Hello Guest September 19, 2024, 22:40:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there an actual sailboat for boatsimulator 2008??  (Read 5048 times)

zmanff

• Forum member
Is there an actual sailboat for boatsimulator 2008??
« on: October 31, 2009, 07:52:29 »

HI fellow boaters, i was just wondering if anyone new of a saiboat..you know the cloth kind with wind etc.  that is dowloadable for boatsim 2008?
thanks
zmanff
Doug. 

mvsmith

Re: Is there an actual sailboat for boatsimulator 2008??
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 08:31:52 »

Why are you asking in the Missions section about downloading a sailboat for a Boat Simulator? 
You might be thinking of Sail Simulator 5, which probably has sailboats.

This is Ship Simulator. The wind does not act directly on ships at present, so you would be eternaly becalmed. There are no player sailing ships.

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 09:03:17 »

Marty,

What does wind speed effect currently, besides the texture uses on the waves.

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 11:04:11 »

Marty,

What does wind speed effect currently, besides the texture uses on the waves.

Well, to put it in "Real Terms", The wind should be what actually AFFECTS the waves...Without wind, you don't get waves...

Generally, in a very strong wind, you see what we call the "Horses" (The White foam) - Which is what you know you should keep away from...

The effect of the wind on a ship/mass at sea, is also called "Leeway", in other words, you get blown off your course because of the wind directly...On top of that, you get "Set and drift", which is where the tide moves you away from your course...The two together can be under-estimated by skippers. leeway can affect some boats/ships more than others, depending on the Superstructure which the wind can grasp...Set and drift effects pretty much everything, though, because it's what's under the water..Sometimes you can be pushed at 2-3 knots, if you're stationary, even more, at times!

Although that doesn't have anything to do with Ship Sim itself, I thought I'd contribute the bits I know!!

Jack.
p.s. Note: You don't have to be stationary for either to affect you...Trans-Atlantic liners and such travel in a curve, as oppose to a line (Forgot the name now...It'll come to me soon), to try and combat the effects of Leeway/Set and drift...and all the other factors..
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 11:13:39 by IRI5HJ4CK »
Kind Regards,
Jack.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 11:24:03 »

Very useful and informative, but I think AA was referring to the dynamics in the game rather than this thing called 'reality'
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 11:32:18 »

rather than this thing called 'reality'

:doh: :lol:
Kind Regards,
Jack.

TerryRussell

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 11:43:00 »

Hi Jack.

(Going to the airport tomorrow. Note to self: Do not say "HI JACK" when there)

in a very strong wind, you see what we call the "Horses" (The White foam)

Here they are called "White Horses". In Selsey, surrounded by sea, we have a number of places called "White Horses", including a very large caravan site and a nursing home.

rans-Atlantic liners and such travel in a curve, as oppose to a line (Forgot the name now...It'll come to me soon)

Often referred to as a "Great Circle". Also known as "The Rhumb Line" (see the Admiralty Manual of Navigation, Volume II, chapter 1).

"The most convenient course for a ship to steer is a steady course; one along which the bearing of her head remains constant. Her track must then cut all meridians at the same angle;  ... is known as a rhumb line"

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 11:54:52 »

Oops Terry, :doh:
A rhumb line is not the same as a great circle. A rhumb line, if extended, will cross every meridian at the same angle,. this produces the same effect as the Fu Fu bird, i.e. it will approach the pole in ever diminishing spirals without actually reaching it. ::) The great circle is merely a circle whose centre is at the centre of the earth and is drawn on the surface of the earth. Thus a ship sailing a great circle must alter her course frequently to stay on the circle. It is, of course, the shortest distance between any two points on the earths surface, whereas the rhumb line is not.
And Jack, that is why Transatlantic liners used the great circle route, purely to get from A to B as fast as they could.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 11:57:50 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

TerryRussell

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 12:28:05 »

Quite right! A rhumb line would only approximate a great circle over medium distances. Within the environments of Ship Simulator, you'd never notice the difference, though.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.  ;)

[update]
Chapter II of Volume II of the Admiralty Manual of Navigation:

If a ship followed the great-circle track she would have to change course continually. In practice the great-circle track is divided into suitable lengths, successive points on the great circle being joined to follow a succession of rhumb lines.

For anyone not following this, the rhumb line is the track the a vessel heads if you go in a "straight line". Because there are no changes of heading, it is economical of fuel and time. But because the earth is a globe, it isn't the shortest distance!

The great-circle track is the route you want to follow to cover the shortest distance. But to do that, you have to keep changing the ship's heading, which is wasteful of time and fuel. So there is a compromise to be reached.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 14:51:06 by TerryRussell »

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 12:36:40 »

Here you can see the difference in distance between great circle and rhumbline (or Loxodrome as they call it in the progam) between a voyage from Bischop Rock, UK to Jacksonville, USA

You can also use a composite track, a combination between great circle and rhumb line. For instances, if you don't want to reach the highest point of great circle (vertex).
It's the crew that makes the difference

TerryRussell

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2009, 12:40:02 »

Hi Ballast!

I've added a "non technical" explanation to my post above.

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2009, 12:43:34 »

I couldnt said it better  :thumbs:

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2009, 12:49:47 »

I'm getting there at least :lol:
Kind Regards,
Jack.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2009, 12:59:23 »

from one non UK based ferry operator I was on recently, I think they navigated by 'second cloud to the left', 'mind that seagul' and 'this is a passenger announcement. No need to panic. Does anyone know how to navigate?'
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2009, 13:01:45 »

from one non UK based ferry operator I was on recently, I think they navigated by 'second cloud to the left', 'mind that seagul' and 'this is a passenger announcement. No need to panic. Does anyone know how to navigate?'

Was it black, a bit like a fishing vessel, and sailing in Antartica?

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2009, 13:05:50 »

:lol: :D
Kind Regards,
Jack.

Sam

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2009, 13:34:37 »

"Set and drift", which is where the tide moves you away from your course

This is not correct.

Drift has nothing to do with current or tide.
Drift is the correct term for wat you call "leeway".
It is the angle that the wind pushes you away from your course.

(I have a big test about all this on monday so I just happen to know it  ;D)

Capt. Matt

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2009, 15:02:35 »

Uhm I thought jack was right, when you drift isnt it when the tide/wind (as Jack said) take you offcourse, but if you have a test on it I guess your right :P

Thanks TJK!
Intel Core i7 930@ 2.8GHz, 12GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz, Asus P6X58D-E, EVGA GeForce GTX 650 2 Win

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2009, 15:57:01 »

Oh good grief, it was chaotic but nothing as bad as the one you mean.

mvsmith

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2009, 16:00:51 »

To the original question: The effect of wind in the sim is on the sea state. It will cause a ship like Titanic to fall off her heading, as you can see in some exercises in T2.

Absent any real information from VSTEP, it is difficult to separate that effect from wheel walk, or anomalies in the ship’s dynamics. One can spend many happy hours with the Mission Editor devising and running tests to see how SS actually performs.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2009, 16:03:26 »

Marty
The only problem with that is when those of us who haven't had the opportunity to captain the real Titanic don't have anything to compare it with. ;)

mvsmith

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2009, 16:17:53 »

To be picky, wind, or the odd subsea seismic event, is the generator of waves. The strength of the wind, along with the fetch (the distance over which the wind is active) determines the height of the waves.
After waves have traveled beyond the area where the wind is active, they are called swell. The height of the waves is then mainly influenced by the water depth and by interference with other swells.
Those other swells are often the result of diffraction or reflection of the primary swell.
When two storm systems intersect (as in “The Perfect Storm”), you can get a hairy confused sea,

mvsmith

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2009, 16:21:38 »

Stu, there is ample evidence and documentation on how the real Titanic performed: Poorly.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 18:14:54 by mvsmith »

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2009, 16:50:41 »

This is not correct.

Drift has nothing to do with current or tide.
Drift is the correct term for wat you call "leeway".
It is the angle that the wind pushes you away from your course.

(I have a big test about all this on monday so I just happen to know it  ;D)

Well....Good luck with your test,

"Leeway is the motion of an object that floating in the water to leeward due to the component of the wind vector perpendicular to the object’s. The National Search and Rescue Supplement to the International Aeronautical and Maritime Search and Rescue Manual defines leeway as, "the movement of a search object through water caused by winds blowing against exposed surfaces." However, the resultant total motion of an object is made up of the leeway drift and the movement of the upper layer of the ocean caused by the surface currents, tidal currents and ocean currents. Objects with a greater exposure to each element will experience more leeway drift and overall movement through the water than ones with less exposure."

--------------------------------

"In navigation set and drift are characteristics of the current or the velocity of water over the ground in which a ship is sailing.

Drift is the magnitude of the current (typically measured in knots) and set is the bearing in the direction the current is flowing. Bearing is measured in degrees clockwise from either magnetic or true (geographical) North."

So, if you're saying to me that:

"Drift has nothing to do with current or tide.
Drift is the correct term for wat you call "leeway".    - That doesn't match up with the above...

Leeway = Wind
Set and Drift = Tide.

Let me know what score you get!!

Jack.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 16:53:40 by IRI5HJ4CK »
Kind Regards,
Jack.

Capt. Matt

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2009, 17:03:33 »

Jack  ::)

Thanks TJK!
Intel Core i7 930@ 2.8GHz, 12GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz, Asus P6X58D-E, EVGA GeForce GTX 650 2 Win
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines