Hello Guest April 26, 2024, 18:00:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Editing missions  (Read 2921 times)

Frin63

• Forum member
Editing missions
« on: May 15, 2009, 11:15:58 »

I have recently started to create some missions. The editor is a great piece of work, but it has some cumbersome aspects, for instance I haven't found a way to correct a simple typo in the start of a message without having to type it out completly again. Also it's not possible to fully edit existing waypoints, like attaching them to another Area object.
I had this 'great' idea of just modifying this ind of issues directly in the XML files, but found out that those are not really XML. Wel perhaps they are, but then in a compressed and/or scrambled form. Is this deliberate or is there another way to edit the mission in XML format?

mvsmith

Re: Editing missions
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 14:43:50 »

Hi Frin63,

Yes, the notes in the ME are not easy to edit. I keep all of the notes for a mission in a text editor file, and edit them there. Then I paste them into the Mission Editor after backspacing over the old note.

One must be very careful about making any changes to waypoints. It is easy to corrupt the internal data structures by deleting or moving waypoints or objects.
There is no easy way to transfer a waypoint onto a different object.

Specifically, you cannot substitute a different ship—even one of the same type—after the waypoints are made.

One serious mistake many creators make is failure to give every area object a unique name. Another is deleting a ship without first removing all waypoints and mooring lines or other attachments to that ship, or deleting an AI path without first deleting every ship on the path.

The XML files are very easily corrupted—simply attempting to upload them to the forum without encapsulating them in a compressed folder will usually damage them.
Mission files are in a special format that most XML editors cannot handle.

Regards,
Marty

redfishgtx

• Forum member
Re: Editing missions
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 20:16:06 »

Can someone please explain the "special"-ness of the crane and key elements needed to creatge a sucessfull mission op.
Can someone say nhow to "unlock" a mission, to be used for learning of certain ops like container loading unloading.
Can someone summarize (bullet points are fine for now) how to import an existing object, say another crane type, and then how to specify its articulation?
Is there a tool used for editing objects?
Sorry if these questions are old hat but I've not quite found what I'm looking for and existing subject matter responses are terse and not informative.
Thanks for your time,
Rob (redfishgtx)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines