Hello Guest April 28, 2024, 21:40:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: I got a laptop!  (Read 24495 times)

firestar12

I got a laptop!
« on: May 03, 2009, 00:15:47 »

Hey guys, I got a laptop today from my sister. It does not work that well. It turns on for a few seconds like it is going to start, then shuts off. I really hope I can get someone to work on it. Does anyone know what the problem might be? Also, I will be posting pictures later tonight. ;D

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
Re: I got a laptop!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 00:28:48 »

Dead battery? Perhaps the bios is corrupt?
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

firestar12

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 00:29:50 »

What is the Bios?

Kapn Jonah

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 04:09:33 »

I don't know, but you should really try plugging it in to the charger for a few hours, mine takes 3 hours to charge the battery fully, if its completely dead...
Regards,
Jonah

RMSGreatBritain

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 08:12:10 »

plug it into the wall for a while. you can still use it when its plugged in, thats how im using my laptop right now. you may have to hold the on button for a long while, try holding it until you see some lights come on or the screen turns on.

I hope that helps
DiamondEagleDB09rms On youtube! Now with New Playlist!
<br />Thanks to TJK for this awesome Sig!

S.Reich

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 08:27:31 »

plug it into the wall for a while. you can still use it when its plugged in, thats how im using my laptop right now. you may have to hold the on button for a long while, try holding it until you see some lights come on or the screen turns on.

I hope that helps

Exactly, sir. And if that doesn't work, its pretty safe to assume there's either a bios problem, or a botched operating system install. If it's relatively new, I'd try the manufacturer website for support and downloads. Good Luck.

Scott Reich
Titan Administrator
www.titanshipping.net

TerryRussell

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 11:24:58 »

Did your sister say that the reason she gave it to you was because it didn't work any longer?  :evil:

TJK

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 14:57:33 »

What is the Bios?
The BIOS are the "motor" that find all you have in you pc, it start when you press the power button and add all you hardware and settings for you pc to start, when you start you pc, pres DEL on you KEY board, so it will load , but sense you don't know watt it is. i think you shod not do it you can destroy you pc in their and it never start again
Here you can read more about bios http://computer.howstuffworks.com/bios.htm
TJK/Tore

firestar12

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 15:07:41 »

Did your sister say that the reason she gave it to you was because it didn't work any longer?  :evil:
Kinda...I am going to find out what is wrong with it by Tuesday. There is a relatively local PC shop in another town and he does free diagnostics! ;D

TerryRussell

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 16:24:36 »

That's sisters for you!

firestar12

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 18:26:49 »

Haha...yep. But at least it was not my sister Crystal!

Minime

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2009, 19:15:19 »

Haha...yep. But at least it was not my sister Crystal!
Thank god for that, anyway I hope you'll get the computer fixed soon.

thanks to Tore/TJK for this awesome sig

firestar12

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 01:02:50 »

Thank god for that, anyway I hope you'll get the computer fixed soon.
Haha Yeah, if it was from Crystal, I would not be typing this because there would have been a car bomb in it. Anyway, here are the pics. It has a really big screen!
Top quality imagery if you ask me... ::)

S.Reich

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 02:14:18 »

So, do ya have a make/model and model number? if you do, and it's your sister's computer, purchased by her, then the manufacturer website might help. I'll help you out with that if you want. Just pm me.
Scott Reich
Titan Administrator
www.titanshipping.net

TerryRussell

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 16:16:33 »

That looks almost identical to the one I carry around for business, except mine is less fuzzy and grainy  :evil:.

Let us know the make and model number (probably shown on a label on the underside).
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 21:30:36 by TerryRussell »

CaptainMike1

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2009, 16:29:07 »

Firestar

Tell your sister to buy you a new one as you haven't got time to fix her old one as you are soooo  busy building the ss United States!!

Mike

:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

firestar12

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2009, 15:52:34 »

Firestar

Tell your sister to buy you a new one as you haven't got time to fix her old one as you are soooo  busy building the ss United States!!

Mike

:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
No, its mine now! Haha...Mike, you don't realize this, but this is good, I can work on SSUS any time! I am going to find out what is wrong with it in a few hours.
EDIT: Maybe in a few hours I will post a whole lot better quality image. And yours truly might be in it if your lucky... ::)

New news about this laptop! I had found out a while ago that the motherboard was fried, so I picked up a new one off of ebay for $1.50!! :lol: :2thumbs:
Also, I think if I remember correctly some people were wondering what kind of laptop this is, search google for Dell Latitude CPx. :D
Also, the make and model number is, well, the serial number is 11222373. I could not find the other one.

CaptainMike1

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2009, 16:42:41 »

Shane

All you have to do now is work out how to install the new motherboard!

Mike

firestar12

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2009, 16:53:28 »

Yay! And I accidentally bid on the wrong motherboard, oh well, both were only 99 cents. Does anyone know how to cancel a bid? If not, it is not a big problem. I now ordered the RIGHT part though. The other motherboard was for a class D Latitude, I meant to order one for a class C latitude like mine. Does anyone here have any instructions on how to install a motherboard?

CaptainMike1

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2009, 17:04:13 »

Must be possible to cancel a bid as I have had bids cancelled on things I was selling.

See this:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/buy/questions/retract-bid.html
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 17:06:30 by CaptainMike1 »

Captain Darling

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2009, 17:04:48 »

Does anyone here have any instructions on how to install a motherboard?
Ask that local PC shop to do it.

If you aren't familiar with pc components and installations. Better let pro's do it then damaging the motherboard and maybe other hardware.
Regards,
James

firestar12

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2009, 17:28:39 »

Ok, well, my brother could probably do it for me, he goes to a college for computers.

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2009, 18:09:06 »

Actually, laptops are very difficult to repair. They have many different types of screws, and you pretty much have to dismantle everything before you get to the motherboard.

And a tip if you are doing it yourself - laptops are VERY delicate. If you have to use force, you're not doing it properly ;)
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

firestar12

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2009, 18:09:57 »

Ok, thanks Adam! ;D

Captain Darling

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2009, 18:17:04 »

Actually, laptops are very difficult to repair. They have many different types of screws, and you pretty much have to dismantle everything before you get to the motherboard.

And a tip if you are doing it yourself - laptops are VERY delicate. If you have to use force, you're not doing it properly ;)
Exactly, I tried to figure out why my brothers laptop was broken, before I looked at it it seemed it was a dead battery, but it wouldn't work on the mains..
Tried getting into the laptop but I gave up.. I can only do desktops, laptops I take to my local pc shop.
Regards,
James
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines