Hello Guest April 27, 2024, 06:10:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A very old photo.  (Read 1377 times)

Traddles

• Global Moderator
A very old photo.
« on: October 17, 2009, 23:06:20 »

I was given a bundle of old photos which were taken by my late father many, many years ago. I found the attached one which I have fiddled with a bit to make it more presentable. It was originally very yellowed and only 7 X 12.75 cms. On the back it says:- "Historian" at Chalmette, New Orleans, La. Feb 15th 1920. :doh: That is a long time ago. :o
My father would have been just 19 years old and a very new third mate at the time. Whilst it is hard to see, the ship had no wheelhouse, just a chartroom with for'd facing windows which looked out over the back of the helmsman. I looked her up and find she was built in 1896 by Harland and Woolf Ltd. in Belfast. Believe it or not she is described as:- A Steel steamship rigged as a four masted schooner, with two decks and seven holds. The ship cost £70,538 to build and had Marconi's wireless apparatus installed on 18th February, 1913. I could hardly buy an expensive car for that price.  :P

I thought this to be an interesting find.

Angus.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 20:07:34 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

Minime

• Forum member
Re: A very old photo.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 23:14:01 »

very nice pics and what an lovely ship, I got some old pics from the 50's I think, which I got from my grand dad, but unfortunately I don't have them anymore on a computer since they went down with my old laptop.

thanks to Tore/TJK for this awesome sig
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines