Hello Guest September 28, 2024, 18:26:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Game looks bad, despite good spec PC  (Read 5319 times)

Enda

• Forum member
Game looks bad, despite good spec PC
« on: August 01, 2007, 16:40:39 »

Hello,

I recently purchased a new PC litaerally 3 weeks ago with the intention of it being up to date and being able to run the latest games with very good graphics. I tried the SS08 demo and unfortunatly the game looked pretty poor.

Here's a quick breakdown of my spec:

Processor: AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 X2 Dual-Core 2.6 GhZ
Memory: 2GB RAM
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce LE 7300 (256MB)

Just to let you know, I'm no expert on computers. I was just advised at the time that this PC had a very decent spec and was just inside my budget.

So I'm just wondering is there some settings I need to tinker with to get the game looking more like the screenshots and less like a PS1 game?

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
Re: Game looks bad, despite good spec PC
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 19:08:10 »

Hiya and welcome to the forums :)

It could be something as simple as a driver issue, could you post some screenshots if possible please.

Just in case, try the latest driver for your graphics card, it's available here (http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_162.22.html).  This is for the 32-bit version of Windows Vista :)

Regards.

DJM.
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People. (http://www.rnib.org.uk)

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 21:09:39 »

Have you tried checking that the graphic settings in the game are on maximum? and are you using the best resolution your graphics card will support?

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

lordjimbob

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 09:24:41 »

Nvidia GeForce LE 7300 is a really shocking graphics cards - such low specs! Berely any of my games run properly on it - upgrade to 8-series!

Enda

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 11:43:57 »

the graphics card is the problem? But I thought 256mb was pretty decent? I must have been misled when I bought this PC so  >:(
Would it be possible for you to reccommend a specific model of Nvidia graphics card?

And is it easy to fit into the tower itself? Are all graphics cards a common fit?

As I said, I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to computers and can't say I'm delving into familiar territory here  :-\

NiElS

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 11:56:16 »

I suggest something in the 8 serie, like a 8500GT.
A graphic card of the type 7300 LE is really bad, and i mean BAD. Also 256 is not so good.
Especially for this time of the year 2007, there are way better cards for low prices.
I can't believe you buyed such computer with a 7300LE. It does not fit together.

I'm still using XP, because Vista is horrible, and i got a MSI Geforce 7950 GX2 1GB DDR3.
One of the best directX9 cards for XP. In the future, when i will use Vista again, i need to buy a new processor, because this E6400 of intel s*cks. And ofcourse a DirectX10 graphiccard for windows Vista, when the official DirectX 10 patch will come out. Now, windows vista is running on directX9 and a little extra. So as i said, when the directx10 patch will come out, Vista will run 100% on directx10.

Good luck with finding a good card in the 8 serie.

Niels
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 12:04:37 by NiElS »
If it sinks, you need to fix it ;)

BlackBat

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 12:00:04 »

Hello Enda,

I support the suggest of DJM that you may pose a screenshot of your visual gameplay screen.

Furthermore you still have to keep in mind that the SS`08 can't be compared with the graphic engine of the microsoft flightsimulator x for example. I also have some rendering problems with my graphic card although this one is not older than half a year and also owns 256 MB.

mfg blackbat
(http://www.praxissemester.info)

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 12:50:14 »

To clarify the LE subject, these cards have cut-down hardware and are not as powerful as the ordinary cards (without LE) or the higher-end cards.

You could compare them to the old MX cards in the GeForce 2, 3 and 4 series.

They will run most games, but when the hardware is pushed, they can perform very badly.

Regards.

DJM.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

Enda

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 13:27:28 »

(http://img389.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitledyy5.jpg)
(http://img364.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitled1xd4.jpg)
(http://img399.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitled2kk7.jpg)

click for full pic

so just to clarify, are all graphics cards a standerd size? If I go out to a shop tomorrow and pick up a series 8 card, does it just slot in or how does it work? :S And will it definatly fit?

Sorry for my n00bness, just think the demo is great and I'd love to enjoy the game with proper graphics

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 13:35:15 »

so just to clarify, are all graphics cards a standerd size? If I go out to a shop tomorrow and pick up a series 8 card, does it just slot in or how does it work? :S And will it definatly fit?

Sorry for my n00bness, just think the demo is great and I'd love to enjoy the game with proper graphics

That definitely looks like a graphics issue, did you update your driver?

Also, it may be an idea to check that Windows, DirectX and your Motherboard drivers are up-to-date :)

All graphics cards aren't the same unfortunately.  There are 2 main types, AGP and PCI-Express.  You would need to check which card you have before purchasing a new one ;)

One way to check this is in your Device Manager ;)

It's not n00bness,  how can you be expected to know if you've never dealt with anything like this before ;)

Regards.

DJM.

slk230

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 16:22:42 »

If your system is only 3 weeks old I would definitely speak with the company that sold it to you.

How does your display look in other applications or even pictures on the Internet?

I really doubt it is the card as in general most of the newer cards (especially NVIDIA) all have an excellent display the difference is more of speed then of quality of display.

One easy test: If you can buy a new card at a store where you can return it within a few days then install the new card and see if it makes a difference. (I doubt it will)

Many times people who are deep into computers are quite often a bit "Snobby" about their systems and feel that just because they spent $500 on a graphics card that everyone should.

The problem is that software manufactures would have a very hard time selling games if it required a $500 card to make it work well.

If your system is new you probably have a PCI Express card but check it with whomever you bought the system from before trying a new card.

Also read what the box that Ship Sim came in to see what they say the graphic card requirements are.

Hope that helped let us know.

AL

PS I just noticed you have your resolution set to 640 X 480. That is way to low and very well might be the cause of the problem.

With 256k on your graphics card you will be able to do at least 1024 X 768. Try it and see.

Right click on the desktop and click settings. Then move the slider to 1024 X768 then try the game again.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 16:29:23 by slk230 »

Krissern92

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 16:59:27 »

How much memory your graphics card has is not important. It's much more important how many stream processors, pixel-shaders, texture filtering your card has. This means that if your card had 512mb memory, you couldn't tell the difference :P

Enda

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2007, 17:51:46 »

If your system is only 3 weeks old I would definitely speak with the company that sold it to you.

How does your display look in other applications or even pictures on the Internet?

I really doubt it is the card as in general most of the newer cards (especially NVIDIA) all have an excellent display the difference is more of speed then of quality of display.

One easy test: If you can buy a new card at a store where you can return it within a few days then install the new card and see if it makes a difference. (I doubt it will)

Many times people who are deep into computers are quite often a bit "Snobby" about their systems and feel that just because they spent $500 on a graphics card that everyone should.

The problem is that software manufactures would have a very hard time selling games if it required a $500 card to make it work well.

If your system is new you probably have a PCI Express card but check it with whomever you bought the system from before trying a new card.

Also read what the box that Ship Sim came in to see what they say the graphic card requirements are.

Hope that helped let us know.

AL

PS I just noticed you have your resolution set to 640 X 480. That is way to low and very well might be the cause of the problem.

With 256k on your graphics card you will be able to do at least 1024 X 768. Try it and see.

Right click on the desktop and click settings. Then move the slider to 1024 X768 then try the game again.

i re-sized the images with imageshack so they would be easier to view. the res is set to 1024x768

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2007, 18:29:59 »

The resolution in Ship Sim '08 cannot be set any lower than 1024x768 anyway, so this would make little difference to the game ;)

Regards.

DJM.

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2007, 18:39:40 »

A little review of the card for you:

7300LE (http://www.pcpro.co.uk/labs/87306/nvidia-geforce-7300-le.html) (MSI Version - May 2006)

This may give you an idea of what the experts say, just to avoid any confusion ;)

Regards.

DJM.

Enda

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2007, 22:24:45 »

appreciate the help up to now guys  ;)

so I should aim for an 8500GT card? how expensive would that be? I haven't exactly got a few hundred quid at my disposal.

Also, are you sure it's just the graphics card? Is my processor and ram decent enough and will they work well hand in hand with a new graphics card?

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2007, 22:33:20 »

You don't necessarily need to go for an 8500 or any other card that is recommended by others, just try to avoid the low-end cards and get something that is going to accomplish the task you are buying it for ;)

Ram and processor seem fine, and all components work together as you say 'hand-in-hand'.

A good idea is to check places like www.tomshardware.co.uk for reviews of components that you are looking at buying ;)

Regards.

DJM.

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2007, 22:54:11 »

Just now I'm using a Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS (256Mb PCI-E card), is that any good?

I've just seen a Inno3D Geforce 8500GT 800MHz 512MB Graphics Card for
 Â£50 on a British website, should I go for it? Just now I'm using XP and have no intention of upgrading to Vista

Cheers
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit  |  CPU: Intel i7-4770k @ 3.5 GHz  |  RAM: 16Gb DDR3  |  Graphic Card: Asus GTX 660 DirectCU II OC

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2007, 22:57:56 »

The 7600GS should be fine ;)

The Geforce 8500GT is apparently a great card, I can't comment on Inno3D products though, not used them at all, sorry :-[

Regards.

DJM.

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2007, 23:15:55 »

Thanks DJM, apparently the next step-up from 8500GT is 8600GT, which is much better in terms of more juice, more processing power and uses DDR3 memory (sorry if it's all gobblygook to some people!) instead of DDR2 memory as used in a 8500GT graphic card.

It's difficult to know which graphic card is better as each manufacturer is different and its performance can vary, which probably don't help the confusion!  :-\

I'll probably wait until after Xmas which I hope the 8000GT series will have come down in price by then.

Once again thanks for your advice.  :)
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit  |  CPU: Intel i7-4770k @ 3.5 GHz  |  RAM: 16Gb DDR3  |  Graphic Card: Asus GTX 660 DirectCU II OC

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2007, 23:18:30 »

It's difficult to know which graphic card is better as each manufacturer is different and its performance can vary, which probably don't help the confusion!  :-\

I'll probably wait until after Xmas which I hope the 8000GT series will have come down in price by then.

Once again thanks for your advice.  :)

I will definitely agree with that, it can get confusing :-\

After Christmas eh, rather you than me, I've got no money left by then lol

It's my pleasure to help out, anytime I can offer advice, I will ;D

Regards.

DJM.

shipfan55

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2007, 02:54:56 »

EDIT:oh my god i did NOT post that What the HELLo kitty???????? someone hacked my accoutn omg ACHHHHHHHH
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 03:53:42 by shipfan55 »

Tom91

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2008, 10:25:46 »

Im running the 7600GS seems fine enough just wondering (sorry to hijack your post) my specs are Pentium 4 (3.00GHZ) Nvidia 7600GS and 1GB RAM (DDR SD) so should my next upgrade be to double the RAM (can do this relatively cheaply) or a better graphics card?

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2008, 10:29:04 »

i would get the ram
my collecton of ship sim pics
http://s292.photobucket.com/albums/mm9/pauljanaway1/

Tom91

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2008, 10:30:25 »

Hmm yeah i think i will the game runs average at the moment but i think its my RAM thats a bottleneck as the processor and graphics card are above minimum specs
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines