Hello Guest October 18, 2024, 11:26:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Sherpa stern controls  (Read 4507 times)

n77737

• Forum member
Sherpa stern controls
« on: March 26, 2009, 18:22:59 »

The after throttle controls on the Sherpa, and the small tug, are mixed up, the throttle on the stbd side operates the port engine and the port throttle operates the stbd engine. This makes it difficult to manuever from the after controls which are used for the majority of work in these types of vessels. Is there a fix for this?

Dave

saltydog

• Forum member
Re: Sherpa stern controls
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 18:38:07 »

Hiya, you can easily configure the controls for your keyboard or joystick by going to Options - Controls..

This manual may help: http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,3472.0.html

n77737

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 20:35:18 »

I believe that any changes made would effect all controls, the after controls need to be confingured differently than the controls at the front console of the wheelhouse. To see what I mean go into walkabout mode and move to the aft console in the Sherpa wheelhouse. With the mouse pull the right hand throttle towards you, ahead. You will note that the stbd engine will respond. This is not the correct responce. The port engine should go ahead, the engine on the same side as the throttle control you move should respond.
I spent over thirtyone years as master of these vessels, the controls are always set up so that they are intuitive, you should not have to think about how an engine or rudder will respond to a control movement.

Dave

matt5674

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 02:11:38 »

hello n77737,
On the Fairmount Sherpa, you can go to walkthrough and walk to the back of the bridge, and there will be another set of controls. They are the same controls as the forward ones. doing full throttle at the back will make the Fairmount Sherpa go astern. Turning port or starboard astern will make it go in the opposite when forward. so the controls and the tugs are just backwards. just to make them go like the forward controls, don't use the control panel in the bottom Left for backward needs. use the controls on the backward bridge.

mvsmith

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 04:13:33 »

hello n77737,
On the Fairmount Sherpa, you can go to walkthrough and walk to the back of the bridge, and there will be another set of controls.

I don’t think you read Dave’s post carefully. I think he can find his way to the after controls.
One problem is that the throttles are switched left from right. As you face aft, it would be nice if the throttle on your left controlled the screw on you left, to use charter fishing boat terminology.
Had the throttles been mounted with forward facing forward, there would be no problem.
Regards,
Marty

I’m pretty sure it will be fixed eventually. It will have to be done for Pro, so the ship will then be available for NP; maybe not until SS 2010. Or replacement ships may be available for download sooner, if the creek don’t rise.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 04:21:12 by mvsmith »

matt5674

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 01:13:01 »

I think for a little fun, the controls stay facing the default camera 1 position, where the camera is in a chase view.

TerryRussell

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 06:52:03 »

Hi chaps.

The vessel dynamics engineers have taken note of your feedback, and have produced some potential updates for a number of vessels. These are being alpha tested now, anf if acceptable, I will release them for beta testing on Creators Forum within the next day or so.

There are also a number of reduced size controls being made available at the same time. (Similar to the ones for Vermaas that were released recently).

matt5674

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 16:03:12 »

And for a control panel update on Titanic, the controls on the bottom left will have Titanic's wheel and her telegraph. almost like Titanic in SS06 but different. And I also thought to put the real horns on the ships. Here is Titainic's true horn:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n72DWLkkvUM
And if Mauretania is added, here is her horn:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwVADeuZZZs
And Queen Mary if added:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqX09114j10&feature=related
And lets not forget the queen mary 2 if added:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfEvt_Byg9U
Plese don't mind the music and the people talking on the QM2 horn video.

TerryRussell

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 19:46:34 »

There's been a huge amount of discussion about what Titanic's "true" horn sounded like. The one in the Simulator is probably as close as it is possible to get, as there is absolutely no way of telling how the horn would have sounded exactly.

The gentle blowing of the restored horn which was not attached to the mass of Titanc, nor plumbed into the entire length of the original piping, with all its twists and turns, etc is no indication at all, unfortunately.

So any discussion about how realistic the one in Ship Simulator may or may not be is purely a matter of opinion. Lots of opinions, no facts. Shame, but there you are.

As the other vessels aren't in Ship Simulator, discussion of them is a bit academic, I guess.  ;)

matt5674

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 00:03:00 »

but I think the Titanic's horn used right now is close enough to the True Titanic horn. But there are some people who don't know the real Titanic horn except the passengers of Titanic, Thomas Andrews, Bruce Ismay, The crew of Titanic and the people who were at Southampton to see Titanic set off. But back on topic, please?

TerryRussell

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 00:13:29 »

I have just released a set of updated vessel controls on Creators Forum.

See http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,13553.msg166344.html#msg166344  :thumbs:

Daniel Cho

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 05:25:26 »

ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ 초딩주제 까불긴ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

matt5674

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2009, 18:32:36 »

ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ 초딩주제 까불긴ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
No More Squares! We know you speak English, You know.

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2009, 18:39:12 »

You have to have a certain language pack installed to see what the "squares" are Matt.

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2009, 18:41:17 »

There're no squares - only chinese letters.

I think that's Korean, actually..   :)

matt5674

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2009, 18:46:20 »

This might be what he was saying what I think Babelfish completely translated:
"The candle [ting] subject will act rashly and,"

TerryRussell

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2009, 18:54:31 »

This might be what he was saying what I think Babelfish completely translated:
"The candle [ting] subject will act rashly and,"

Ah, now it all makes sense...  :evil:  ???  :o

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2009, 19:08:31 »

Ah yes, the classic old saying..   :-\

:lol:

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2009, 19:11:57 »

No idea, I was just kidding.  :)

TerryRussell

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2009, 19:13:41 »

Don't look at me. It was meaningless gibberish as far as I could tell.  :evil:

n77737

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2009, 12:20:18 »

The new stern controls are a great improvement. Thanks to the developers for their attention.

Dave

TerryRussell

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2009, 19:41:59 »

Hi Dave.

Pleased to hear it.

It just shows that the Developers do listen to what is said. No guarantee that all requests can be addressed, but sometimes...  :thumbs:

Did you post your feedback on Creators Forum? By doing that, the developers can see what things worked best, and which things are worth doing in future. Thanks.

n77737

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2009, 12:13:59 »

On a related subject: is it possible to use the keyboard to control engines while in walkabout mode (after moving to the stern controls in the Sherpa)?

Dave

TerryRussell

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2009, 13:23:32 »

On a related subject: is it possible to use the keyboard to control engines while in walkabout mode (after moving to the stern controls in the Sherpa)?

Dave

I don't believe it is possible in any vessel, currently.

The mouse can be used, though.

mvsmith

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2009, 15:05:27 »

You can possibly assign an alternate set of keys for operating from the after station in walkabout, but I've never tried it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines