Hello Guest April 28, 2024, 19:54:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Do u believe that the world will finis acording to the mayan prophecy (saturday 22 december 2012

yes
- 7 (11.9%)
no
- 47 (79.7%)
i dont know about that prophecy
- 5 (8.5%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: End of the world  (Read 26949 times)

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
Re: End of the world
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2009, 23:07:12 »

Funnily enough a work colleague asked me this very question recently.

He is totally obsessed with the world ending in December 2012, which is not helped by the fact that our 4-yearly 'strip-style' calendars in work does not extend beyond 2012 (we received them in 2008). I told him this was just a coincidence, and jokingly suggested this was done so that the bean counters in the Civil Service would not have to shell out money to buy new 'strip style' calendars for 2012-2016, just in case the prophecy does come true!!!  :lol:

Kev
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit  |  CPU: Intel i7-4770k @ 3.5 GHz  |  RAM: 16Gb DDR3  |  Graphic Card: Asus GTX 660 DirectCU II OC

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2009, 14:11:27 »

Do not take this seriously...I made a website (just for fun) :thumbs:

http://www.2012end.info/ :D :D

Its a count down to 21st December 2012.

(oh if the site is down its because its not 100% completed by ISP) ;)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 14:13:31 by JHB »

Minime

• Forum member
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2009, 14:14:41 »

lol, finally I can track how long time all other people have to live.

thanks to Tore/TJK for this awesome sig

Hudizzle

• Forum member
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2009, 18:54:02 »

So the Mayans didn't finish their calendar... big boohoo.  :D
And besides... even if something does happen, it would be the end of the world.. just a bad time... a rough patch... maybe the end of things as we know it, but most of us would still be here.  :thumbs:
"You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is.. Never try." -Homer Simpson-

firestar12

« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2009, 19:14:35 »

So the Mayans didn't finish their calendar... big boohoo.  :D
And besides... even if something does happen, it would be the end of the world.. just a bad time... a rough patch... maybe the end of things as we know it, but most of us would still be here.  :thumbs:
One thing is for sure: The world WILL end someday and so will he human race.

Hudizzle

• Forum member
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2009, 19:20:23 »

One thing is for sure: The world WILL end someday and so will he human race.

Indeed!

The Human race might only last for a few million years, if we're remotely lucky, haha.

The planet will only last for at least 4 billion more years... until the sun dies out. The Milkyway Galaxy won't last too much longer in its current form.. it will eventually collide with another nearby galaxy.
And if certain theories are to be believed, the universe itself would die out billions of years from now. So, either way, we are screwed. Might as well enjoy it while it lasts... even though it's still plenty of time... until the other stuff... but 2012 is right around the corner.  :o 8)
"You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is.. Never try." -Homer Simpson-

firestar12

« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2009, 19:22:28 »

Indeed!

The Human race might only last for a few million years, if we're remotely lucky, haha.

The planet will only last for at least 4 billion more years... until the sun dies out. The Milkyway Galaxy won't last too much longer in its current form.. it will eventually collide with another nearby galaxy.
And if certain theories are to be believed, the universe itself would die out billions of years from now. So, either way, we are screwed. Might as well enjoy it while it lasts... even though it's still plenty of time... until the other stuff... but 2012 is right around the corner.  :o 8)
I think it is amazing how many theories come back to the end of the world on the same date. If the universe would collapse, what would be there in space? It makes you wonder how the space got here? Or how time itself got here! :o ???

Hudizzle

• Forum member
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2009, 19:30:37 »

I think it is amazing how many theories come back to the end of the world on the same date. If the universe would collapse, what would be there in space? It makes you wonder how the space got here? Or how time itself got here! :o ???

Perhaps the universe would collapse into a supermassive ball a matter, causing another big bang and starting a new universe... there could also be multiple universes.
Our universe is expanding though, and there is no doubt that it started at a central point, if you turn back the clock and retrace the steps.
There are several theories... Once is the big crunch... the universal expansion will slow down, and then it will shrink and collapse in on itself. Then there is the big rip.. the universe will continue to expand, until gravity can no longer hold things together, and all matter is pulled apart.. stars, planets, galaxies, everything. Another is the big freeze... the universe will expand until the heat available in the universe drops below a critical point, causing everything to basically freeze, all matter.
Perhaps it's an ever-continuing cycle.
As for time... maybe there is not actual "time." Maybe time is something we made up so we can keep schedules and keep track of the changing moon, sun, and tides without going insane.  ;D :D

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2009, 19:34:15 »

Naaaa, it won't end in 2012, there's no proof of it.

And, I don't believe our Solar System is going any time soon, theories that it will collapse in on itself and all that, in my eyes, is nonsence, there's no proof to say so, we can't tell the future, so there's no way of knowing.

BUT, man will eventually destroy earth, and then we'll all be on another planet somewhere else.

Who's to say that didn't happen before? That people weren't here before us? or some sort of life form(s)?

People are already moving out, in fact, NASA is planning to send out a capsule with a few people in it, into the atmosphere, that way, they'll be able to tell if its possable for us to survive somewhere else in our Solar System.

If we can't survive anywhere else, whats to say different life forms can't either? People say that "Oh we can't survive people we're "such and such" a distance away from our sun", life forms that are adapted to different environments than us?

Thats my belief anyway. I think its all one big cycle.

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

matt5674

« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2009, 19:35:27 »

The world could end in 2012, but the Milky Way is gonna end in the distant future. The Milky Way's closest neighbor galaxy Andromada will collide with our galaxy and be obliterated.

Hudizzle

• Forum member
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2009, 19:40:16 »

The world could end in 2012, but the Milky Way is gonna end in the distant future. The Milky Way's closest neighbor galaxy Andromada will collide with our galaxy and be obliterated.

Our galaxy won't be obliterated... but it will be drastically changed and mixed up... Milkyway and Andromeda will basically swirl into a single galaxy. A lot of star systems will be thrown off, possibly destroyed, or collide, and many others will probably be thrown off into space.. others will be pushed toward the super massive black hole at the galaxy center... but eventually, the two galaxies will settle down into a single one, making a new galaxy. But it would be a slow process, to us at least, if we're still around. We probably wouldn't even notice it happening, for the most part. It's just all on such a huge scale.

matt5674

« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2009, 19:43:54 »

I know. There could be a star thrown straight to Earth.

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2009, 19:46:05 »

BUT, man will eventually destroy earth, and then we'll all be on another planet somewhere else.

You are absolutely spot-on on one thing - mankind is destroying this planet as we are using up natural resources too quickly and polluting the planet in the process....

In the news Prince Charles gave a warning today that we have 100 months left before the Earth suffer "irreversible damage" as a result of climate change unless mankind start to change their ways now.....next thing HE gets on an aircraft for a 10 day tour of South America!!!!!

Talking about the pot calling the kettle black  ::)
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit  |  CPU: Intel i7-4770k @ 3.5 GHz  |  RAM: 16Gb DDR3  |  Graphic Card: Asus GTX 660 DirectCU II OC

Person264

• Forum member
« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2009, 19:49:34 »

I doubt man will ever have the power to destroy the earth, we can disrupt the climate so that it will become difficult for life to thrive/survive but once we are gone I'm sure the earth will fix itself again. We are using up it's natural resources, but they aren't leaving the earth (except of course the stuff in space) so as long as we don't destroy every single photosynthesising thing on the planet it will all go back into the earth. 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 19:52:07 by Person264 »

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2009, 19:52:49 »

I wouldn't say fix itself, but other life forms may be able to inhabit it, after we're gone, for some million years.

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

Person264

• Forum member
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2009, 19:55:13 »

Yeh that's sorta what I meant, we can't completely ruin the earth so nothing can survive.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2009, 19:56:29 »

If you look at what the planet has gone through since it was formed, then mankind's inpact on the planet is really just a joke.

We will not destroy the planet. But eventually we wil destroy ourselves though. And in the proces, a lot of other species.

But the Earth will not care much, she'll be spinning on and on.. untill hit by something big enough to be destroyed, or when the sun goes supernova, etc...

The planet will be fine for ages and ages to come.. we'll just not be there with it to enjoy it.  ;D

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2009, 20:20:39 »

Here's an idea for a film: A very large asteroid (moon size) passes Earth by 10.000 km..
The gravitational effect is like a whip on a spinning toll..Result: the Earth's rotation increases ..
A full day is now 15 hours..Howling winds of more than 300 kph constantly roar all over the planet, the oceans rise several metres ..
Air traffic is impossible, as is sea-travel and driving on the roads..
Would be a great movie.. :)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 21:33:48 by saltydog »

firestar12

« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2009, 20:23:15 »

Here's an idea for a film: A very large asteroid passes Earth by 10.000 km..The gravitational effect is the same as a whip on a spinning toll..Result: the Earths rotation accelerates ..A full day is now 15 hours..There are  howling winds of more than 300 kph all over the planet, the oceans rise several metres ..Air traffic is impossible, as is sea-travel and driving on the roads..
Would be a great movie.. :)
Sure, just ask my sister Crystal, and that just might happen!

Person264

• Forum member
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2009, 20:35:36 »

it would have to be a very large asteroid, maybe the size of Neptune (I dunno) and gravity would have to work very different, but I'd watch it! When's it coming out?  ;D

MrFlappy102

• Forum member
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2009, 02:28:14 »

The world ending on that exact date is about as likely as aliens eating my head... NOW! Well my heads still firmly attached to my neck, I guess that answers that question. Looks like the conspiricy theorists got us again fellas.  ::)

TerryRussell

« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2009, 09:16:01 »

The world ending on that exact date is about as likely as aliens eating my head... NOW!

Hmmm.... Well, lunch was good.

BURP!

kuusuru

• Forum member
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2009, 09:53:31 »

Hmmm.... Well, lunch was good.

BURP!

You know what they say... you are what you eat  ;D ;D ;D

ArmyBoatie

• Forum member