Hello Guest April 25, 2024, 06:45:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 1912 Titanic Navigation Lights  (Read 18896 times)

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
1912 Titanic Navigation Lights
« on: November 07, 2009, 22:23:22 »

VSTEP did a great job making navigation lights for Titanic that meet modern standards.

Just one problem:

It does not match Titanic's lighting!

These new navigation lights for Titanic have their locations match what is shown in the TRMA Titanic rigging plans, and have been made to match when the real behavior as close as I could get them.

The modified light file for Titanic is the first file attached. The other three files are pictures of how the lights look. (The flag texture error is because these pics were taken in MP.) Please note that the aft mast light only comes on when Titanic is being towed.

I hope you enjoy this small modification, and if you wish to make lights for Titanic's decks including these, be sure to give me credit!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 22:27:06 by RMS Gigantic »

matt5674

Re: 1912 Titanic Navigation Lights
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 23:08:16 »

I remember watching the '97 "TITANIC" and saw those light's correct positions and your version is correct! :2thumbs:

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 23:53:08 »

Ah, but that film gets certain things wrong, too, like lighting the bridge and funnels. The bridge had lights, but they were not on when the ship was underway. The funnels did not have any lights which so much as indirectly shone on them!

matt5674

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 00:30:01 »

I couldn't replace the original file. I woshed that Terry makes a Super Pack for Titanic. One with more lights, new horn, and updated navigation lights in the position yours got RMS.

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 00:30:53 »

Why couldn't you replace it?

matt5674

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 00:33:15 »

I kept removing the original light notes and replace it with the new one and it says I don't have permission to it. It also wanted me to send it to My Documents instead of Titanic's Files.

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 00:35:34 »

So your account is not the main one on the computer?

As for sending it, you should be able to change the file's save directory.

matt5674

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 00:41:56 »

So the file directory at the top of the window shows the INCORRECT file location instead of the right one? okay.

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 00:45:45 »

There should be an arrow where you can redirect it from "My Documents" to "My Computer > (C:) > Program Files > Vstep > ShipSim2008 > Actors > Objects > Titanic" and overwrite the existing "titanic.lgt".

TerryRussell

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 01:03:43 »

I couldn't replace the original file. I woshed that Terry makes a Super Pack for Titanic. One with more lights, new horn, and updated navigation lights in the position yours got RMS.

What makes you think I won't? Lots of time to go before Extremes gets released, and as you know, there is at least one vessel being updated every week.

No promises, just tantalising hints.  :evil:

matt5674

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 01:36:51 »

What makes you think I won't? Lots of time to go before Extremes gets released, and as you know, there is at least one vessel being updated every week.

I do extremely like your Super Packs Terry, they are fantastic :thumbs: :2thumbs: I think I will hold out on Titanic's new Nav Lights RMS ;)

TerryRussell

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 03:06:53 »

If you've liked them so far, then there are some fantastic ones to come, yet!  :2thumbs:

matt5674

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 03:14:36 »

I can handle any super pack. Bring them on!! :lol:

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 12:37:18 »

Forget the lights. More importantly there are 4 rivets missing on the deck below the bridge, just in the middle. The model makes it look like a weld mark which- as we all know- is incorrect.

Incidentally, with regard to the funnel lights- I think it not impossible that when abandoning the ship, any and all lights are turned on- in order that people can see where they're drowning.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2009, 16:35:01 »

Forget the lights. More importantly there are 4 rivets missing on the deck below the bridge, just in the middle. The model makes it look like a weld mark which- as we all know- is incorrect.

Incidentally, with regard to the funnel lights- I think it not impossible that when abandoning the ship, any and all lights are turned on- in order that people can see where they're drowning.
Neither paragraph is relevant to the topic.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2009, 17:26:05 »

Ah, but that film gets certain things wrong, too, like lighting the bridge and funnels. The bridge had lights, but they were not on when the ship was underway. The funnels did not have any lights which so much as indirectly shone on them!

Oh. My mistake then...
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2009, 14:47:50 »

It's official: he didn't include them.

TerryRussell

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2009, 16:10:23 »

Quote from this week's Titanic release helpfile:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(2) New realistic lighting Updates for Titanic

See the Ship Simulator Forum for details:

- http://80.95.161.114/shipsim/forum/index.php/topic,16302.0.html

Created by RMS GIGANTIC
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2009, 17:59:04 »

It's official: he didn't include them.

:doh: :doh: :doh:

If you say so...

*Looks at Terry's post

:doh: :doh: :doh:

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2009, 23:24:01 »

Quote from this week's Titanic release helpfile:

(2) New realistic lighting Updates for Titanic

See the Ship Simulator Forum for details:

- http://80.95.161.114/shipsim/forum/index.php/topic,16302.0.html

Created by RMS GIGANTIC
I may have started it, but every light was severely modified and/or replaced to the point where my original purpose in relocating nearly every light on the ship has been destroyed!

Looking at the images above, not too many parallels can be made between the lights posted here and the ones in the superpack. The foremast headlight was relocated back to the crow's nest bell, and now a small light appears off-center at about the height of where my foremast light used to be. The incorrect mainmast light has been re-added, the port and starboard docking lights have been combined into a single constantly lit light on the back of the mainmast, and the stern light has returned to the position where no light ever existed.

Not a single one of my lights made it into this superpack intact, so as far as I am concerned, I didn't make any of the superpack's lights.

I re-downloaded my lights here and replaced the superpack's to get the accurate lights I worked so hard on.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 23:27:55 by RMS Gigantic »

TerryRussell

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2009, 23:28:30 »

I installed the one that you sent me... (the one at the top of the forum)

I wonder if something has got corrupted. Let me go and look. Can you email me that one again? I will get the file replaced.

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2009, 23:29:35 »

I may have started it, but every light was severely modified and/or replaced to the point where my original purpose in relocating nearly every light on the ship has been destroyed!

Looking at the images above, not too many parallels can be made between the lights posted here and the ones in the superpack. The foremast headlight was relocated back to the crow's nest bell, and now a small light appears off-center at about the height of where my foremast light used to be. The incorrect mainmast light has been re-added, the port and starboard docking lights have been combined into a single constantly lit light on the back of the mainmast, and the stern light has returned to the position where no light ever existed.

Not a single one of my lights made it into this superpack intact, so as far as I am concerned, I didn't make any of the superpack's lights.

I re-downloaded my lights here and replaced the superpack's to get the accurate lights I worked so hard on.

Ouch!
Almost never here, try here.

TerryRussell

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2009, 23:37:22 »

I just checked. I downloaded the pack from the Shipyard and installed. I then checked the light file. It is the one at the top of this thread, absolutely unchanged. If it is doing what you say, then the one here must be doing that, or you don't have the version that I uploaded.

We had quite a lot of people testing it, all without problems. Perhaps it is corrupted on the VSTEP server. I'll go see if I can see.

[update]
I have downloaded and installed it three times. On the third time, it was different. I don't know what's happening, but I have re-uploaded the setup file and have asked VSTEP to re-link it. That probably won't happen until Monday.

PS It might have been better if you'd contacted me directly. Had I known earlier, I could have fixed it before everyone went home at VSTEP.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 23:44:51 by TerryRussell »

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2009, 03:43:43 »

I have downloaded the installer 3 times, and each time, the lights are always malformed. I find that every light I replaced before makes a gruesome comeback, in addition to fusion and relocation of my modified lights. If the file is corrupted, it corrupts in a very consistent manner, as it looked exactly like the light setup below 3 times.

The text within "Titanic.lgt" reads the same whether installed or not, but the attached pictures are how they come out to look from the superpack.

Terry, may you link to the corrected file here, please?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 15:59:23 by RMS Gigantic »

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2010, 18:40:42 »

how do you get the titanic as a back round on SS08
Captain Cadet
Please don't message me for technical support!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines