Hello Guest March 29, 2024, 10:58:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Furie engine sounds, I wona hear them!  (Read 5305 times)

3 Digit Pilot

• Forum member
Furie engine sounds, I wona hear them!
« on: February 18, 2009, 19:05:48 »

Greetings all. Ive been using the steamtugboat Furie alot at the moment, great i must say. But id love to be able to hear the engine sounds when im in an external view(eg 1). I know i can zoom in to hear that lovely steaming but is there any way i could hear these sounds when zoomed out a bit so the whole vessel is in view. Basicly like all the other ships. Zooming right in to hear the engine working while towing ships is'nt ideal ;D.Im guessing i would have to edit a file in it's folder but i havent looked yet as i recon they are proberbly encrypted. :(. Thanks for reading.

firestar12

Re: Furie engine sounds, I wona hear them!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 01:37:38 »

As far as I am aware of, this is not possible.

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 12:57:31 »

An old steam engined tug like "Furie" is almost silent. Marine steam engines do not go "Chuff, chuff" like a railway engine. The steam re-circulates and is condensed back into water for re-use.
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

3 Digit Pilot

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 21:36:06 »

Ok thanks all for replies. I know a steam tug is pretty quite from watching various videos, but i just love how that engine sounds. O well never mind, i guess i can just zoom in when im towing and every thing seems under control while she's wide open ;D. Thanks again :thumbs:

firestar12

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 21:33:37 »

Yup. Furie is a wonderful tug. She is a very nice ship to sail. Fun in the 4 m waves. ;D

Master Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 05:40:39 »

yea 90% of marine steam engines are whats called "Triple expansion steam engines" meaning the steam enters 3 different pressure levels each progressivly lower then whats left goes to the condensor to be turned back into water. The only marine steam i know of that is not a triple expansion is a Clyde Puffer ;)

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 06:15:44 »

Even Titanic had a pair of 4 cylinder, 4 crank, triple expansion reciprocating steam engines ;D
They were each 4 stories tall and weighed 1,000 tons :o
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 10:38:29 by RMS Gigantic »

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 10:07:09 »

yea 90% of marine steam engines are whats called "Triple expansion steam engines" meaning the steam enters 3 different pressure levels each progressivly lower then whats left goes to the condensor to be turned back into water. The only marine steam i know of that is not a triple expansion is a Clyde Puffer ;)

The puffers developed from the gabbert, small single masted sailing barges which took most of the coasting trade. The original puffer was the Thomas, an iron canal boat of 1856, less than 66 ft (20 m) long to fit in the Forth and Clyde Canal locks, powered by a simple steam engine without a condenser, since as it drew fresh water from the canal there was no need to economise on water use. Once steam had been used by the engine, it was simply exhausted up the funnel in a series of puffs as the piston stroked. As well as the visual sight of a series of steam puffs following the boat, the simple engines made a characteristic puffing sound.

By the 1870s similar boats were being adapted for use beyond the canal and fitted with condensers so that they no longer puffed, but the name stuck. Some non-condensing puffers (included those with compound engines) were built until the 1920s when purely-canal traffic decreased and the vast majority of coasters had to operate in sea water.

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 11:59:32 »

Surely a four cylinder steam engine is a quadruple expansion engine RMS G.

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 12:52:49 »

Nope. It was always put down as four cylinder, triple expansion.

I figured they were two different things.

mvsmith

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 13:10:49 »

The third—low pressure—stage had two cylinders to avoid the width required for a single cylinder of the right diameter.

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 15:52:03 »

It's easy to see where my experience lies. :P Engine rooms are dirty noisy places to me, give me the bridge and fresh air any time. Though looking at many modern ships, even the bridge is totally enclosed, yuk :'(.

firestar12

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 15:54:17 »

It's easy to see where my experience lies. :P Engine rooms are dirty noisy places to me, give me the bridge and fresh air any time. Though looking at many modern ships, even the bridge is totally enclosed, yuk :'(.
Don't worry. That style will come back. Before you know it, we will be seeing bows that are strait like an Edwardian bow, but have bulbs on them!

TerryRussell

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 16:30:05 »

Don't worry. That style will come back. Before you know it, we will be seeing bows that are strait like an Edwardian bow, but have bulbs on them!

You know that? Wow!

Which Ship's Design college do you/did you attend?

firestar12

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2009, 16:31:56 »

You know that? Wow!

Which Ship's Design college do you/did you attend?
It was just an idea ::)

TerryRussell

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2009, 21:51:55 »

I know...  :evil:  :evil:  ;D  :evil:
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines