Hello Guest September 01, 2024, 02:35:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: On the subject of Dover to Calais.  (Read 10688 times)

Traddles

• Global Moderator
On the subject of Dover to Calais.
« on: August 17, 2009, 16:16:03 »

I thought that the general idea of a ship simulator was to endeavour to simulate real situations. With a good mission builder and this (hoped for) environment it would be a great exercise in collision avoidance, casting off moorings, leaving port, arriving in another port without having to "Jump", and then working your ship into her allotted berth and mooring. Of course, for those who suggest this might be boring to play in real time, I would hate to have to sail on a real ship with them. Surprisingly enough a trip across the Atlantic never was boring for me, there was far too much to see and to do. Whales, dolphins, Portugese men o' war, plastic footballs by the hundreds, (true), ::) flying fish, other ships with no one keeping a watch :doh: (quite common) Clouds, lightning flashes at night and the most fantastic display of stars which you will never be able to see in any city because of the light pollution.  22 miles across the English Channel in real time would be really good. For those who would find it boring, they could always look at the rivets on the hull of "Titanic". :evil: With a 20 knot ferry it would only take just over an hour. :o
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 16:23:35 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

Captain Darling

• Forum member
Re: On the subject of Dover to Calais.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 16:22:10 »

Completely agree with you there.

I was on the bridge of the Ben My Chree from heysham to Douglas. I was up there for nearly 2 hours and went back up to see the Captain docking.
It's amazing how much they have to do. They have to keep watch, they have to operate radars e.t.c

What will help will be interactivity for the player. Like buttons to press, ballast, switching service from the bridge to bridge wings to be able to use the bridge wing to dock. e.t.c
Regards,
James

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 16:23:17 »

Totally agree!!!
And it would be great, sometimes, to play the multiplayer together with others on just one ship to have several positions manned with several players.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 16:25:18 by Bottman »
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Look at www.elbdampfer-hamburg.de

Wave Music

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 16:42:09 »

Of course, for those who suggest this might be boring to play in real time, I would hate to have to sail on a real ship with them.

Of course, standing 4 hours in fresh air on the bridge can't be compared to sitting 4 hours at the computer & harming eyes by looking in to monitor. ::)
keep it gnarly

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 16:54:39 »

My eyes are still operating fine thanks, watching my computer appears to agree with them. :angel: From what I see of modern ships the bridges seem to be totally enclosed on most of them, Ugh, not much fresh air, only air conditioning. :thumbdown: That is certainly not good for anyone.
Mind you though WM, you seem to spend a huge amount of time in front of your computer screen from what I observe. Far more than 4 hours I would guess. ;) ;)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 17:05:42 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

Capetan Thanasis

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 16:59:19 »

I also agree completely.
Think, the ship leaves the port, accelerate and as it reaches in full speed and you enjoy by all cameras the ship, the wakes, other ships passing.. “end of environment, you must choose another one to jump”. Again speed… zero, magic… zero  :( :( :( :( :(
The magic is to start from a port, to enjoy the sailing and to arrive to another port without any interruption.
Best Regards

Thanasis

sadsid († 2016)

• IN MEMORIAM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 17:10:32 »

Hi All
So standing on the bridge at night watching 2 radars listening to 4 vhf radio's
and watching a rig for 4 hours (I miss it a lot  ;D).
So looking at a comp all day is easy on the eyes
                                                                        Eric

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 19:00:45 »

Is this to do with comments made in the campaign thread  ::)

I agree here, I mean, leaving Dover, then jumping to a random sea, then jumping to Calais (assuming it is in game)

Isn't the same as plotting the course to take, you can't do the things properly.

Captain Darling

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 23:03:53 »

Of course, standing 4 hours in fresh air on the bridge can't be compared to sitting 4 hours at the computer & harming eyes by looking in to monitor. ::)
Officers have to gaze into the monitors of the electronic charts and radars.. :-\
Regards,
James

eviss

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 23:57:07 »

Hello All,

I thought that the general idea of a ship simulator was to endeavour to simulate real situations with ships.

I'll support all initiatives to achieve that goal, without losing sight of the practical possibilities in virtual reality.

A shame that Stu locked the previous thread about this. It seems, we are more involved, then we would admit.

By sailing the "long" missions ( 4 until more then 6 hours ), I have accepted the minor moments. (nothing is compaired to the real thing)  ;)

As Marty stated before "more straight course sailing hours, without any meaningfull action is/would be pointless".

Therefore, when a well known crossing like this is added to the environments in the new version, it would be very welcome.

The grade of difficulty bringing the task to a succesfull end, would make the journey even more interesting.

vr. gr. / kind regards, Erik
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 00:09:34 by eviss »
THX SF!
Redfox
"Dover-Calais in the same environement !"

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 00:01:49 »

This another thing, with a good mission, it isn't 1 hour sailing in a straight line. The Dover Straights is the busiest Shiping Lane in the world, and trying to get across is no mean feat, it would be a good challenge.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 22:36:24 »

I still maintain that the Southampton-Cowes is one of the best options on SS08 as you have the satisfaction of completing a whole crossing.

Naturally, I am biased in favour of Dover-Calais in the same environment but the same thing could apply to 100s of other routes in the world.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009, 22:38:28 »

I still maintain that the Southampton-Cowes is one of the best options on SS08 as you have the satisfaction of completing a whole crossing.

Naturally, I am biased in favour of Dover-Calais in the same environment but the same thing could apply to 100s of other routes in the world.

I agree with you.

The ability to make a complete crossing in one environment is great, as said Southampton-Cowes is really good to do.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2009, 22:45:13 »

I honestly do think it's one of the weak points of the sim. But, had people not been prattling on about seeing ships sink (limited novelty value) then perhaps vstep would have done this instead. Or perhaps not.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

--tractorman--

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2009, 22:46:34 »

I'd like to have Dover and Calais in the same scenery because then you can

1. be docked
2. plot your route
3. leave port
4. slip it on autopilot (need it first..)
5. get a coffee and have a slash
6. come back, dock

awesome  ;D although i would like to spend the whole journey at the bridge... only in an incat..

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 22:49:06 »

1. be docked
2. plot your route
3. leave port
6. come back, dock

awesome  ;D although i would like to spend the whole journey at the bridge... only in an incat..

The speed an Incat goes, would you have time  ;D

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2009, 22:50:41 »

1. be docked
2. plot your route
3. leave port
6. come back, dock

Exactly  :thumbs:

It takes it away slightly when you have to leave into a map, and your wake disappears and you go back to 0 knots. You lose track of a course. I mean you can't really do course Corrections, watch for the shipping lanes, etc...

Then you get to Dover/Calais, and you are plonked anywhere more or less...

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2009, 22:54:27 »

The solution is therefore quite simple:

Dover-Calais in the same environment

'nuff said.

wellemberg

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2009, 22:55:44 »

perhaps the ss developers should try thinking more like the developers from Microsoft flight sim, in flight sim there is only one enviroment, which means that you can fly from any airport in the world to any other airport in the world no matter where it is. I must say, i was a bit dissapointed when i bought the ss08 to find out that there was so limmited possibillities! An open world shipsim, then this "game" would be perfect, kinda....!?

--tractorman--

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2009, 22:59:25 »

Also I have been thinking about this, maybe there is too much in one environment causing a lag or a long time to load, could this be solved by reducing how much you can see?

Exactly  :thumbs:

It takes it away slightly when you have to leave into a map, and your wake disappears and you go back to 0 knots. You lose track of a course. I mean you can't really do course Corrections, watch for the shipping lanes, etc...

Then you get to Dover/Calais, and you are plonked anywhere more or less...

Yep, I'd hate to have to start from 0 and maybe even coming up from the north east of calais, just not right..
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 23:01:02 by --tractorman-- »

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2009, 23:04:02 »

Also I have been thinking about this, maybe there is too much in one environment causing a lag or a long time to load, could this be solved by reducing how much you can see?

Yep, I'd hate to have to start from 0 and maybe even coming up from the north east of calais, just not right..

But Dover would be mostly empty sea, not even like The Solent/Rotterdam

Also, sacriliage I know, what if they chopped a few miles off...

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2009, 23:04:52 »

Also, sacriliage I know, what if they chopped a few miles off...

Wash your mouth out with soapy water  >:(

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2009, 23:06:57 »

Wash your mouth out with soapy water  >:(

Sorry

wellemberg

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2009, 23:08:10 »

if they were to chop of some of the miles, then it wouldn´t be a realtime sim, and that would be a shame i think!?

Captain Darling

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2009, 23:10:52 »

awesome  ;D although i would like to spend the whole journey at the bridge... only in an incat..
Something I was able to do with the IOMSPC. ;D
Regards,
James
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines