Hello Guest March 29, 2024, 00:05:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Never Forget  (Read 4208 times)

Aad The Pirate

• Forum member
Never Forget
« on: February 08, 2009, 20:12:20 »

Ahoy Ship(sim)mates,
Not sure if this is the good spot to place this post, but I take my chance:
I recieved those pictures together wit the text from a Canadian relative from NineEleven this afternoon.
Have a look at the pic's in the attachement.

USS New York
She was built with 24 tons of scrap steel from the World Trade Center .

She is the fifth in a new class of warships - designed for missions that include special operations against terrorists. She will carry a crew of 360 sailors and 700 combat-ready Marines to be delivered ashore by helicopters and assault craft. Steel from the  World Trade Center was melted down in a foundry in  Amite, LA to cast the ship's bow section. When it was poured into the molds on Sept 9, 2003, 'those big rough steelworkers treated it with total reverence,' recalled Navy Capt. Kevin Wensing, who was there. 'It was a spiritual moment for everybody there.

Junior Chavers, foundry operations manager, said that when the World Trade Center steel first arrived, he touched it with his hand and the 'hair on my neck stood up.' 'It had a big meaning to it for all of us,' he said. 'They knocked us down. They can't keep us down. We're going to be back.
The ship's motto? 'Never Forget'
Feel free to have a look @: http://members.chello.nl/a.vermeulen14/

Minime

• Forum member
Re: Never Forget
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 20:15:04 »

If the enemy don't spot the ship, they definently would spot the flag

thanks to Tore/TJK for this awesome sig

firestar12

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 01:07:33 »

The ship looks very...ghostlike.

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 09:43:45 »

I love this ship, extremely modern and it should be easy to make in 3D too :)

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 18:39:32 »

Nice ship indeed.. And I am all for the 'never forget' part, in honor of the innocent victims of 9-11.

But somehow, using steel from a building that was brought done partly because the people that did it hate America's 'big brother' like, military attitude towards some parts of the world, and making a WARship out of it, specially one designed to attack that foreign soil, could not have a really good effect "over there". It might make her a target.. and then what? The same steel hit twice? That couldn't be good for future developments...  :-\

Dubious... I can't say I think it's a smart move, and I think honor is not in steel or material.. But hey, that's just me.. 

As a ship, I like her looks, and yeah, she should be easy to model, JHB.. Is that a hint? When are you starting?    ;)  :D

Fred

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 09:49:34 »

Nice ship indeed.. And I am all for the 'never forget' part, in honor of the innocent victims of 9-11.

But somehow, using steel from a building that was brought done partly because the people that did it hate America's 'big brother' like, military attitude towards some parts of the world, and making a WARship out of it, specially one designed to attack that foreign soil, could not have a really good effect "over there". It might make her a target.. and then what? The same steel hit twice? That couldn't be good for future developments...  :-\

Dubious... I can't say I think it's a smart move, and I think honor is not in steel or material.. But hey, that's just me.. 

As a ship, I like her looks, and yeah, she should be easy to model, JHB.. Is that a hint? When are you starting?    ;)  :D

Fred

Next thing you will hear is that the USS New Yorker is being built from the steel of the USS New York that was built from the steel of the WTC. If what you said is true. :D

firestar12

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 21:40:42 »

Next thing you will hear is that the USS New Yorker is being built from the steel of the USS New York that was built from the steel of the WTC. If what you said is true. :D
Eventually they would probably stop the cycle. Then you will have ships made out of each other and it would be though to keep track of.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines