Hello Guest October 07, 2024, 13:25:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: French Fishermen cause Caos  (Read 1880 times)

Nathan|C

French Fishermen cause Caos
« on: April 15, 2009, 19:49:13 »

News -

Tens of thousands of tourists and hauliers have been stranded by a blockade of Channel ports by French fishermen.

Victims included families returning home from the Easter weekend, whose sailings were cancelled as the protests escalated.

The fishermen, who are protesting against EU fishing quotas, started in Boulogne, before moving along the coast to Calais and continuing up to Dunkirk.

P & O Ferries, which has 34 sailings each way between Dover and Calais, has been the worst hit. It accounts for more than half the traffic across the channel.

The ferry company was forced to cancel its services from 3pm. One of its vessels is blockaded in Calais, two vessels are stuck in the Channel and the remaining four are held at Dover.

Many of those stranded will be among the 130,000 passengers P& O carried across the Channel over Easter.

"It is bad enough for tourists, but hauliers account for 55 per cent of our business," a company spokesman said.

"This could drive some of the small trucking businesses to the wall, especially in the current economic climate.

"The fishermen have made their point, but it is not only them who are having a hard time."

The blockade has also hit Sea France, which runs 20 services a day between Dover and Calais.

LD Lines, a smaller carrier, was forced to cancel its afternoon service from Boulogne to Dover.

The disruption led to police in Kent having to run Operation Stack, which entailed using sections of the M20 to hold lorries until the dispute is settled.

In Boulogne, militant fishermen – some flying the skull and crossbones – used Napoleonic style underwater cables to stop ships breaking through the blockade.

Patrick Haezebruck, spokesman for France's Confédération Générale du Travail, said the action was aimed at President Nicolas Sarkozy's government and the European Union.

"We're taking tough action, for as long as it takes, because small-scale fishing is dying while fish stocks are flourishing,'' he said.

Meanwhile Marc Perrault warned the blockade could be a lengthy one.

"The dispute could go on for days, weeks or months – as long as it takes for the government to see sense."

Others threatened to use force to prevent ships getting through.

Richard Ashworth, the Conservative euro-MP for south east England, demanded the French fishermen halt the blockade.

"People across southern England will be thinking "here we go again," he said.

"Every time the French blockade a port it makes our lives across South East England miserable – that's why the French do it.

"British fishermen have as much right as French fishermen to complain about the failings of the EU's Common Fisheries Policy.

"We do need to overhaul the CFP and the Common Agricultural Policy but it is the French government that often acts as a roadblock to reform.

" It is not fair for French fishermen to take out their frustrations on us and turn the M20 into a lorry park.

"It is time the French government put an end to this. Our transport links should never operate at the mercy of French fishermen."

This isn't the first time they've done this.... Norfolkine, LD Lines and SeaFrance have all been hit badly by this strike. In some areas the fishermen are using underwater cables to stop ships passing the blockade.

Saphire

• Forum member
Re: French Fishermen cause Caos
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 20:47:51 »

I think that the french fishermen have every right to do this. The rules and regulations governing fishermen are pushing more and more boats to the brink and past it. Most of the fishing industry is going down hill at the moment due to overfishing.

Teamspeak member!

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 20:52:37 »

So, what exactly is the fuss actually over? The the regulations are too tight? or too loose?

Sorry-Daft question, I know.

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

TerryRussell

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 20:55:32 »

Hi Saphire.

I think you just agreed with Nathan and condemned the fishermen. Why do you think that there are almost no fish left and the number of fish allowed to be caught needs to be cut so much? Answer: greed.

The French fishermen are fighting for the right to suck as many fish out of the sea as they can. This illegal action (which endangers other seafarers) is because they are being stopped from totally destroying the seas with their perpetual overfishing.

Every time anyone tries to reduce their overfishing, they throw a big hissy fit while the French Government sits back, knowing that someone else in the EU will pay for it all. In the meanwhile, the numbers of fish continue to plummet.

It's time everyone, including the French fishermen, got their heads out of the sand and saw the consequences of this infernal greed.  ???

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 20:59:12 »

So in other words, the French Fishermen want to be able to catch more than the legal amount?

What I will say is, even here, the  fishing is poor, dad used to do a lot of fishing, sometimes off the Blackpool piers, and he said back then, within a matter of minutes, you'd have a nice fish on the end of your line.

Now, there's nothing, I remember going out once on the boat and sitting there for hours-not even a nibble. The fishing now seems to be poor in areas :-\

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

TerryRussell

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 21:05:33 »

The amounts (the "quota") are being reduced, to try to stop the inevitable disaster. The French fisherman want to be allowed to continue their plunder of the seas. Strangely they don't see the end of it all rapidly hurtling towards them. (DOH. No fish=no fishing)

Or rather they probably do see it, but want to maximise their "golden handshake" that the French Government will ensure that other EU members will pay. As the only two countries that pay in more than they get out from the EU are Britain and Germany, guess who pays?

Nathan|C

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 08:13:38 »

The French Fishermen have made there point. Why should our ferry companies, and our trade be halted because they want to bend the rules and catch more fish. Unfortunately, it looks as if the fishermen aren't moving today, and Dunkerque, Calais and Bolougne will remain blocked.

RMSGreatBritain

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 10:17:48 »

I believe the French fishermen have every right to protest. but not in this way.

why should lorry drivers, families etc using the ferry routes be affected? why should they pay the price. its not fair on the general public who use the ferry services. If the french fishermen want to protest, they should do it outside of the government building or whatever. Its ridiculous.

and ofcourse now the eurotunnel is going to be chocabloc as people try to avoid these protestors
DiamondEagleDB09rms On youtube! Now with New Playlist!
<br />Thanks to TJK for this awesome Sig!

lilfirefighterbailey

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 14:05:42 »

This realy is a pothetc excuse for attention. They have enough, Terry rightfully says, it's greed.

My friend is due to return home tomorrow from a skiing trip in Austria whereby the ferry crossing is required. Get this, they're even thinking about blocking the channel tunnel. My mates have to return home on Friday in time for school.

If it were up to me. A 59,925GT P&O would happily rip through a fishing vessel. So business would be BOOMING as usual if i were charge. That's why i never stand a chance in government hehe

This ammuses me by the fact they want so much attention however it angers me that they are disrupting our trade.

Kind Regards
Lilfirefighterbailey
Regards
Lilfirefighterbailey
SSN Admin/Founder

Nathan|C

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 14:22:03 »

The blockades at Calais, Dunkerque and Bolougne have been temporarily opened.

they should do it outside of the government building or whatever.

They've tried that before, but it ended in small riots...

CaptainMike1

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 16:37:40 »

Years ago when we had one, we could have sent the Navy to sort the 'fishers' out!!

Nathan|C

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 16:39:03 »

P&O says they have lost there patience with the French Government, and have now sent the Pride of Dover on a service between Dover and Oostende.  ::)

Saphire

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 16:43:28 »

Even the crab and lobster industry is going down hill, I mean years ago my father would go out and get roughly 3-4 boxes of Brown Crab for a days work now he is lucky to get one. In the whole of britian the crab marcket is flooded with far to many crab so forceing the price down and down and now only crab factory in Orkney has stoped takeing brown crab to 3-4 weeks due to the fact that more is being landed than is needed. :(

Teamspeak member!

CaptainMike1

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 16:50:21 »

P&O says they have lost there patience with the French Government, and have now sent the Pride of Dover on a service between Dover and Oostende.  ::)

Where did you get that from Nathan? This is what P&O currently say:

Dover-Calais

This is the update for 140h00 on Thursday 16th April 09.

The French fishermen have lifted their blockade of Calais port.  From 09h15 our services will be operating normally as per schedule.

Operation stack on the M.20 motorway was stood down earlier this morning and currently freight is free flow into the port of Dover.

Customers will notice a heightened police presence at the ports and are advised to check-in promptly or a little early to accommodate increased security checks.

Nathan|C

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 17:06:00 »

It's on the Dover Ferry Photos forum,

Pride of Dover arrived in Oostende at 11:40am today, fully loaded.

It says for "Berthing Trials" but some news page says that P&O had just lost there patience and had sent the POD to another link. But maybe it's trials for her life ahead...

April 16th 2009: Due to a French fisherman's blockade of the Channel ports the Pride of Dover is sent to Ostend to undertake berthing trials at berth 202.

CaptainMike1

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2009, 17:22:19 »

Nathan

Can you see wat the ferry is astern of her, looks like a should be another P&O one with the outward sloping shape of the windows in the superstructure?

Nathan|C

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2009, 21:35:34 »

It's the ex P&O ferry "Oleander"

http://www.ferry-site.dk/ferry.php?id=7820497&lang=en

Pride of Dover left Oostende at about 3pm local time.

What an amazing looking ferry! I've never seen such design before!

:P She's certainly unique  ::)

CaptainMike1

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2009, 21:58:19 »

It's the ex P&O ferry "Oleander"

http://www.ferry-site.dk/ferry.php?id=7820497&lang=en

Pride of Dover left Oostende at about 3pm local time.

:P She's certainly unique  ::)

Thought I recognized her, sister of the ill-fated Herald of Free Enterprise !,.!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines