Hello Guest October 06, 2024, 07:23:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: maths  (Read 1748 times)

maritiem

• Forum member
maths
« on: April 20, 2009, 19:11:43 »

Hi

I have a question: do you need to be good at mathematics if you want to become a captain?
Thanks for you guys help!  :thumbs:

maritiem

People can almost do anything, The only thing they can't is forgive each other.

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
Re: maths
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 19:15:30 »

Well, I am useless at maths, so I asked the same question as you to one of the officer's at the Nautical College.

He said that he had a C Grade, which didn't actually limit him, and he could do as much as he wanted, or the same as a person with an A. Basically, it didn't affect him.

You do however, need at least a C in all subjects to get into the Merchant Navy. Subjects covered in the Merchant Navy in maths is mainly triganomotry, and a few others-but not too many, mainly triganomotry.

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

llamalord

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 19:20:15 »

Don't take this personally but... I hate it when I'm talking to some one from the European area and they say Maths While I say Math. :-\
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

(http://www.userbars.com)
www.llamalord

maritiem

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 19:25:08 »

Well, I am useless at maths, so I asked the same question as you to one of the officer's at the Nautical College.

He said that he had a C Grade, which didn't actually limit him, and he could do as much as he wanted, or the same as a person with an A. Basically, it didn't affect him.

You do however, need at least a C in all subjects to get into the Merchant Navy. Subjects covered in the Merchant Navy in maths is mainly triganomotry, and a few others-but not too many, mainly triganomotry.

Jack.

So you are saying that you don't have to be a rocket scientist to follow the education?

maritiem

maritiem

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 19:27:35 »

Don't take this personally but... I hate it when I'm talking to some one from the European area and they say Maths While I say Math. :-\

Don't blame me, blame the dictionary instead  ;)

maritiem

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 19:35:05 »

So you are saying that you don't have to be a rocket scientist to follow the education?

maritiem

Correct ;D-You just need a C.

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

TerryRussell

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 19:43:33 »

Since "maths" is the contraction of "Mathematics", "maths" is the correct term, from an English viewpoint.

To me, "Math" sounds wrong.  :evil:

maritiem

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 15:19:23 »

Correct ;D-You just need a C.

Jack.

What kind of level do you actually have? here in Sweden you need to follow maths at level C. Do you know which level you need to follow?

maritiem

mvsmith

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 16:25:53 »

Gentlemen,
Since there are many different branches of mathematics, British usage actually makes sense—for once.
Thanks to the New Englander Nathaniel Bowditch, one is relieved of much of the mathematics involved in navigation.
Regards,
Marty

RMS Canada

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 16:57:49 »

I suck at math  >:(
All ahead full!

CaptainMike1

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 17:04:22 »

I suck at math  >:(

What do you do to Maths?

RMS Canada

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 17:06:01 »

What do you do to Maths?

I'm not good at math, it's my hardest subject.
All ahead full!

firestar12

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 17:45:34 »

I agree with you, RMS Canada.

TerryRussell

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 18:15:36 »

Gentlemen,
Since there are many different branches of mathematics, British usage actually makes sense—for once.
Regards,
Marty

We, the Knights who say Nih, are greatly offended and will take action for this grave insult.

As we are English, you will never be able to tell if we are rabidly angry or merely sipping tea on a Sunday afternoon, of course.

Prepare to be looked at rather crossly. We trust that will bring you to your senses.  :evil:

There! Now don't do that again, please.

;D

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 18:47:30 »

What do I do, I'm Irish Terry? :lol:

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

sadsid († 2016)

• IN MEMORIAM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 18:51:44 »

What do I do, I'm Irish Terry? :lol:

Jack.
Don't you borrow you'r brothers hands and feet if you run out of fingers and toe's  ;D
                                                                                      :angel: Eric

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2009, 19:25:46 »

At almost the same time as Nathaniel Bowditch published his work in the USA, "The New American Practical Navigator", 1802, almost coincidentally, one J.W.Norie of London published his work in 1803, "Complete Set of Nautical Tables & Epitome of Practical Navigation". Both these publications, updated to match present day navigational techniques, are still being used today. Norie conducted a nautical academy at 157 Leadenhall Street, London. His work was published by the firm of which he later became the principal and surprisingly that firm is still in existence today under the name of Imray, Laurie, Norie & Wilson Ltd. Many British seafarers used, and still use, those tables today. My copy, rather dog-eared, still sits in the bookcase at home.

Angus.

BTW to Maritiem, it helps a great deal if you understand spherical trigonometry, but with the use of Sat. Nav. nowadays I'm not sure how much use is made of the old methods.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 19:47:13 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

TerryRussell

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2009, 20:35:04 »

Hi Angus.

I think that a great deal of emphasis is still placed on the older, manual methods. Over a lifetime at sea, there will be a considerable number of times when the sat nav will fail to work.

For instance, did you know that many sat navs will go blind in heavy rain and in thick fog? (They can't "see" the GPS satellites very well under those conditions).
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines