Hello Guest April 29, 2024, 16:32:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Ship Console  (Read 37283 times)

jetfoilman

• Forum member
Re: Ship Console
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2009, 20:28:46 »

Hi, I have also bought the ship console . Programming the button-activated functions via the shipsimulator 2008 settings is no problem but the joystick-related functions (rudder / engine throttle) don't function correctly (engine not at all !)
Seems to be working in your case ; can you please give me some advice/information on what settings I should use .
Thanks for the effort !

jetfoilman

• Forum member
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2009, 10:05:26 »

I have this controller as well and to be honest ; it does not do what it promisses ! The console comes without a software driver and has to be programmed within shipsimulator itself. No problem for button-activated functions (sound horn, drop anchor etc....) but the joystick-related functions (rudder/thrust throttels) are very difficult to program/fine-tune . Almost impossible to program midship or 0-throttle. Works well with single-engine ships but can not program for twin-engine ships.

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2009, 18:12:14 »

Where did you purchase the Ship Console from?  Is it from the Simware website?

Also if you don't have software driver, you should be able to download one from the manufacturer's website. (or contact their customer support)

Do keep us updated as it has been assured by both Vstep and manufacturer that the Ship Console DO work with SS2008.
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit  |  CPU: Intel i7-4770k @ 3.5 GHz  |  RAM: 16Gb DDR3  |  Graphic Card: Asus GTX 660 DirectCU II OC

jetfoilman

• Forum member
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2009, 12:46:33 »

Guess I have solved the problem ; the procedure is as follows : first you allocate within shipsim (options/prefecences/gamecommands) what button/joystick you want to allocate to what function . Afterwards you have to callibrate the ship console and this is where I went wrong . The callibration is done via the configuration of your PC where the console can be found as a "USB controller pad" . If you doublclick it, it opens a callibrationprogram. I must say the program is not very straightforward ; you are asked to callibrate X/Y/Z axes but you have no clue what they represent. At the end of the day I have the console working and I must say I am pleased with it . The only weak point is that the thrust throttles have some difficulty finding back the 0 RPM position when put back in stop ; this can only be achieved by some manual finetuning . Anybody out there having the same problem/solution ?

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2009, 12:53:23 »

Glad to hear your problem has been solved  :2thumbs: and thanks for explaining how you solved it, as it means anyone else who are experiencing the same problem will know what to do, thanks to you.

Would be interesting to find out if anyone have a solution for the 0 RPM position.

OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit  |  CPU: Intel i7-4770k @ 3.5 GHz  |  RAM: 16Gb DDR3  |  Graphic Card: Asus GTX 660 DirectCU II OC

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2009, 12:57:16 »

Don't you feel a "click" or something when you put the trottle at the 0 rpm position?
It's the crew that makes the difference

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2009, 13:17:34 »

I used to have trouble finding the 0 position on my Saitek X52 joystick, untill I found you can modify the "deadzones" of the different axes..This means an area in the middle-position where the control does not respond..
I use it for my throttle, so it does not have to be exactly in the middle..
Perhaps an idea for a software update for this controller..?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 13:29:14 by saltydog »

jetfoilman

• Forum member
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2009, 13:41:32 »

You feel a "click" when you put the thrust throttles (and rudder) in the neutral position but this is a "hardware" situation ; what I mean is, though the throttles are in their neutral (hardware) position, the information windows still shows that the engine is running at some RPM's . Putting little bit in reverse and then back to neutral triggers 0 RPM . That is what I meant by fine-tuning . Hoping for a softaware-update is not realistic because the console comes without any driver software. This is probably what makes it so compatible with all the simulation programs on the market but I only want to use it with shipsim, so I would prefer some specific software release for this as well !

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2009, 12:08:30 »

what I mean is, though the throttles are in their neutral (hardware) position, the information windows still shows that the engine is running at some RPM's . Putting little bit in reverse and then back to neutral triggers 0 RPM .
;D This could be very realistic! I've handled a few vessels, where the clutches won't work different to your description. Therefor I had to do the same as you do to get the engine declutched. Well, that's for sure not realised here!  :doh:
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Look at www.elbdampfer-hamburg.de

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2009, 18:45:07 »

If it really bothers you, perhaps you could assign the commands Engine 1 reset / Engine 2 reset to the two buttons below the throttles..But perhaps you can get used to the throttle the way it is..
As Bottman says, it could be very realistic.. ;)

jetfoilman

• Forum member
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2009, 13:53:34 »

I have tried your solution = allocating the engine reset function to a button, but as soon as you release the button, the throttle function gets back in place, starting the engine again . I must say that I do not experience this situation as a big negative point, as the engine is only running a few RPM's and as I have written before, just a small click astern and the engine is stopped .

andrej

• Forum member
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2009, 18:24:11 »

Which is the height (cm ) engine throttles?
Is it possible to use the console (engine throttles, bowthruster) in walkthrough mode ?

jetfoilman

• Forum member
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2009, 15:51:30 »

The height of the throttles is 7 cm . The ship console does not work in the walkthrough mode .

Matthew Brown

• Forum member
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2010, 17:17:05 »

Well folks,

After saving up for a while, I finally ordered the Ship Console Unit through the Vstep website (which then goes on to Simware) on Sunday 24th January and it then was revealed to me that it was completely out of stock (despite saying it was in stock on both the Vstep and Simware websites  :doh:) and new stock wouldnt arrive for TWO WEEKS!  ??? :o

So I finally got the email saying they had dispatched it on Friday 29th January (which wasnt as bad as i thought) and it is curently coming in the post out here to Spain (touch wood) which strangely takes the longest to arrive from the netherlands with an estimated delivery of 12-15 days for both Spain and Poland.

And now I have only just seen the other console unit! ShipDriver  :doh: But I will just keep thinking negative thoughts about the other one, it looks far to plastic, may not be compatible with ss, ss have already got a deal for the wilco one, the shipdriver one isnt out until winter 2010. So I dont know!

Many Kind Regards

Matthew Brown

P.S. It IS compatible with windows vista isnt it!?  :doh: I mean its only a USB connection with no disc, its all manual set up.

madmex

• Forum member
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2010, 18:24:04 »

Shipdriver is coming winter 2010 http://www.shipdriver.com/

its look nice  :thumbs:

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2010, 19:01:45 »

I am not holding my breath on that one..  it's has been overdue for at leat 5 release dates, I think.  :doh:

It's been that same site, with the same photo, since SS06 was around. And all that chages is the caption in the photo and the first line of the text. With a later date every time.  :)

Fred

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2010, 19:07:54 »

I'm not going to buy the Ship Console, I just think it's very overpriced...
Almost never here, try here.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2010, 19:13:25 »

You have to remember though, that the picture is just of a mockup. A plastic empty model.

The real deal will be like it's older brother the traindriver, way more sturdy and with metal, not this tacky cheap plastic. And in all fairness, that is good value for money. Not that I have it, but I have played with it.

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2010, 19:17:11 »

But seriously? €350? You've got to be joking! My £50 wheel is more representative of a ship's wheel, and has more buttons and so on and so forth... Why are they charging so much for a bundle of components that probably only cost them €30 at the most?

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2010, 19:18:50 »

You have to remember though, that the picture is just of a mockup. A plastic empty model.

The real deal will be like it's older brother the traindriver, way more sturdy and with metal, not this tacky cheap plastic. And in all fairness, that is good value for money. Not that I have it, but I have played with it.

Perhaps that's part of the problem. Everyone is looking at this mock-up picture and thinking "urgh, plastic!" when the real one is more strudy with metal parts. Maybe it would help if PI Engineering change the pitcure showing a real Ship Driver console.

Mind you, I wonder how this would affect shipping charges due to the weight, as I've heard Traindriver is quite heavy  :o

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2010, 19:19:54 »

oh wow..

Sorry I didn't see that.. last time I read it seriously it sais 200..   :doh:

So they got not only lazier, but more greedy too..  ;D

Well I'm not buying it anyway, I took 50 Euro's and bought one of those BDU0386 circuit boards and some electronics hardware like potmeters and such, and made my own. Doesn't look too good yet in it's prototype state, but it works like a charm and I have 2 rudders, 2 thrusters, 2 throttles, 12 buttons and room for 20 more buttons and 2 axis.

For 350, I can make myself something with that circuit board that would kick the pants off of their one.  ;D

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2010, 19:20:54 »

Maybe it would help if PI Engineering change the pitcure showing a real Ship Driver console.

I wonder..  something tells me they don't have one yet. I mean.. if they already had the real deal, why would it take yet another year for them to be released?

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2010, 19:27:14 »

But seriously? €350? You've got to be joking! My £50 wheel is more representative of a ship's wheel, and has more buttons and so on and so forth... Why are they charging so much for a bundle of components that probably only cost them €30 at the most?

And don't forgot these "bundle of compoments" must pass stringent electronic and safety laws in different parts of the world, which could push up the costs considerably.

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2010, 19:29:01 »

I wonder..  something tells me they don't have one yet. I mean.. if they already had the real deal, why would it take yet another year for them to be released?

Hmm, you could be on to something here, Fred.....the reason they are using a mock-up picture.....[drumroll]..... is because they don't have a real one built yet!!!!!!  ::)  :lol:  :doh: lol

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2010, 19:29:22 »

So? Logitech managed?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines