Hello Guest September 20, 2024, 08:00:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How realistic is the sinking?  (Read 2948 times)

TheBigRussian

• Forum member
How realistic is the sinking?
« on: November 04, 2009, 18:41:57 »

I want to play this game and Im wondering how realistic the ships sink, spec. the titanic. I remember playing it before and it would just lower into the water horizontally with random splashing effects. Not very real. Have they released patches that fixed the sinking? Also, are there any mods out there that make it more realistic? I have only played the first version of Ship sim 2008.

Bottman

• Global Moderator
Re: How realistic is the sinking?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 18:51:30 »

Nope! All vessels are still sinking more or less the same way, except those which are capsizing due to other reasons. There are no patches made to improve that feature. :-\
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Look at www.elbdampfer-hamburg.de

Wave Music

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 18:54:56 »

Besides, this is a simulator & the task is to keep ship, crew & cargo in safety, but not sinking it like mad & then go on Youtube & proudly shout "I sank the Pride Of Rotterdam!"

Edit: Bottman...  ::)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 18:57:22 by Wave Music »
keep it gnarly

Kapn Jonah

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 18:57:04 »

Yeah, if you want to sink the vessel, this definitely is not the Sim for you, and i don't think there is one that allows you to sink the vessel "Realistically" for fun...
Regards,
Jonah

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 19:27:24 »

Eeryone to their own, but I never did see why there was such a big fuss about sinking- does anyone REALLY think it was worth all the campaigning and asking and so on?
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

mvsmith

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 23:50:00 »

People are misled by pictures of the way Titanic sank. A model would need to be specially designed to break up that way, as the real Titanic was designed to do. Although Harland & Wolff did not realize it at the time, they had designed the beginning of the crack into her as an expansion joint. They failed to prevent the stress at the bottom of the joint on the hull sides from causing the joint to continue further down the side.

World War II vintage Liberty ships and T2 tankers would often crack in half, but the two halves often continued to float for a long time. In fact, it was common practice to weld recovered bows to other recovered sterns so they could kill more seamen.

If you are interested, you can manage to sink ships in interesting ways, but you cannot break them.

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 12:33:44 »

Talking of Liberty ships, the Company I worked for had a number of these vessels to replace losses sustained during WW2. A Master in the Company was a very good cartoonist and I remember one cartoon that he made showing a Liberty ship broken in half with the caption underneath:- S.S. "Bisector", ex "Samsplitz". All the ships of the Company were named after trades or professions, hence "Bisector"!!!! Many of these ships were first named "Sam........" after Uncle Sam.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 12:35:36 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

mvsmith

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 15:31:09 »

Hi Angus,
A very good book on that subject is Robert Frump’s “Until the Sea Shall Free Them”.
Life, death, and survival in the Merchant Marine
ISBN 978-1-59114-284-3
Trivia question:  The title is a quote from..?  Clue: The dedication.
Regards,
Marty

Wave Music

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 15:52:17 »

All the Men will be sailors then, until the sea shall free them - Leonard Cohen
keep it gnarly

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 15:56:39 »

Thanks for that WM. :thumbs: Marty had me stumped with that one. :doh:
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

mvsmith

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 17:21:21 »

Correct WM,
Frump dedicated the book for Suzanne, who happens to be his wife. I doubt she is the same one that Cohen knew, the subject of his poem/song of that title.
Regards,
Marty

Incidentally, in the song, Cohen attributes that quote to Jesus, who got his Z-card by walking on the water.
Did anyone catch Leonard’s concert at the Oxygen Molecule last year?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 17:28:41 by mvsmith »

huggys

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 23:49:28 »

Yeah, if you want to sink the vessel, this definitely is not the Sim for you, and i don't think there is one that allows you to sink the vessel "Realistically" for fun...
ha ha thats where you are wrong there is a boat sim called er i think its boat sim or something and you hit this button called sink and it skins it like the boat would dif sinking for each boat

Wave Music

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 23:56:18 »

ha ha thats where you are wrong there is a boat sim called er i think its boat sim or something and you hit this button called sink and it skins it like the boat would dif sinking for each boat

Nah, for realistic sinking of ship I'd prefer to hit the button "Torpedo 1: Launch" in SH4.
keep it gnarly

nvmaldives12

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 11:31:56 »

i wish would come a single patch for sinking  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines