Hello Guest March 29, 2024, 12:07:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: walking on the ships?  (Read 5927 times)

Ferrymaster

• Forum member
walking on the ships?
« on: May 06, 2007, 11:17:22 »

hello,
you can walk around in SS2008 on all ships?

KDS

• Forum member
Re: walking on the ships?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 11:31:07 »

hello,
you can walk around in SS2008 on all ships?

I think that there is a walk around feature on all boats, it shows you in the development videos.  ;)
Best Regards
Kevin

matt105

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 10:19:52 »

Yes i think you will be able to walk around as it does show you the walking around in the video clip  ;D
But can you fall off when your walk around in rough seas? thats the question  :P

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 11:50:45 »

I assume it is just selected parts of the deck, like titanic in 06?

It might be a bit time consuming (and processor consuming) to make ships were you can wander round all decks.

sTu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Captain Davies

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 16:22:35 »

You can walk on all the ships, that's why there is to be such a delay before the base game ships are added, because they need to be programmed so that it is possible, where as the Titanic already has the feature.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 16:53:14 »

Sorry, I meant that it will be limited to the upper outer deck, like in Titanic.

I think some people were expecting every deck, every room, cabin, engine room etc to be available.

Stuart
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Captain Davies

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 21:56:19 »

I think some people were expecting every deck, every room, cabin, engine room etc to be available.

There is no way that will be implemented in SS2008.  Fully exploreable ships simply ask too much of our computers.

kanhf0514

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 11:57:11 »

For the room in a ship, can it like be what happened in the game "Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific", it will go into a detailed room but without walking, and when the ship sink, some water will go into the room, I think this will not be too complicated for a computer game! I think if we combind both SS walking mode and the "Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific" room, it will be great!

pjotr

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Forum member
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 21:00:08 »

Just to give you a rough idea: it takes a lot of work to make a good external 3D model of a ship. But a good interior 3D moodel can take 3 - 4 times as much effort! In Silent Hunter you can explore "just" one or more submarine interiors. Big ships have lots more interior space than 2nd WW submarines...
We feel that our development effort is much better spent on things like gameplay, waves, ship motions etc.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 01:04:05 »

I agree 100%.

I think if we all keep asking for this, that and the other the quality of the overall product would decrease as we simply can't have everything.

Personally, whilst walking to the bridge wings of titanic was good, I have to admit that walking the deck really didn't add much to it for me (sorry for whoever spent the time making it...(

Stu

mporter

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 02:25:44 »

I agree -- the bridge-wing view is very helpful when coming alongside, but I don't much care aobut walking around the ship.

Cheers,
Michael
Michael Porter Marine Design
www.mp-marine.com

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2007, 11:15:55 »

Eh? Someone agreeing with me on something?

Right... Err... I change my mind. Whatever I said, I now think the opposite. ;)

Stu

zilverenmist

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2007, 12:21:02 »

I am completely satisfied with the way it is in ss2006. But as engineer it would be cool to have a 1 point engineroom view.
I want to have the  possibillity to jump in the water after a crash (joke).
What i miss most in probably both 2006 and 2008 is blowing the horn, pulling the wisstle cord, I miss my own horn.
Some other things I would like as extra is fuel and fuel economy, not just being the fastest.
Sail at night with city and navigation lights, and eventual full moon.
But I am already very content with ss2006 and add on.
The only other thing I hope the future will bring is a game shipyard simmulator, with that you can build ships for use in ship simulator.

Regards,

Rob

my delftship customisation:http://home.hetnet.nl/~zilverenmist/delftship.jpg
my jump with ss2006 P_6 files changed http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpZJ-xkznnc
my biggest jump in ss2006 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGfvWYexm7Y

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 12:46:56 »

Hello Rob

I think fuel economy is a brilliant idea, and I've championed the idea before. But you are right that there is every reason to be satisfied with the programme as it is.

Did I not read here that night sailing IS to be included? I may well be wrong there.

Stu

andy_m

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2007, 12:49:16 »

Yeah I recall on the SS08 page that night missions are mentioned.
Though if I could have only one improvement/change in the new version that would be the AI, its a little too suicidal/dumb in SS06 which can cause frustration sometimes.
Regards,
Andy
Why is the Rum ALWAYS gone?

zilverenmist

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2007, 17:42:20 »

Thanks for the reply, I have only seen some movies on youtube concerning ss2008.
I doubt my system can handle that.
But I am at mission 11 and I realy take my time to finish missions, a lot of slow and deadslow sailing.
This attitude is very common if you have time, and no fuel bills, harbour money, ship clarifications, diploma's etc.

I hope there will be a shipsim 2008 demo to see if systems can handle that.

Rob

mporter

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2007, 21:00:20 »

Eh? Someone agreeing with me on something?

Right... Err... I change my mind. Whatever I said, I now think the opposite. ;)

Stu

OK, that would be more-or-less according to precedent.  ;)
But it is not very realistic to have to jump out to the "seagull" view to see the distance to the wharf.

Cheers,

Michael
www.mp-marine.com

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2007, 23:03:01 »

OK, that would be more-or-less according to precedent.  ;)
But it is not very realistic to have to jump out to the "seagull" view to see the distance to the wharf.

Alternative tack... When most people park their cars they get out to have a look how far to the end of a space etc (because they haven't been taught properly)... So maybe ship captains need to get out to look as well sometimes ;)

Stu

mporter

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2007, 00:48:52 »

Alternative tack... When most people park their cars they get out to have a look how far to the end of a space etc (because they haven't been taught properly)... So maybe ship captains need to get out to look as well sometimes ;)

Stu

In many situations, Stu, there is a mate or other senior person down on deck or out on the bow calling the distances to the skipper over a hand-held VHF.  But with big ships, the docking pilot often stands on the inshore bridge wing and cons the ship from there.  Cruise ships/ferries often have enclosed bridge wings with duplicate sets of controls.

Cheers,
Michael
www.mp-marine.com

andy_m

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2007, 01:14:30 »

Dont know how its done with civilian shipping but in the RN we have a Petty Officer for each part of ship who has comms with the bridge who supervises the rope work and reports distances as required plus theres the Chief Bosuns Mate or 'Buffer' (usually a petty officer or chief petty officer on the carriers/lpds) who roams the upperdeck supervising as a whole not withstanding of course the numerous officers on the bridge who have a degree of nav training.
Regards,
Andy
Why is the Rum ALWAYS gone?

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2007, 12:14:37 »

In many situations, Stu, there is a mate or other senior person down on deck or out on the bow calling the distances to the skipper over a hand-held VHF.  But with big ships, the docking pilot often stands on the inshore bridge wing and cons the ship from there.  Cruise ships/ferries often have enclosed bridge wings with duplicate sets of controls.

Yes, Michael. Thnks for that piece of enlightenment. There have been ferries that have been built with stern bridges for docking, although these seem to have been short lived experiments.

I've been on the brige of an old Sealink ferry at Dover during docking and it's quite an experience... With open platform bridge wings and a strong wind/rain!

Stu

Orinoco

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2007, 16:28:56 »

There is no way that will be implemented in SS2008.  Fully exploreable ships simply ask too much of our computers.

I don't accept that. My PC manages 'Titan mode' on BF2142 just fine - this involves, multi-decked flying 'titan' aircraft, which can move, fire weapons and have interactive bits throughout them. This is in addition to an open battlefield some distance below with more animated objects on the ground. All while supporting up to 64 players.

Captain Davies

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2007, 18:20:43 »

Still, there is something in the level of detail required for this simulator that would make such a thing too great a drain on CPU.  Maybe it has something to do with the engine being used, if so, then all i know is that the engine used for SS08 cannot cope.  Don't forget the BF2142 maps are much smaller than the Ship Sim harbours and there is probably less going on.  It needs some looking into methinks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines