Hello Guest September 20, 2024, 05:04:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unzip Help Required.  (Read 4931 times)

killwilly

• Forum member
Unzip Help Required.
« on: November 03, 2009, 13:44:57 »

Hello everyone.

I downloaded the free upgrade from version 1.1, (2008) to version 1.4, which took about 30 minutes. On completion it went into a zipped folder, which I am now unable to open, when I try, my computer goes berserk, with everything jumping all over the screen

Any ideas what I can try? I am running Vista.

Many thanks.

TJK

Re: Unzip Help Required.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 14:55:11 »

Hello everyone.

I downloaded the free upgrade from version 1.1, (2008) to version 1.4, which took about 30 minutes. On completion it went into a zipped folder, which I am now unable to open, when I try, my computer goes berserk, with everything jumping all over the screen

Any ideas what I can try? I am running Vista.

Many thanks.

right click on the zip folder and those unzip and then you can open it an run the .exe file to install the update

killwilly

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 14:44:54 »

right click on the zip folder and those unzip and then you can open it an run the .exe file to install the update

Thank you for your reply. I have now unzipped the file by using 7-Zip software, but not quite sure how to attach it to the original Ship Sim 2008 file.

Alan.

TJK

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 14:48:37 »

HI
If it are a mission put it here
C:\Users\your username\Documents\ShipSim2008 UserData\Custom Missions

or if it are a update exe file joust double click  on it and run the setup and follow watt it say

TJK
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 14:56:46 by TJK »

TerryRussell

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 23:18:54 »

Thank you for your reply. I have now unzipped the file by using 7-Zip software, but not quite sure how to attach it to the original Ship Sim 2008 file.

Alan.

This is the update patch for 1.1 =>1.4.2, right?

It should be an executable file (filename ends in .exe if your copy of windows is configured to show file extensions). Just click double-click the file.

Can you let me know from which site you downloaded this? There shouldn't be any 7-zip versions around, so I'll speak with the site owners and make sure that they have the correct download in their hands.

Thanks!

killwilly

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 08:44:51 »

This is the update patch for 1.1 =>1.4.2, right?

It should be an executable file (filename ends in .exe if your copy of windows is configured to show file extensions). Just click double-click the file.

Can you let me know from which site you downloaded this? There shouldn't be any 7-zip versions around, so I'll speak with the site owners and make sure that they have the correct download in their hands.

Thanks!

Hello Terry, you are correct with the patch update, but I can't remember which site I obtained the download, there were four.

My copy ends with zip, not exe. Perhaps I should remove the one I have and try another.

Would it be possible for you to suggest an alternative?

Many thanks.

Alan.

TJK

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 09:31:08 »

HI
Try this site, I like this best
http://www.gamershell.com/download_26732.shtml

TJK

killwilly

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 10:31:34 »

Hi guys.

I have now unzipped the original download using 7-Zip, which is currently stored in "My Documents". My problem now is, how to incorporate it into Flight Sim 2008. Sorry if I appear to be an idiot, I came into computing quite late in life..... 65.  :doh:

Alan.

killwilly

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 08:58:59 »

My original download ends in zip, not exe. Should I try another download, perhaps from gamershell.com?

jibemorel

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 09:41:29 »

If your download is still in .zip, that means you didn't extract (unzip) it previously.
Try to do double-click on it then 7-zip should open itself, if not right click and then choose extract to.
A box asking you where you want to extract the file should open, choose a convenient location (c:\desktop) by example. Then the extracted file should be a .exe file, you just have to double click on it a follow the procedure.

TJK

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 11:11:38 »

HI killwilly
you don't need a zip program in windows. you only need to right click on the zip file and extract it and run the exe file in it
TJK

TerryRussell

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 16:16:21 »

HI killwilly
you don't need a zip program in windows. you only need to right click on the zip file and extract it and run the exe file in it
TJK

But only if you have XP or later. Windows 2000 needs an unzip program.

Also, the Windows versions don't seem to handle 7-zip very well, if at all.

TJK

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2009, 16:25:36 »

But only if you have XP or later. Windows 2000 needs an unzip program.

Also, the Windows versions don't seem to handle 7-zip very well, if at all.
That's correct Terry, if he have that i will say download winrar instead, that program can unpack all type of files, rar, zip,ico and more BDW he are running Vista
Tore

TerryRussell

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2009, 16:32:00 »

BDW he are running Vista

Yes, I saw. My comment was for those who aren't. Some of us dinosaurs still run Windows 2000.  ;D

TJK

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2009, 16:41:14 »

Yes, I saw. My comment was for those who aren't. Some of us dinosaurs still run Windows 2000.  ;D

lol
 :lol:
i still run windows 3.11 workstation on a old pc, and it still  works "perfect"  :lol:

killwilly

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2009, 09:14:10 »

HI killwilly
TJK

I tried that after the download and my computer screen went crazy. It was flashing and jumping everywhere, lots of IE boxes in the bottom toolbar. The only way I could close was, Ctrl, Alt+ Del. :o Someone on a techie forum recommended the 7-Zip software.

Alan.

TJK

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2009, 13:59:10 »

Hi Allan
you see the 7-Zip software dos not support windows so well as Terry say, if you need a zip software use aider win zip or rar software they are more supported with windows OS. so un install 7-Zip but as i say you don't need it on Vista
TJK
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 14:01:17 by TJK »

Wave Music

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2009, 14:05:21 »

you see the 7-Zip software dos not support windows so well as Terry say, if you need a zip software use aider win zip or rar software they are more supported with windows OS. so un install 7-Zip but as i say you don't need it on Vista
TJK

Tore, I just unzipped one Winrar archive with the 7-Zip on my Windows XP.  Everything works Ok, no problem found.
keep it gnarly

TJK

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2009, 14:09:32 »

Tore, I just unzipped one Winrar archive with 7-Zip on my Windows XP.  Everything works Ok, no problem found.

well maybe xp are more supported an vista then, you know they are to different OS and vista are more strict with watt you use and almost all 3 parts softwares most run as a administrator to work properly . i have newer tryout this 7-zip i only talk out from my experience
TJK  

TerryRussell

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2009, 16:45:12 »

Tore, I just unzipped one Winrar archive with the 7-Zip on my Windows XP.  Everything works Ok, no problem found.

Please don't get confused over what I said. It was this:

Windows cannot usually handle files that have been zipped using 7-Zip.

To open such files you will need 7-zip itself. I know, I have it installed on my PC for 7-zip files and also for rar files.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines