Hello Guest April 27, 2024, 23:38:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A question about video file types.  (Read 1002 times)

firestar12

A question about video file types.
« on: March 26, 2009, 23:02:02 »

Are there any video file types that can carry an alpha (transparent) channel?

TerryRussell

Re: A question about video file types.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 00:38:19 »

I don't think so. You can make video content transparent within Vista but that doesn't involve and channels in the video stream.

You can make animated GIF files, witha transparent colour, of course. Not really video, though.

firestar12

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 00:40:46 »

I don't think so. You can make video content transparent within Vista but that doesn't involve and channels in the video stream.

You can make animated GIF files, witha transparent colour, of course. Not really video, though.
I wish they did have transparent video file types! Would make animating things a lot easier.

mvsmith

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 01:13:37 »

Hi Firestar,

It depends upon what you actually want to do. If you want a standalone video that will show the ambient background wherever you place it, then Terry is right: GIF is about the only—poor—choice.

If, however, you want to make videos with animation over a background that is part of the video, then various video editors offer “green screen” compositing of one track with a color designated as transparent over another track.
Pinnacle Studio offers this in some versions. Sony Vegas, which I use, is a better, more stable, choice. You can get into the business for less than $US 100. There may be less expensive programs to do it.

Regards,
Marty

firestar12

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 20:52:39 »

Sorry to bump up this old topic again but I had another question. Can .dds images take an alpha channel?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines