Hello Guest April 28, 2024, 22:11:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why doesn the Ocean-Star have any rudders?  (Read 2029 times)

Azipod

• Forum member
Why doesn the Ocean-Star have any rudders?
« on: May 19, 2009, 00:17:53 »

It's a little bit odd not being able to steer the Ocean-Star when the tractor-azimith thrusters are not on.
Why was the Ocean-Star designed this way?  It doesn't seem to be very realistic because as I understand it, even in real-life Azipod systems there are rudders so that you can get directional steer even though there are no RPMs.

I'm having a lot of trouble guiding and aligning my ship when I pull "head in first" into port.  I'm having a lot of trouble making final adjustments because I can't use the Thrusters to steer my ship accurately.   I've managed to kind of cope with it by using thrusters to "steer" my ship when pulling head-in first into port.

What kind of techniques are you guys using?

Thanks.

Captain Darling

• Forum member
Re: Why doesn the Ocean-Star have any rudders?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 00:26:19 »

It's a little bit odd not being able to steer the Ocean-Star when the tractor-azimith thrusters are not on.
Why was the Ocean-Star designed this way?  It doesn't seem to be very realistic because as I understand it, even in real-life Azipod systems there are rudders so that you can get directional steer even though there are no RPMs.
I agree - I was watching a documentry the other day of the making of the QM2. It has 2 fixed pods and two 360 degree pods and a rudder.

I agree that there should be a rudder on the Ocean Star also, for sure.
Regards,
James

TerryRussell

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 00:37:55 »

Well, good for QM2, but Ocean Star is not QM2 (obviously).

What exactly makes Ocean Star wrong, then?

QM2 doesn't have rollocks. Does that make her wrong, since Petit Blue III does have them?

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 00:56:19 »

Hello Terry,

In fact, Azipod legs have been designed and can be used as rudders due to their relatively important dimensions. It improves steering at all speeds without degrading the advantages of pods. It is not possible to simulate that in ShipSim2008 in a realistic way, and will be implemented in the next version, as some here probably guessed it.
But there are also azimuthal pods with slim legs and no rudders, and Ocean Star will be modified for her next upgrade in the shipyard, I think  :D
Regards,
Luc

mvsmith

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 08:06:50 »

Ocean Star can be steered accurately and docked easily if one takes the trouble to learn how. There are posts that explain a very simple way to accomplish that.

http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,9012.msg104399.html#msg104399

is one.

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 14:34:56 »

Ocean Star can be steered accurately and docked easily if one takes the trouble to learn how. There are posts that explain a very simple way to accomplish that.

http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,9012.msg104399.html#msg104399

is one.

Yepp! And comparable vessels (by size) don't even have additional rudders.. ::)
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Look at www.elbdampfer-hamburg.de
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines