Hello Guest April 28, 2024, 16:17:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions about making 3d content  (Read 1686 times)

moo10032

• Forum member
Questions about making 3d content
« on: August 31, 2009, 03:01:37 »

I have a lot of experience working with 3d models and I'd like to make a few ships I can drive around in this wonderful game. I have a few questions I was unable to find answers to searching the forum.

1. Will the 2010 ships simulator game include a development kit to add your own ships? If so will it also include things like adding the controls, sounds, and animations of rudder movements etc.?

2. I located the guide to submitting a ship for the 2008 game but is there a new guide for submitting a ship to the 2010 game if there is not a development kit?

3. Do they have to be existing ships, or can you make your own? (within reason ex. small fishing boat etc.)

4. Will people be able to use custom ships online either by downloading as they join a game or downloading on your website or 3rd party websites?

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
Re: Questions about making 3d content
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 03:27:16 »

Hi moo10032, welcome to the forum!!

I have a lot of experience working with 3d models and I'd like to make a few ships I can drive around in this wonderful game. I have a few questions I was unable to find answers to searching the forum.

1. Will the 2010 ships simulator game include a development kit to add your own ships? If so will it also include things like adding the controls, sounds, and animations of rudder movements etc.?

- At present, I believe there will not be any major chances as to how a 3rd party modeler can get his models into the game. This will most likely remain a cooperative business, between 3rd part 3d artists and Vstep.

2. I located the guide to submitting a ship for the 2008 game but is there a new guide for submitting a ship to the 2010 game if there is not a development kit?

- There should be an updated version of the guidelines coming out, as logic dictates.

3. Do they have to be existing ships, or can you make your own? (within reason ex. small fishing boat etc.)

- Since there are allready some fictional ships in the series, it makes sense that they do not have to be real life ships. Indeed withint reason, since it does have to be realistic and a true depiction of what one might find in real life.

4. Will people be able to use custom ships online either by downloading as they join a game or downloading on your website or 3rd party websites?

- Probably not in such a way, no. Maybe further in the future, this side of things will grow. But I expect addon ships to be controlled by vstep and sold on the official website.

I hope this helps a bit, though I realise it's all a bit vague. That's because there's nothing else we can definatively say about it.

But, if you have anything to show off to vstep, you can always contact them and offer your services, or ideas, or portfolio. They are keen to attract talent to contribute to the sim!  You can drop them a line via info@shipsim.com. Alternatively, you can drop me a line too and I'll be happy to play the medium, if you so desire.

Just out of sheer curiosity, is there anything you could show us of your work? Renders?  ;D

Regards,
Fred

* edit - typos
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 03:32:42 by Mad_Fred »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines