive and you are only maneuvering at low speed.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 18:54:55 by mvsmith »

eviss

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 20:41:18 »

Hi All,

I´m experimenting to contole the ships with the Saitec CYBORG, since buying it just last week.

Something like the Saitek CYBORG keyboard is also handy because it has six programmable keys down each end. It is also illuminated and replaces your regular keyboard.

I use to controle all ships wit the keyboard operating precision-steering. With extra keys for the pod-steering.
 ("Q" <> "W" for left and numeric "/" <> "*" for the right pod). Turning 360+ degrees.

Using this joystick means: abandon the precision-steering in favor of precision throttle-controle, wich is otherwise very tricky to controle (sloppy)! Only a small area give the desired reaction.

For most work with OS or B2, the regular keyboard shift and arrow keys do well. For more precise control, you can combine them with the mouse on just one of the drives.

That brings me to the second observation:

Without the precision-steering the turning of OS or B2 propulsion is restricted to 26 degrees per pod and turning the Z ax with the joystick or 51 degrees when using both pods (keybord) at the same time.

So it works fine when you are controling  just one / simular controled vessels. OS / B2 remains to be controled by precision-steering with the keyboard, I think. JJ3 is mouse operated of course.

The choise is to customise/refine the settings, so it can be used in all situations (if possible)

Happy to hear any comment, trying to make the next step, is welcome !  ;D

vr. gr. / kind regards, Erik
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 20:47:26 by eviss »
THX SF!
Redfox
"Dover-Calais in the same environement !"

pusser_uk

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 14:28:52 »

As it goes with everything, you need to practice. After a while you control them without thinking - you become one with the azimuth units  ;D

The Ship Console isnt really suited for the azimuth units. 2, relative cheaper, joysticks or a gamepad with 2 thumbsticks will also do. This way is also much easier than with your keyboard/mouse. It also takes too long to operate them with your mouse, specially during tight maneuvers.

I have a Saitek Evo joystick, maybe if I find out how, I could program the 11 keys on that!  Only if it doesn't interfere with my Flight Sim.   ;D
/\/\ike

mvsmith

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 15:18:01 »

To clarify a bit:
The choice between running with Precision Steering enabled or disabled is one of personal convenience. In using the arrow keys to control both drives together, the only difference is when to hold the right shift key down. That is because the right shift key switches between enabled/disabled. The check box simply picks which state it is in when the shift key is not pressed.
I prefer the normally disabled state for the reasons stated in the tutorial – rapid return to dead ahead and stop (for the AZ and throttles respectively) by tapping an arrow key rather than reaching for a key on the numeric pad.

In either state of Precision Steering, you can rotate the drives on OS or B2 continuously in either direction with the <> keys if the right shift key is used appropriately.

When changing azimuth incrementally by tapping the <> keys, the size of the increment depends upon how many milliseconds your tap lasts. For that reason it is very difficult to return incrementally to 0 degrees; you need another way to reset the az to zero.

The use of an external controller is another matter entirely; one that I do not address.

eviss

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 17:14:09 »

Good day Marty,

Thank you for explaining the "works" to us.  :thumbs:

The choice between running with Precision Steering enabled or disabled is one of personal convenience.

In either state of Precision Steering, you can rotate the drives on OS or B2 continuously in either direction with the <> keys if the right shift key is used appropriately.

Trying again "your way" reveilled the full turning of the pods using the right shift key pressed.  ;D

The use of an external controller is another matter entirely; one that I do not address.

Me, curious to try / find out if a joystick with double throttle levers could work with ShipSim 2008, ran into new and many different possibilities / obstructions for that matter, in contrast to the previous handling of the Ships, as reported before.  ::)

Not challanging anyone; just observing and reporting the finds and hoping to contribute to the discussion and investigating the new possibilities. (like the new presented Ship controle´s)  :doh:

Maybe the wrong place to post, then here my appollogies are offered.  I know what RTFM means, so . . .   ;D

vr. gr. / kind regards, Erik 
THX SF!
Redfox
"Dover-Calais in the same environement !"
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines