Hello Guest September 19, 2024, 17:05:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

What game is better?

Ship Simulator 2008
- 26 (89.7%)
Ship Simulator 2006
- 3 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: SS2008 V.S. SS2006  (Read 6840 times)

jojo123

• Forum member
SS2008 V.S. SS2006
« on: November 23, 2009, 23:22:05 »

And when the new ss2010 comes out i will have a new poll with all 3 of them,
but for now I will be polling about what people like and what they want to
have improved in the ship simulator games:) :thumbs:

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
Re: SS2008 V.S. SS2006
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 23:26:57 »

SS08 by far, it has more ships, locations, free roam, multiplayer, weather, add-ons.

Wave Music

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 23:30:41 »

keep it gnarly

Ozy783

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 23:33:06 »

I prefere ss08 but I chose SS06 because it runs really fast on my machine and your could attach a towline to any ship like I used to do. I can't do that in SS08 unless it's a mission with a certain ship.

(I made Free-Roam Missions In SS06)

Ignore my spelling mistakes, I'm dyslexic =)
Ship Simulator 2006 & Ship Simulator 2006: Official Addon
Ship Simulator 2008 & Ship Simulator New Horizons
Ship Simulator Extremes & All DLC

My PC:
AMD Athlon x4 630 Processor (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
4096MB RAM
Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 (Approx. Total Memory: 2423MB)

matt5674

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 00:43:39 »

I like Ship Simulator 2008.
Reasons:
More ships
Free roam on all ships
More harbors
waves system
sky system
Custom Missions
Multiplayer
and new bow splash.

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 01:43:05 »

I prefere ss08 but I chose SS06 because it runs really fast on my machine and your could attach a towline to any ship like I used to do. I can't do that in SS08 unless it's a mission with a certain ship.

(I made Free-Roam Missions In SS06)

Ignore my spelling mistakes, I'm dyslexic =)

You can make free-roam missions in SS08.

Captain. Mitch

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 10:07:38 »

Hello!

I chose SS2008 But the 2006 is a very good game to...

There are more ships, better graphic, more mission, free rom on ships, better efetcs... and other
But the SS2006 has YACHT!!!!! And  because that is good for me...

and other...

Good bye!

ChrisCrash

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 03:11:57 »

I am new to both (bought 2006 & 2008 within last 3 weeks) and have played all missions in each.  My initial impression is:

Although 2008 has better gfx, is more flexible, and has more boats & missions, I prefer the controls in 2006 much more....mainly, the throttle and rudder controls. One must use a mouse for them to hold a setting. Also, steering is silly. Without power applied, the boats basically go straight.  As a sailor/boater for 50+ years, I know that is totally unrealistic. Momentum + hydromatic flow over the rudders acts otherwise. 2006 is much closer to reality in this regard. This combination makes the jetski, for example, a joke to control.  Maybe I'm missing something?
In addition, the chart window in 2008 should be moveable.  It blocks one's starboard sight line, so one must constantly hit F4 on/off.
And, the mission where the Sherpa must run forgotten containers to the ship is totally unrealistic.  Why does the container ship suddenly reappear downriver after chasing it upriver for many minutes?  I got within approx. 2 km just to see it pop up aprox. 5 km on the opposite of the chart!!!  That's ridiculous in my opinion.

Those are just a few of my complaints. Frankly, I'm dissapointed with 2008.
I do like having to earn my captains papers in 2008, however.

mvsmith

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 05:16:58 »

Hi Chris,

Some of the boats in SS2008 are Jacuzzi powered. Red Jet is one, the water taxi is another. They have no rudders and, consequently, no steering without power.
The Jetski has no rudder either.

The hovercraft “rudders” are ineffective when the fans are shut down. That craft is usually steered with the forward thrust ducts because it has the dynamics of a hockey puck when steered with the fan diverters.

Ocean Star and Bugsier 2 are steered with azimuth drives.

Even those ships with conventional screws and rudders often have diminished steering without the prop wash over the rudders.

The container ship is an AI vessel; they continually repeat their paths. That is how missions work. If you had caught up to her as the creator intended, that would not be an issue.

As there are well over 100 missions for SS2008, some of them requiring more than four hours to complete, you must have been very busy since the 14th to have done them all.

“Hydromatic”?  What has a Pontiac transmission to do with steering a boat?

Regards,
Marty
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 05:46:40 by mvsmith »

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 06:05:37 »

I have been on a jetski, and a jetboat. Neither can "turn" without power applied.

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 07:56:53 »

Austin is right. Jetboats do not steer when there is no power. But conventionally propelled boats can. So why not in ss08?

I think the dynamics will be better on ship sim pro, that's why it costs much more. Simple as that.
Almost never here, try here.

mvsmith

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 08:02:00 »

Hi A|A,

He seems to be confused on a number of points. The chart seldom obscures anything important in a mission, and the transparency can be set so that both the chart and anything behind it are both visible.

“Captain’s papers” are properly called Master’s licenses. To be a captain requires only a cap. To be a Master Mariner requires somewhat more.
If he has, in fact, completed all the "official" missions, then the ranks indicated on his profile fall far short of "Earning him captains papers". There are no more missions that would add to his rank.

His claim to have completed all missions indicates that he doesn’t know about the many custom missions available for in-game download, the many more available from the Creators Forum, and the ones from the Shipyard.

Perhaps if he bothered to learn more about the operation of the ships, and about the playing and creation of missions, by reading the available manuals and tutorials, he might be in a better position to judge the relative merits of the simulators.

Regards,
Marty
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 08:03:44 by mvsmith »

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 08:17:34 »

Hoy,
I think the 2008 version is better than the 2006.
Just look at the water(waves).
However, it's a very nice thing to see,were this sim came from since 2006 first release.
You can see the hard work from Vstep and some members.
So on the end the "extreme" version will be better than the 2008.
And this is why they do it for.
Marc
N

ChrisCrash

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2009, 12:35:42 »

Marty: If you're going to nitpick typos at least get your facts right.  The hydra-matic tranny was developed by GMC Caddy & Olds divisions simultaneously in 1939.

To the rest.  Ty for the replies.  A few points:  I'm not trying to step on toes here.  You are certainly free to like what you like.  I'm afraid I misled you though...I have not completed all the missions in 2008 yet....maybe 20-25 so far. My apologies for typing too fast & not editing.
As for the AI ship in the mission I referred to, well, I tasked as fast as it would allow, and there was NO way to catch up to the container vessel before it started all over downriver.  If there is a way, I'd like to see it.
Austin: As for jet boats, I completely restored a '63 Jacuzzi jet boat with a 327 short block in '92.  It had a small rudder as stock equipment, so your assumptions are incorrect.  All boats/ships are not created equal.  In fact, two boats of exactly the same model/make will behave differently...although usually subtlely.
As for reading ALL the info on this site....well bite me, Marty.  I have better things to do.  THe GAME refers to "Captain" levels.  I know better, having a 100 ton Masters License...among many other achievments, including a Commercial/Instrument/Multi/Seaplane flying license. Get out of your armchair & get one or two IRL yourself.
If you want to help, tell me how to change the transparency of the chart.

I merely believe that the 2006 game was a good start & they should not have changed so many fundamental controls.  ie: I liked the better birdseye view capability in 2006.  You cannot scroll out as far in 2008.  Also, I liked being able to go from outside view to the binoculars with just the scroll wheel.  It's likely they changed this to add more "walk around" capability...not just the Titanic in '06.  Personally, I could care less about the "walk around" feature. Last item:  I have the english version of both, of course....so why didn't they have a native english speaking person edit it?  2006 was a bit off, but 2008 cries for editing.  How much could that have possibly cost?  Hell, I'd do it for free.

As for the gfx quality...yes, it's better in 2008...BUT...the level of quality is circa 2003 at best.  Not only am I a geek who builds his own PCs etc, but my eldest son has been a major player in the computer games industry for over 20 years...including at LucasArts and EA.  He agrees.

Since some here seem sensitive to criticism of a game they didn't design nor build, I'll be more careful with any future posts.

Chris
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 12:53:44 by Traddles »

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 13:11:17 »

Hi Chris,
I am sorry you see fit to be quite so offensive. As for qualifications many of the folks on this forum are highly qualified in the marine field. I myself have a British foreign going masters certificate which covers ALL sizes of ship not just small ones, but I don't make anything of it. Marty is possibly far more highly qualified than many, but he does'nt wear his pedigree on his sleeve either.
Now to one of your complaints, under the chart, bottom right, is a slider which does exactly as Marty has pointed out. It fades the chart down to a level where you can clearly see through it. ::) All you needed to do is look. :doh: Mind you I cannot see how the chart is obscuring anything, as the ships all sail on the water not in the sky, but that is purely my opinion.
The mission you describe chasing the container ship down river has been dealt with over and over again on the forum here, again all that is required is to look. The handling characteristics of the ships in SS2008 are based on actual dynamics of real ships and have been verified by naval architects and other highly qualified persons. Furthermore these dynamics are frequently updated where they are found to be unrealistic. These updates can be found on the Creators forum and currently on weekly FREE packs from Vstep.
If you are able to find such creative and authentic help in regard to any other game then please feel free to do so.

I would point out, finally, that we are none of us sensitive to criticism of the game, only to uninformed criticism based on insufficient evidence.
Kind regards,
Angus.

P.S. I commend the following to you:-

http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,2886.msg28895.html#msg28895

It is worth noting the name of the author, not bad for someone who sits around doing nothing in his armchair knowing nothing about the game. Whilst on this subject, I should point out that the mission "Forgotten containers" is a recognised faulty mission which has been discussed at length on the forum previously. The mission was remade and posted on the Custom mission file some time ago under the title:- "Forgotten containers (Remake)". This will save your precious time being wasted looking for it.  :evil:
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 14:46:29 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2009, 13:31:30 »

Blah Blah

Some jet boats do have small rudder thingys you can bolt onto the jets, ours did not, and therefore behaved totally differently then a boat equipped with a rudder.

But SS08 DOES have a problem with rudders having no effect without power.

mvsmith

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2009, 14:02:48 »

Hi A|A,
Which of the conventional screw & rudder ships do not steer well without power, but with way on?
Marty

mvsmith

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2009, 14:15:57 »

Chris,
If you read the bold, blue topics at the top of the SS2008 > Missions board, you will find much information about the game, including a Missions Manual that explains, among other things, how to adjust the chart.
You will also find a Mission Editor tutorial. Even if you never attempt to create a mission, it will give you some insight into how missions work.
Here is a link to information on controlling ships that have azimuth drives:
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,16541.msg217793.html#msg217793

ChrisCrash

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2009, 23:05:17 »

Ty for the tips fellas.  Sorry if I got off on the wrong foot.  I do not wear my credentials on my sleeve.  Typically, quite the contrary. I felt I was attacked for merely expressing my opinion in a thread that asked for it.  I will try to be more sensitive in the future.  Many of you clearly take this game more seriously than I think it deserves.  However, there is no doubt that this is one of the best supported games I've ever seen, and for that I commend Vstep.

With that aside...if anyone cares...another difference between 2006 & 2008 I find annoying is that in 2006 one could plan one's route in a mission because all of the waypoints were revealed.  In addition, one could click on a waypoint icon and "scope" the area...such as preplan the approach, etc. to berthing the vessel.  The designers of 2008 took a different approach.  I simply prefer the '06 approach.  Perhaps I'm overly task-oriented. :doh:

Fair winds & gentle seas to all.

Chris

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2009, 23:15:48 »

I'm glad ww3 was averted then... An arguement that I wasn't around to start  :o

for my tuppence worth. This topic is like having Ford model T Vs Aston Martin DB9. Totally pointless question. Again.  ::)
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Kapn Jonah

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2009, 23:17:37 »

ChrisCash,

The people that made SS08, made SS06 too ;)
Regards,
Jonah

ChrisCrash

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2009, 23:25:06 »

Some jet boats do have small rudder thingys you can bolt onto the jets, ours did not, and therefore behaved totally differently then a boat equipped with a rudder.

But SS08 DOES have a problem with rudders having no effect without power.

Austin, the jet boat I restored had one jet (or "pump" as they are called) and a fair sized rudder centered aft...roughly just below the pump's thrust port.  There are many jet boats around my area (well known river here), most with rudders.

MVSMITH:  Ty for the link, but I am quite familiar with azimuth drives.  I love 'em.

Traddles: I'm amazed that you don't find the chart blocking your starboard view....and I'm certainly not talking about the sky (typical UK sarcasm...).  Perhaps it is a resolution setting issue.  I'll fiddle with it.  Ty for the tip nevertheless.

ChrisCrash

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2009, 23:31:41 »

ChrisCash,

The people that made SS08, made SS06 too ;)

No kidding?  Did you think I thought otherwise?  If so, from what post?  Quote please?

It's ChrisCrash, btw.

My impression of the caliber of the forum members here just gets better & better... :sleepy:

So....at what point exactly are you all going to actually discuss the thread's topic?

mvsmith

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2009, 00:19:00 »

So....at what point exactly are you all going to actually discuss the thread's topic?

Hi Chris,
That’s how this rhubarb started. Asking opinions on everything under the sun is a good way to start trouble.
Not that opinions per se are bad, but sometimes those who feel that they are entitled to express their opinions don’t believe that others have a right to express their opinions of those opinions.
Enjoy the games.
Regards,
Marty

ChrisCrash

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2009, 02:48:15 »

Ok...got it.  Opinions are a bad idea here.  Too bad.  In my long life, that is how I learned and made things better....

Slight hijack here (apologies to the thread author): I have run into yet another mission glitch.  The Phi Phi Hovercraft Charter will not indicate that it is completed.  I have searched the forum and found 3 threads about it but the most recent ends June '08.  It directs one to something called the Creators Forum, yet another place one must "join".  Am I correct so far?  Is this for real?  There are KNOWN problems (for YEARS) with the software I paid for and I have to go through all this crapola to fix them???  Why didn't the 1.4.2 patch fix them?  ...or another patch?  This is terrible support.  Not an opinion, just a fact.

What other problems can I expect as I continue to play these 2008 missions?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines