Hello Guest September 20, 2024, 14:31:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: VSTEP twitter  (Read 4863 times)

TNeves

• Forum member
VSTEP twitter
« on: September 09, 2009, 21:36:22 »

What about a twitter for VSTEP? It would be great to follow the latest news, add-ons, development processes etc.

What do you think about this?

Or just a twitter for the Ship Simulator brand name?

Captain Darling

• Forum member
Re: VSTEP twitter
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 22:56:10 »

What about a twitter for VSTEP? It would be great to follow the latest news, add-ons, development processes etc.

Really.. Hardly any new announcements come out that quick to make a twitter all that useful... Afterall isn't that why we have a forum? ???
Regards,
James

TJK

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 22:57:45 »

we have all that here i think and on www.shipsim.com, so i don't think that are necessary, bdw twitter are not a safe place to be, but that are my meaning.
Tore

TNeves

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 23:05:54 »

Sorry, not safe? Why?

About the need, its a different way of send notices to the costumers, used by very companies. Unfortunately VSTEP team doesn't "talk" too much about what they are doing, if you know what I mean. I follow the announcements using the RSS feeds, but for those that use twitter as a form of being updated it could be a good thing, in my opinion off course.

TJK

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 23:17:33 »

Sorry, not safe? Why?

Unfortunately VSTEP team doesn't "talk" too much about what they are doing, if you know what I mean.

why shod V-Step tell us watt they doing, they tell us the stuff they are realizing and videos, info about the things so i don't understand watt more they shod tell us costumers, i don't miss any info from them, and i can read in the forum on the ss website or even on www.vstep.nl

twitter not safe? well it's alot of crimes going on, hacking accounts and more so i thing we have all we can get here of info

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 23:18:33 »

A nice thought, TNeves

Only downside with Twitter is that users are limited to sending 140-characters text messages, which might not be much use for big VSTEP announcements or if someone wants to say a lot of things (especially with pictures). So we'll need the forum for that kind of thing  :)

However Twitter might be useful if someone has set up their own multiplayer server and want fellow Ship Sim tweeters to know about it, and inviting them to join.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 10:57:59 by Kevinmcg_ships »
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit  |  CPU: Intel i7-4770k @ 3.5 GHz  |  RAM: 16Gb DDR3  |  Graphic Card: Asus GTX 660 DirectCU II OC

TJK

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 23:20:30 »

However Twitter might be useful if someone has set up their own multiplayer server and want fellow Ship Sim tweeters to know about it, and inviting them to join.

that we also can do right here on the forum

Captain Darling

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 23:23:13 »

that we also can do right here on the forum
Exactly, just click on the Notify link at the bottom of each topic to be notified of any new posts in a topic.. Have a topic purely for meeting's which people can use the notify link for.
Regards,
James

TNeves

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 23:32:34 »

why shod V-Step tell us watt they doing, they tell us the stuff they are realizing and videos, info about the things so i don't understand watt more they shod tell us costumers, i don't miss any info from them, and i can read in the forum on the ss website or even on www.vstep.nl

twitter not safe? well it's alot of crimes going on, hacking accounts and more so i thing we have all we can get here of info

About twitter being safe or not, well if it wasn't big companies wouldn't use it. ;)

I respect your opinion, but I don't agree with it, you have different ways of getting the info. With twitter is a question of minutes to know what you need, in the forum just people with time can read all the posts.
Twitter is a way of, lets say, join the most important info in just one place.

TJK

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 23:39:35 »

Not exactly right do, but we will not be agree ;) you can pres the notify button on the topic and you got a mail every time new topics are posted or a post, i think it's easy and quick to get info here

TNeves

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 23:43:04 »

Not exactly right do, but we will not be agree ;) you can pres the notify button on the topic and you got a mail every time new topics are posted or a post, i think it's easy and quick to get info here

That is what I do with some of the forums that I visit, but if a new thread is posted you won't get the notification, only if you subscribe that board, and boy, if its a very popular one, you will receive a lot of e-mails.

TJK

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 23:47:06 »

That is what I do with some of the forums that I visit, but if a new thread is posted you won't get the notification, only if you subscribe that board, and boy, if its a very popular one, you will receive a lot of e-mails.

if you only notefy on the forum you only get mail for new thread be posted, esy like this, try to notefy only on shipsim 2008, then you only get new threads

TNeves

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 23:48:45 »

if you only notefy on the forum you only get mail for new thread be posted, esy like this, try to notefy only on shipsim 2008, then you only get new threads

That was what I said, but if people post (create a new thread) a lot you will receive a lot of e-mails too.

TJK

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 23:53:04 »

That was what I said, but if people post (create a new thread) a lot you will receive a lot of e-mails too.

yes thats troo, but i can delete that i not interested in and i don't got more mail from that
but if you do that i say, you will only get a mail for a new topics
say you notify the hole mission forum, then you only get male of new topics their or on the media forum and so on...

but i give me now, other can tell watt they think of this :thumbs:
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 23:55:20 by TJK »

TNeves

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 23:56:33 »

yes thats troo, but i can delete that i not interested in and i don't got more mail from that
but if you do that i say, you will only get a mail for a new topics
say you notify the hole mission forum, then you only get male of new topics their

Yes, I know that, and that is why I said in the last post "create a new thread" or topic, I have the Support forum subscribed like that, and the rest is just the topics that I posted.

This is a way, but only if people like forums and I know a lot that doesn't.

Wave Music

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2009, 00:47:44 »

I'll go alongside with James & Tore on that point.  This forum is enough convenient from tech side if one knows how to use it right.   Besides having everything in one official place is more likely when it comes to quick & easy search for needed info.
keep it gnarly

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2009, 01:55:21 »

Hi everyone..

Certain similar ideas for something external have come along over time.

And I am afraid there won't be something like it, that easily... There is a website and a forum that hosts all the news. And perhaps when he development of SSE reaches a point where more can be said without jeopardizing dissapointment afterwards, there will be some more news for us all to get excited about things to come.

And these things are not hidden amongst posts you have to go through.. announcements are made in the specific announcements board, and if it is important, it is a sticky, and as such always easy to find.

As it stands, just don't really see something like this happening. The main website page and the announcements board are easy enough to spot.   :-\

Regards,
Fred
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 01:57:28 by Mad_Fred »

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2009, 03:50:59 »

I personally think that would be great. All other "good" "big" companies have micro-blogging accounts, even facebook fan pages. (That are official)

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2009, 04:43:53 »

Well if it means less time for development cause they're writing some blog, even though the news and announcements that matter are allready on the main website, wouldn't that be a bad thing?

And yet another thing to moderate too.. I understand you can give feedback (haven't got an account myelf)  ..so that must be monitored aswell.. more work on something that serves no extra purpose....

I dunno.. it's just not very feasible to put the time and effort it. Even specific details posted on the official website are completely ignored anyway in favor of coming straight here and making yet another topic with the same basic questions.... Posting it in some blog won't help much I reckon.. that's even further removed from the 'new topic' button.  :P

Fred.

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2009, 06:03:55 »

Twitter is more like IM Fred, but not everyone can see what the comments are unless they go look.

It is more like this.

Vstep: SS10 coming next week

Agenthog: @VSTEP Can't wait, where can I find blah blah

Vstep: @AgentHog blah blah

TJK

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2009, 08:56:45 »

And all that news we get here on SS forum and the web page so i can't see the point in this
and if you are getting the news letter from v-step in you mail box then you will get all the info you need

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2009, 08:59:52 »

Better developer > user contact.

TJK

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2009, 09:03:52 »

I don't think the developer has so mutts time to chat with us do, but we get all the info we need here and if it's like this AA show us, well then i cant understand it can be beater with twitter
no i still mean the forum and web page are the best :thumbs:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 11:05:08 by TJK »

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2009, 10:43:35 »

I'll go alongside with James & Tore on that point.  This forum is enough convenient from tech side if one knows how to use it right.   Besides having everything in one official place is more likely when it comes to quick & easy search for needed info.

:o WM- We agree on something  :o ;D (I must carefully check if I'm actually right then ;) (this is a joke, btw)) You are right on this- fragmenting users into forum, twitter, rss, web posts, etc will not be a good thing and will need info being duplicated so many times (I know, we tried it on our website and it was a disaster).

With the level of information coming from Vstep at the moment, people would log on en-mass if a Twit site was announced... and would soon be bored, never to return.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

TNeves

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2009, 12:58:57 »

Well if it means less time for development cause they're writing some blog, even though the news and announcements that matter are allready on the main website, wouldn't that be a bad thing?

And yet another thing to moderate too.. I understand you can give feedback (haven't got an account myelf)  ..so that must be monitored aswell.. more work on something that serves no extra purpose....

I dunno.. it's just not very feasible to put the time and effort it. Even specific details posted on the official website are completely ignored anyway in favor of coming straight here and making yet another topic with the same basic questions.... Posting it in some blog won't help much I reckon.. that's even further removed from the 'new topic' button.  :P

Fred.

Twitter is not something that you spend a lot of time writing, it is something like sending a text sms to a on-line server and then it will appear on the internet, or added manually using the site/widgets. Besides, you don't need to moderate it. In the VSTEP page you can only see new posts(from VSTEP) and replies of VSTEP to other twitters, nothing more.

But I don't want to create a big discussion, my first though was just to hear different opinions about this subject.

And you maybe right in some points, VSTEP doesn't communicate a lot to use twitter, RSS feeds and the forum is enough, maybe one day :thumbs:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines