Hello Guest September 20, 2024, 08:39:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jumbo Javlin controls  (Read 4380 times)

BurtonD

• Forum member
Jumbo Javlin controls
« on: September 15, 2009, 00:53:07 »

I dont know what are all the jumbo javlin control...I get the main engines controls and the bow thruster and the stering wheel...but what is the little control the throttle to the right that is the throttle and stering wheel all in one... i don't know

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
Re: Jumbo Javlin controls
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 01:49:56 »

That is an retractable azipod, like the oceanstar. That can be used for low speed maneuvering, I have never found a good time to use it though.

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 11:05:32 »

Hi BurtonD,
If you look at the attached picture you will see that the bow thruster control is part way over to port and you can see the wake effect from the bow. You will also see that the right hand control for the after (retractable in reality) azipod is angled at 900 and on full speed,  this is pushing the ship towards the quay. You can see the wake effect coming from beneath the after crane mounting. With these two controls the ship can be moved physically sideways with great accuracy to position her exactly at the correct place to load her heavy lift cargoes. The thrust from the aft azipod is only effective at very low speeds or if the vessel is stopped. I should point out that when JJ is loading or discharging it is usual for her to go alongside starboard side to the quay. This is because the cranes then have a smaller distance to reach the quay thus enabling the maximum lift to be made. The further out from the base of the crane the hook is, the more the heeling moment on the ship is and the less weight she is able to handle. My picture therefore shows her moving alongside with the wrong side to the quay. Oops :doh:  
I hope this clears up the matter for you.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 11:14:53 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 12:05:43 »

Excellent explanation, Traddles..I've added some arrows to your picture to make it more clear..
It is confusing that in the info panel, Engine 3 has no RPM or angle.. :)

ARTSHIP († 2010)

• IN MEMORIAM
  • Forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 13:20:14 »

Dear Traddles
Are you sure, that the correct loading position is starbord side at the quay, to load heavy lifts ?
I have sailed as 2nd mate on a containership with all 4 cranes at portside. We always moored with starbordside (opposite side of the cranes), because in this position the cargo could be loaded easier with cranes over the whole ship's beam:
1st No or only small swinging of cranes neccessary
2nd The whole hull of the ship acting as counter weight/gravity against the movement of the cranes.
The cranes had sufficient outreach (30m over the quay) under full weight (32 tonnes each, Gemini 60mt x 2 cranes). Attached you see a picture of the ship.

On oldfashioned heavy lift freighters with their heavy lift derricks in midship's line there was always the problem with the list, as soon as picking up the heavy lift fm the quay.

Now, if the JJ is loading the heavy lift on here starbordside, it seems to be impossible to ballast sufficient at portside to avoid listing to the quay, she will just fall on the quay. I think it is the other way arround to load fm the portside, having the whole ship's body as counter weight/gravity, when picking up the heavy lift fm the quay and if necessary ballasting on the starbord side is more effective to avoid too much list to portside. The derricks are sufficient long to load the heavy lift safely, even with further outreach.

Bgds
ARTSHIP/Horst

Hi BurtonD,
If you look at the attached picture you will see that the bow thruster control is part way over to port and you can see the wake effect from the bow. You will also see that the right hand control for the after (retractable in reality) azipod is angled at 900 and on full speed,  this is pushing the ship towards the quay. You can see the wake effect coming from beneath the after crane mounting. With these two controls the ship can be moved physically sideways with great accuracy to position her exactly at the correct place to load her heavy lift cargoes. The thrust from the aft azipod is only effective at very low speeds or if the vessel is stopped. I should point out that when JJ is loading or discharging it is usual for her to go alongside starboard side to the quay. This is because the cranes then have a smaller distance to reach the quay thus enabling the maximum lift to be made. The further out from the base of the crane the hook is, the more the heeling moment on the ship is and the less weight she is able to handle. My picture therefore shows her moving alongside with the wrong side to the quay. Oops :doh:  
I hope this clears up the matter for you.

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 14:31:12 »

That is an retractable azipod, like the oceanstar. That can be used for low speed maneuvering, I have never found a good time to use it though.
This one is retractable, not those at "OS". The GA plan of the "JJ" has another two retractable azimuth thrusters at the stern, but not realized here...
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Look at www.elbdampfer-hamburg.de

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 17:14:22 »

Hi Horst,
To load the maximum lift of 800tonnes per crane, a total of 1600tonnes, the cranes on JJ would, a) not be able to lift at that low jib angle and, b) the lift such as the one in the game would not be able to be lifted high enough to clear the ships side. I suspect, though I do not know this for sure, that the ballast system on JJ is such that she can be ballasted quickly enough to counterbalance the lift. The lift would be swung forward or aft to clear the crane mountings then one end brought through between the posts in the same way as the old fashioned radial davits for lifeboats were operated. Of couse for a smaller, lighter lift going alongside port side to would be perfectly OK. See the attachment for weight lifts at various angles of the jibs. The diagram shows a stabiliser attached to the side of the ship as counter weight. The photo shows a similar ship loading as I describe.

Angus.

http://www.ship-technology.com/projects/jumbo/jumbo5.html
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 17:27:57 by Traddles »

sadsid († 2016)

• IN MEMORIAM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 17:28:52 »

Hi Angus
Thanks for posting info for JJ interesting to read all my time at sea was
spent in trawlers & standby ships so I never really had anything heavy
to move around.
Had some interesting arguments with 3 ton otter boards in bad weather  ;D
when needed to be changed
                                                                                         Eric

ARTSHIP († 2010)

• IN MEMORIAM
  • Forum member
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 17:44:31 »

Thks Angus, this explains all. So it is quite a difference between usual freighter with heavy lift derrick and such special heavy lift freighter.
Bgds
ARTSHIP/Horst

Hi Horst,
To load the maximum lift of 800tonnes per crane, a total of 1600tonnes, the cranes on JJ would, a) not be able to lift at that low jib angle and, b) the lift such as the one in the game would not be able to be lifted high enough to clear the ships side. I suspect, though I do not know this for sure, that the ballast system on JJ is such that she can be ballasted quickly enough to counterbalance the lift. The lift would be swung forward or aft to clear the crane mountings then one end brought through between the posts in the same way as the old fashioned radial davits for lifeboats were operated. Of couse for a smaller, lighter lift going alongside port side to would be perfectly OK. See the attachment for weight lifts at various angles of the jibs. The diagram shows a stabiliser attached to the side of the ship as counter weight. The photo shows a similar ship loading as I describe.

Angus.

http://www.ship-technology.com/projects/jumbo/jumbo5.html

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 18:28:41 »

With some gentle reminders from my very good friend Marty, I should point out that the heeling moment due to the lift is the product of the weight of the lift and the distance from the CENTRELINE of the ship. Such that a lift of 1600 tonnes at a distance of, say 40 metres, from the centreline of the ship would produce the same moment of 64000 metre tonnes whichever side the ship was to the quay. You will notice too,  in the cross section diagram of the ship that the blue coloured areas are ballast tanks. To counteract the weight of the 1600 tonne lift on the starboard side the side tanks on the port side could be filled with 6400 tonnes of ballast at roughly 10 metres from the centre line of the ship. i.e. a compensating moment of 64000 metre tonnes.  I am happy to stand corrected if anyone from Jumbo Shipping reads this, after all, I qualified for Master in 1961 when I worked in tons and feet, so I am slightly rusty like an old ship. :doh: The actual weight of the cranes on JJ is compensated during the construction of the ship such that she does not heel over when in lightship condition. The nearest I ever got to such a ship was M.V."Craftsman" of the Harrison line of Liverpool. She was equipped with two 250 ton Stulken derricks giving a combined lift of 500 tons. She had high speed ballast pumps such as I describe, so that, as the lift was taken up, ballast was pumped into the opposite side of the ship to compensate.

Angus.

N.B. I have been checking the dimensions of JJ and it would appear that her side tanks could not hold the amount of ballast I used as an example. :doh: Possibly that is why the diagram of the cranes shows a stabiliser on the opposite side to the lift to be undertaken. So it proves that I am rather rusty. :-[
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 12:29:23 by Traddles »

BurtonD

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 00:55:51 »

Thanks buy now i get it

Capt. Matt

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 01:08:56 »

Hi Traddles I apologize that this is off topic, but It seems that the problems have been solved, so May I ask what the average Framerate per second is? I see yours is 40 in that picture of the Jumbo, I get 58 FPS Is that good?

Thanks TJK!
Intel Core i7 930@ 2.8GHz, 12GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz, Asus P6X58D-E, EVGA GeForce GTX 650 2 Win

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 10:35:26 »

Hi Capt. Matt,
If you look closer you will see the frame rate is actually 20fps not 40! I have no idea what the average is I'm afraid. However I would hazard a guess that 58fps is not only good but, superb. :o

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 15:08:37 »

I also get about 20 fps..But then, I have settings on "quality" rather than "speed".. ;)

Scanman

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 09:54:04 »

What keys on a keybord do you use to use the azipod thing

Captain Darling

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2009, 10:41:12 »

The azimuth on the JJ, can only be controlled using the mouse. And it's fiddly at the best of times.

If azimuth is the main propulsion like on the Bugsier 2 or Ocean Star, it's the normal forward, back, left and right controls. Of which if you have a gamepad with two joysticks (like on a PlayStation2 controller), you can assign those two joysticks to control the azimuths individually - and that's what I've done. Makes it much easier to use the azimuth ships.

It also makes the red eagle easier too.
Regards,
James

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2009, 12:32:02 »

You can do the settings yourself, if you want to use the keyboard. I have made the decision to use three neighbour keys for the turning of each thruster (German keyboard for example: [A] turns PS thruster left - back to amidship - [D] turns PS thruster right and the same with [J][L][K] for the SB thruster. Rpm's further with numpad...
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Look at www.elbdampfer-hamburg.de
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines