Hello Guest September 20, 2024, 10:39:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: So what is your opinion on the new Voortvarend Besparen game?  (Read 4095 times)

Third Mate

• Forum member

Well i think the message looks pretty appealing, and play and win sounds pretty good as well, what do you think?

http://www.schiffsim.de/schuttevaer/index_en.php?PHPSESSID=a775a90efeef174c855c42e649269385

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
Re: So what is your opinion on the new Voortvarend Besparen game?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 10:21:28 »

Gotta love the chance to win! It also seems like a mix between 2008 and Pro2.0. I almost consider it a preview of how Extremes will run.

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 10:47:28 »

Gotta love the chance to win! It also seems like a mix between 2008 and Pro2.0. I almost consider it a preview of how Extremes will run.

hey man, if this is how extremes will run/look, im already jumping in my chair of joy, gotta admit pretty relaxing cruzing in a barge down the river, im still trying to figure out some of the controls still, and im still a bit confused about what to do bt hey im working on the perfect strategy at the momment, such good improvemts

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 16:51:47 »

I already came up with a strategy.

It stop/goes slightly when I am playing it (FRAPS says 16-17 fps), even though I have 1 GB RAM more than required.

steveboston

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 21:32:44 »

I am also having trouble running it. My rig handles SS08 well - with no crashes to desktop or anything bad, with good framerates despite every setting being at max.(Possibly because it is on WinXP/DX9c rather than Vista).

The VB game is almost unplayable (big jumps every 2-3 seconds with all the associated control and screen changing difficulties. I have tried most vid/sound/control settings (the best is still about what I run SS08 at) but not much joy.
However, I tried free sailing and the thing runs fine with Agile Solution and the Water Taxi. The minute I load Mare Australe instead it goes like a 286 trying to run Fs5 (don't tell me you are too young to know what that is) i.e about as much use as a rudder on a bicycle. No hope of winning for me then - ah well at least i got Marmite and Pasta for tea tonight so all is not lost I suppose. 
Somewhere over the rainbow,
weigh a pie.

bsm2003

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 22:34:11 »

I am also having trouble running it. My rig handles SS08 well - with no crashes to desktop or anything bad, with good framerates despite every setting being at max.(Possibly because it is on WinXP/DX9c rather than Vista).

The VB game is almost unplayable (big jumps every 2-3 seconds with all the associated control and screen changing difficulties. I have tried most vid/sound/control settings (the best is still about what I run SS08 at) but not much joy.
However, I tried free sailing and the thing runs fine with Agile Solution and the Water Taxi. The minute I load Mare Australe instead it goes like a 286 trying to run Fs5 (don't tell me you are too young to know what that is) i.e about as much use as a rudder on a bicycle. No hope of winning for me then - ah well at least i got Marmite and Pasta for tea tonight so all is not lost I suppose. 

Is it like in this thread?
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,15854.0.html
Never get caught with your head in the head.

Daniel Cho

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 06:13:49 »

how do you use frap ???

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 07:25:54 »

Buy it off FRAPS.com

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 07:42:47 »

is it just me or did anyone else notices that when you have a look on the website wheres the screenshot example it says Brandstof "in tank" and when you play the game it says "over" ???

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 07:49:12 »

That's strange, mine works fine of course not full screened but yeah just be careful because when i tried opening Firefox it crashed of course when i had the barge on the water. Haven't trialed out the other two boats yet, lots more stuff added it and that barge seems nicely detailed.   

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

Sarre

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 17:00:00 »

I like the idea and the challenge, but there are two things that annoys me:
- the ETA seems to play games with me: in the end the clock speed increases...
- the chart is very vague, not zoomable and hard to see.

Anyone with the same experience?

Regards,
Sarre
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 17:48:28 by Sarre »

mvsmith

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 18:40:01 »

Hi Sarre,

The inability to zoom the chart without making it full screen is a big pain.
Perhaps this game was built on an early beta of Pro, which had the same problem.
A later Pro beta had restored the function of the numeric + & - keys to zoom the chart, as I recall.

Regards,
Marty

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 19:17:04 »

Sarre,
To add to Martys' post. if you look at the 3 pictures I attach you will find how to zoom the chart. Click on no.1. in the first picture to make the chart full screen. Click on no.2. in the second picture and the details shown in the 3rd picture will come up, then use the slider at no.3. to zoom in and out. You can, if you care to play about, make the ship leave its track on the chart and also take ranges and bearings to (or from) another point.  I will not spoil your fun finding out how, but have a try. :-X   As Marty said, it is a bit awkward, but then nothing in life is that easy. Have fun with it. :thumbs:

Angus.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 19:22:24 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

mvsmith

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 19:58:15 »

Although the game starts out windowed, you might really get better performance if you run it non-windowed.

Sarre

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 11:47:31 »

Hi folks,

Many thanks to Angus and Marty for your answers - it helped me a lot.
But the task is hard...
:)

Regards,
Sarre

Evenaar-ships

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2009, 12:43:22 »

I also want to play te game, but my computer can not manage it. Grrrr
SS 2008 runs fine.

Daniel Cho

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2009, 01:20:07 »

mine has the worst graphic :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Kapn Jonah

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2009, 01:24:39 »

I would be so much better at this game if i could understand the Dutch language, and can i get some specs for this game? My PC that runs SS08, does not run this one very well, and my Laptop cannot run it period...

Regards,
Jonah
Regards,
Jonah

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2009, 01:58:10 »

well i wasnt to sure on the instrctions in the end, but i did my best to be fuel efficent and complete the course in time.If i wotn winn it, ill jst have to pay for it, heck worth every penny. And i think this is the first clue, run the game windowd so it will be less likely to crash unless ur computer is "the man"

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

Sarre

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2009, 21:11:25 »

Hi all you guys and dolls,

I'm beginning to wonder if the outcome is machine dependent or something.

On my Vista machine (AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+, 2 GB, NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS 256 MB) it seems impossible to fulfil the objectives (max 15 litres in max 30 minutes).

In the beginning the ETA figure gives me some hope, but the further the game proceeds, the faster the clock advances - when my 30 minutes have gone I seldom have got further than to the fifth waypoint (and my 15 litres are running out).

If someone could tell me I'm wrong and probably just a poor captain, I would be more than happy.  ;)

Regards,
Sarre

TerryRussell

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2009, 23:45:55 »

It is possible that an under-spec PC will have a slower clock and top speed. But as far as I know, it doesn't affect the outcome as I think they track together (so if you go 10% slower, so does the clock).

By the way, it is possible to achieve the time and fuel consumption. I did it during the testing phase quite a few times.

By the way, what radio sounds do you hear? I recorded a complete set of genuine Rotterdam sounds lasting around 120 minutes, which I supplied for the Voortvarend Besparen version, but I think that they may have got accidentally overwritten by those repetitive Solent ones when the game was released.  :doh:

mvsmith

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2009, 01:59:38 »

Hi Terry,
Remember that ship travel is not synced to the clock in SS2008. There can be a large discrepancy in the time by clock and the calculated distance/speed. (The Bernie Kantor phenomenon)
Hopefully, that has been corrected in Pro. However, it looks like this mission may be built on an early beta.
Regards,
Marty

steveboston

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2009, 11:32:44 »

Hi Terry - although I can't get the thing to run very well (see my post further up) I did try the mission. Despite (literally) blinking awful graphics I got to the final mooring just as time ran out. I probably would have completed it OK without the handicap graphics so despite biblically slow framerates the mission timer seems unaffected. The sounds were various Solent floating people/QHM by the way.
Pity there ain't some cure/ patch for this challenge as I would like to try it but it is terminally useless 'as is' 
Somewhere over the rainbow,
weigh a pie.

Ciroton

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2009, 15:53:50 »

Personally, I like some of the new camera options presented. =P I can only hope they get included in Extremes. However, even my computer, which can run Ship Sim amazingly well has difficulty with this. It's more stop and go then fluid motion and with the lag, every time I attempt the challenge I ALWAYS hit SOMETHING because of the lagging frame rates. =/

Ah well, I guess I'll just have to buy Extremes like everyone else. x3

Wave Music

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2009, 15:56:03 »

I think you'll have to upgrade your pc to prepare it for running the Extremes.  ;D
keep it gnarly
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines