Hello Guest September 29, 2024, 09:27:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Are you pleased to see Dover-Calais in the same environment

Absolutely
Very
Completely
Totally

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Dover - Calais WILL be in the same environment. (was The HQ of the "Dover-Calais  (Read 186547 times)

Bottman

• Global Moderator

And now it makes possibly even more sense:
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=499094&in_page_id=2&position=moretopstories
 :doh:
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Look at www.elbdampfer-hamburg.de

Traddles

• Global Moderator

Now it becomes apparent why so many of us actively dislike our government. They put us into serious debt, and then try to sell off the Country bit by bit to get themselves out of trouble. Politicians, UGH. >:( :doh:
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

Ralphy

• Forum member

:o i think that i should be worried. they might try and sell of the isle of wight off. does that mean i will become french? and to cross the solent in our rib we need our passport? lol

Matthew Brown

• Forum member

Wow now thats strange, walking to France for the first time ever  :doh:
But this is definately an outrage, maybe its time for a new campaign? I cant help but think that Gordon Brown and his bananas were backing the dover to calais in the same environment campaign! To please us English and French so we could unite in real life  :lol:

But  very sad  :'(  Im off to Facebook to see if theres a group called "Hands off our Dover Gordon"  :2thumbs:

Kind Regards

Matthew.

Yes there is a petition! http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=319735745038&ref=search&sid=1039196530.2940155770..1&v=info
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 16:57:14 by Matthew Brown »
(http://www.shipsimradio.net/mb)

Stuart2007

• Forum member

I would be inclined to say (and I better be careful, since I'm in France at the moment and they have no sense of humour)

"Join the G. Brown and G.Browns head (NOT) in the same environment... But under the ridiculous laws set down by comrade brown-stalin, I could be locked up in a ghullag for even thinking anything other than good thoughts about him.

Anyway, WHY shouldn't the French get a bit (more) of Britain? We British have been told by our own government for years that we must be slaves to the world...

Role on 6th June...

And at £££££££ per MB roaming BT wireless flaming  broadband (that works better here than at home) I am going offline now before I get myself arrested (and without trial) for inciting revolution, comrades.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Bottman

• Global Moderator

Amazingly the principal and some citizens of Calais are going the other way round, proclaiming Calais as a part of England/London, looking forward to the Olympic Games in 2012.. :thumbs:
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!

Bottman

• Global Moderator

Now another ex "Superfast" ferry is heading for the English Channel. The "Superfast V" will slip into the Brittany Ferries livery to take over the Cherbourg-Portsmouth run from May this year. :thumbs:
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!

The Ferry Man

• Forum member

She is also serving on the Portsmouth-Santander route as well...  :thumbs:

TFMs Guide to Crossing the Dover Channel (http://forum.shipsim.com/index.php/topic,21107.0.html)

Stuart2007

• Forum member

She is also serving on the Portsmouth-Santander route as well...  :thumbs:
Great.....  ::)
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

The Ferry Man

• Forum member

I am glad you approve Stu...

She is to be named the Cap Finistere

TFMs Guide to Crossing the Dover Channel (http://forum.shipsim.com/index.php/topic,21107.0.html)

Bottman

• Global Moderator

It will be the "Cap Finisterre" then - a nice ship in Brittany colours! :2thumbs:

Beats me, The Ferry Man...
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!

Stuart2007

• Forum member

That was sarcasm, TFM... I personally think that they must have worked hard to find a ship so unsuitable.

BTW... Interesting point. PandO or Pretty Orrible as I prefer to name them say that they were searching for years for a ship to replace the POBI... Well, one wonders if they even bothered to look at the superfast v?

No, I suspect...

The Ferry Man

• Forum member

As you said, the Superfast V isn't the best ship for the route, neither is it a replacement for the Bilbao - there are no where near as many cabins on the Finistere as either the Biklbao or Pont-Aven; It looks doubtful wether she will even make any Mini-Cruises...

Bottman

• Global Moderator

Seems to be always hard for second hand tonnage to meet everyones expectations, eh?
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!

The Ferry Man

• Forum member

Depends on how high the expectations are - some companies seem to do well with second-hand tonnage (LD, TEF, Fastnet (at least theortically, seeing as they haven't started yet)), others don't, and it depends on the route as well I suppose, the Biscay needs a tough ship, with cabins for all passengers, good freight carrying...

Stuart2007

• Forum member

Well DFDS have always had a good eye for spotting used ships- even buying way in advance knowing that they would need it in X years time...

In days gone by, shipping companies would cascade stuff down to the lesser routes, with the important routes getting new builds... but now most companies are so short-sighted; I suspect there are few companies in Europe and none in Britain that can boast that... The best example that I can think of is Stena... A company like that with their dynamic approach...  :(

Yes, we need to get Stena back to Britain.

The Ferry Man

• Forum member

Another problem is the timing - there are probably plenty of ships that could be used, but they have to be available at the right time...

Stuart2007

• Forum member

I hate to go back to the same old topic, but when does a ship get called too old for XYZ? Is a mid life refurbishment a better bet than a new build?

Instead of PO policy of 1-3 million per year (average last 4 years) a PROPER mid life rebuild, like the chunnel beaters had at Dover (look at their service record compared to design life).

Sorry, but I think with a new ship costing 100s millions it NEEDS a lifespan of at LEAST 30 years, with a major rebuild at 15 to keep up with new legislation...

I realise I don't operate marine equipment, so I can't apply my own industry model too far onto it

EDIT: TFM, see my comment about DFDS..

Bottman

• Global Moderator

Well, Stena often has luck to order ships from scruffy yards - so they get them quite cheaper than estimated. Okay, and later.. ;)
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!

Stuart2007

• Forum member

Stena are a smart bunch... Look how quickly they progressed.

Ballast

• Global Moderator

Dover and Calais in the same environment would look something like this!!

"target 29" is the Maersk Dunkerque!  :doh:
It's the crew that makes the difference

The Ferry Man

• Forum member

See Dover-Calais in the Same Environment looks great...  :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

We just need to convince VSTEP and Maersk DFDS to get Target 29 into SSE...

Stuart2007

• Forum member

Do you get irritated by that irritating advert on TV

"Join the DFDS sale cos DFDS has the perfect sofa ferry for you.... That's just what we've always wannn-ted."

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator

Scary ghosts in the environment...
Luc

Ballast

• Global Moderator

That looks scary  :o
It's the crew that makes the difference
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 22   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines