Hello Guest September 21, 2024, 01:04:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Do you like it?

Love it
- 2 (8.3%)
Like it
- 2 (8.3%)
Neither like nore dislike
- 10 (41.7%)
Disklike
- 5 (20.8%)
Absolutley Dislike
- 5 (20.8%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quest Viewer  (Read 1811 times)

firestar12

Quest Viewer
« on: February 21, 2009, 19:46:03 »

I personally, quest viewer. Even though it crashes a lot (Its my PC's fault anyway) But it can do a lot o cool things witch is why I like it.

Drakko

• Forum member
Re: Quest Viewer
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 20:20:13 »

it crashes a lot

Sam

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 20:44:12 »

What are those cool things you can do with it?

firestar12

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 20:50:26 »

I didn't say things you can use but Quest Viewer can support a ton of polys compared to other game engines (Like the VS one). Just look at Titanic for example! A lot of engines cant support that.

[SJ]Stein

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 10:14:52 »

I've never had much trouble with other game engines which didn't get fixed (think GTA IV, which was actually probably my only problem in the last couple of years)

questviewer seems to dislike everything from graphicsettings to proximity to missionlocations (next waypoints) and thumps into other ships (singleplayer with the jetski and other vessils which should result in about 3-4 % damage but just crashes my game..silly)... even had the thing "crash on me" whilst simply exiting the program. Reinstalled about 5 times total, last two times using Terry's flowchart, still encounter crashes...  there's only as much you can do to maintain a stable system, and i cant say that i've tried "everything" as i'm either not capable of it, or simply dont feel the need for it. As for questviewer beeing the most stable program out there for the most common computer... i'd say.. nope!

So.. for amatuer scientific research i used google.. and simply google'd :

"Questviewer Problem"

and

"Questviewer solution"

now i might not be the best in finding catchphrases for google.. but these two different words found different results...

and not really in it's advantage.   Damaged amongst the scale of 3:1

But i guess that's normal for every problem in any engine as i've never researched them for it either.
(just guessing that most researchers dont either, as the results of most investigations i hear of are not really bipartial anyways, so in that respect i think i did it right)

Regards,

Steiny

Edit:   Best of luck on your quest,        viewer.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 10:17:52 by [SJ]Stein »

mvsmith

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 00:05:32 »

It has been explained many times that most so-called QuestViewer problems are not problems with QV, but with the external routines that are called by QV between frames. When those routines fail, QV aborts and reports the name of the routine that failed.
This is a simple, basic concept; it is surprising how few people seem to be able to understand it.

zilverenmist

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 03:37:39 »

Now that it is mentioned, under XP it crashed a lot, under Vista it has not crashed at all.
Next thing is that I never had a good video card on my XP machines and I do have that now on my Vista machine.
I conclude that or poor videocards and poor server protection in XP might be the problem.
I even had crashes from quest viewer with ss2006 and a good videocard and XP.
So far I never had a crash with ss2008 on Vista.

firestar12

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 15:27:49 »

Now that it is mentioned, under XP it crashed a lot, under Vista it has not crashed at all.
Next thing is that I never had a good video card on my XP machines and I do have that now on my Vista machine.
I conclude that or poor videocards and poor server protection in XP might be the problem.
lol I have Vista but it crashes a lot. Maybe it has something to do with my system. (Rhetorical question, I know my system sucks.) Processor is like 1.6 GHz, I have enough RAM, lol. My graphics card is terrible. I am saving up for a new system.

TJK

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 16:28:30 »

lol I have Vista but it crashes a lot. Maybe it has something to do with my system. (Rhetorical question, I know my system sucks.) Processor is like 1.6 GHz, I have enough RAM, lol. My graphics card is terrible. I am saving up for a new system.

I also haw vista ultimate 64bit quad CPU 3.2ghz i think and 8 GB ram, video card geforse 9600 gt 512 mem, pcu 1200 mhz so my pc shod haw enough power to run the game with out crash, but it do from time to time., so if qv has decided to crash you pc it does even how powerful pc you haw  ???
TJK

[SJ]Stein

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 17:47:36 »

Grinn.. as i read this this morning before work it sort of made sence, but now that others have stepped onto the boat, that theory is also myffed... guess you just got to be lucky with the installation and the hardware you have put together for it to either work perfect or work flawed.. or not work at all.
I just love the program, but it's such a big anoyance when it crashes again that i hardly start it up as of late and consider it .. well.. history on this system. And the theory that between the frames Questviewer is working on other things is ... well.. kinda obvious, it has to handle physics and other backgroundstuff as well now doesn't it!?    Cant help it, i just gave up on it beeing perfect...  by the time SS2025 comes out, we'll have other things to question the makers about... theyre trying hard, and we're tiring to them either way they put it. As long as the majority is happy.. isn't it?    (i think Atari/Eden with TDU made a much bigger fault in theyre production... also because the fanbase is quite a bit larger.. it was rushed into production, which doesn't make it a quality product at the first go... anyways.. enough muttering from me.. ill leave you boys to it now... best of luck!)

Regards,

Steiny

CaptainMike1

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 18:18:48 »

I personally, quest viewer. Even though it crashes a lot (Its my PC's fault anyway) But it can do a lot o cool things witch is why I like it.

What was the point of this post? Or have I missed something?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines