Hello Guest September 29, 2024, 06:18:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Linux crash  (Read 2155 times)

v.h94

• Beta Tester
Linux crash
« on: February 26, 2009, 15:44:54 »

Hi i'm good at computers usually, but i'm to lasy at the moment to try to find the problem with my linux. I run both XP and linux (ubuntu 6.?????) in my comp and my linux has crased and i can't get it to work just some alternatives such as reebot. I'm pretty new to linux and i understand the basic but now everything. :-\

Please help me if someone can. ;D                                         v.h94

TerryRussell

Re: Linux crash
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 19:47:14 »

i'm to lasy at the moment to try to find the problem with my linux

I think you may not find many people who want to do something that you're too lazy to do.  ;D

I know I can't be bothered, either.  :lol:

v.h94

• Beta Tester
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 19:57:45 »

Maby i said it in a wrong way i mean I'm to lazy to know what i sould google for i never have had this kind of trubbel ;D ???
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 19:59:58 by v.h94 »

Person264

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 20:05:12 »

I don't think you rephrased that very well...

v.h94

• Beta Tester
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 20:33:47 »

I'm sorry :-\

kuusuru

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 20:59:57 »

It would help if you could provide more information, and Ubuntu 6 is quite old, you should think about upgrading to 8.10.  Why don't you download the 8.10 live CD - if you can no longer boot Linux it will at least allow you to recover any data you have in your Linux partitions, it will let you test 8.10 on your hardware, and you can install from it (which is probably the best way to repair your old Linux partition, so everything is up to date).

Person264

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 21:10:22 »

Can I ask, I know nothing about Linux so forgive me for my ignorance, but what is the benefit of Linux over windows? The only thing I know about Linux is that it doesn't do games well.

kuusuru

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 21:50:29 »

Can I ask, I know nothing about Linux so forgive me for my ignorance, but what is the benefit of Linux over windows? The only thing I know about Linux is that it doesn't do games well.

For me personally:

• Comes with full development toolchain across multiple languages
  • Best way to do cross-platform development
  • Most hardware works out of the box, no messing around with manufacturer device drivers (which these days are normally buggy, bloated, and want you to install lots of additional crap).  The sort of hardware I need to work are various USB dongles, HSDPA wireless etc
  • Malware is a business these days, and there's many more Windows machines than Linux, so that's what the bad guys target.  My kids can only access the Internet from a Linux desktop, and I no longer have to rebuild their laptops every few weeks
  • Great platform for virtualisation
  • Great platform for Qt and OpenGL programming
  • A lot of the software I need to do my job is developed on Linux, so it runs best on Linux
  • Vista x64 takes 20 minutes to boot and stop thrashing the disk long enough to become usable on my main notebook; Ubuntu takes less than 2.

What are benefits for me might not necessarily be benefits for you  ;D.  It may be possible to run ShipSim on Linux in Wine, but in my dictionary that's the definition of "pointless"  ;)  (actually, ShipSim is the only reason I have to boot to Vista at all these days).

v.h94

• Beta Tester
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 21:55:16 »

Ok i think i wrote the wrong number i got it a half year ago. I'm realy sorry and i have an backup on my computer when linux work but then i lose all ShipSim data again :( I have XP and thats the same reason as you ''kuusuru''

kuusuru

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 22:11:14 »

Ok i think i wrote the wrong number i got it a half year ago. I'm realy sorry and i have an backup on my computer when linux work but then i lose all ShipSim data again :( I have XP and thats the same reason as you ''kuusuru''

Before you do anything, make sure you have a backup of everything, especially your precious ShipSim data  :)

Do you have XP and Linux installed on the same computer?

Do you know what I mean by "disk partitions", and if so can you describe the partition layout?

The best and easiest way for XP and Ubuntu to live together is to install XP first into a single primary partition which is big enough for XP, but leaves enough room for Ubuntu; then install Ubuntu.  It will detect XP, and will set the boot loader up so you can choose Linux or XP each time you boot.  Do you understand what I mean, and is this how you did it before?

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 22:44:11 »

Hi i'm good at computers usually, but i'm to lasy

This is where i stopped reading your post. 
It's the crew that makes the difference

v.h94

• Beta Tester
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 15:08:04 »

This is where i stopped reading your post. 

Maby i should delete it  ::) And again i'm sorry for the words i used  :-[

v.h94

• Beta Tester
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 15:10:19 »

Before you do anything, make sure you have a backup of everything, especially your precious ShipSim data  :)

Do you have XP and Linux installed on the same computer?

Do you know what I mean by "disk partitions", and if so can you describe the partition layout?

The best and easiest way for XP and Ubuntu to live together is to install XP first into a single primary partition which is big enough for XP, but leaves enough room for Ubuntu; then install Ubuntu.  It will detect XP, and will set the boot loader up so you can choose Linux or XP each time you boot.  Do you understand what I mean, and is this how you did it before?

I have an backup on my computer so i can use that instead of reinstaling everything. (norton ghost)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines