Hello Guest September 08, 2024, 02:05:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Skipper needs help  (Read 2671 times)

Azipod

• Forum member
New Skipper needs help
« on: January 23, 2009, 07:13:41 »

Hi, I'm new to Ship Simulator and have a few questions.

1)  On the Ocean-Star, can you steer the ship if the engine is at 0 RPM?  For example, if the engine is at idle and I am coasting, I cannot seem to steer the ship regardless what angle the azipod thrusters are set at.  The only way I can steer the ship is to turn the thrusters and apply engine RPM.  Is this normal? 

2)  Sometimes in Walk-Through mode, I suddenly fall overboard and into the water.   How did I fall over and is there any way to get back on?

3)  Once the ship receives damage, is there anyway to repair it without restarting the session?

4)  When I steer the Ocean-Star, the ship likes to list to one side.  Normal ?

THANK YOU!!!!

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
Re: New Skipper needs help
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 07:26:14 »

Hi Azipod, and welcome to the forum!!

1) You'll need power to steer her. I'm sure in real life the pods will give some rate of turning, like a rudder, under an angle, but not in the game as far as I know... and although I'm no expert, I think even in real life, this is pretty minimal.

2) a little bug in the collision model (bounding edges in walkthrough), you cannot get back on, unfortunatly.

3) Nope, there is not. Damage stays all through the mission.

4) Depends, if you steer it violently, it will list.. so for the comfort of the passengers, it's best to take it easy.  :)

Regards,
Fred

P.S. moved to General Discussions, the main SS08 board is only for demo related content.

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 07:31:56 »

Hi Azipod, and welcome to the forum!!

1) You'll need power to steer her. I'm sure in real life the pods will give some rate of turning, like a rudder, under an angle, but not in the game as far as I know... and although I'm no expert, I think even in real life, this is pretty minimal.

2) a little bug in the collision model (bounding edges in walkthrough), you cannot get back on, unfortunatly.

3) Nope, there is not. Damage stays all through the mission.

4) Depends, if you steer it violently, it will list.. so for the comfort of the passengers, it's best to take it easy.  :)

Regards,
Fred

P.S. moved to General Discussions, the main SS08 board is only for demo related content.

Fred you can get back on after falling overboard, I forget the button but it is the reset camera button in the task bar thing.

Edit: I think the button is "0" (not numpad)

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 07:42:03 »

I'd have to try that.. cheers!

I've fallen aboard a number of times and tried alot.. but not that..   ;D

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 07:49:45 »

On the camera tab it is the little arrow thing.

Edit: just checked for ya. It is "0" and this is what the icon looks like:

Edit: you have to be in the view you want to reset before you reset, so just go into walk around when your in the ocean then press that or "0"
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 07:54:35 by Agent|Austin »

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 08:24:49 »

Thanks Austin!

Next time I fall into the water.. which doesn't happen often, since I'm not much of a walkaround guy unless it's needed for docking etc..  I'll know what to do!!

I never before used the icons for camera changing though to be honest..  :)

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 08:27:37 »

Thanks Austin!

Next time I fall into the water.. which doesn't happen often, since I'm not much of a walkaround guy unless it's needed for docking etc..  I'll know what to do!!

I never before used the icons for camera changing though to be honest..  :)

Neither do I but I was fiddling around once and hit 0...

Btw welcome to the forum, Azipod.

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 08:34:53 »

Hi Azipod ;D

Welcome to the forum :)

As Fred said, with any vessel, if you decrease the throttle, the responce will decrease with it, since the propellor(s)/pods are not giving any thrust to turn you on the angle that your Pod/Rudder is facing.

Its like on an outboard engine, e.g. on our little fishing boat, if you throttle off, it is very hard to steer since there is nothing for the water to "Grab", since there is no thrust.

But oddly enough, this sometimes does fluctuate with different vessels, for example. our Colvic Watson cruiser will pretty much turn on her own length (She was built in the 80's-Sabb Inboard diseal), and even with throttle off, she responds very well (Because she has a rudder to turn her, unlike an outboard-that also add's to the steering), but of course, eventually, when you start to drift on the tide, you won't really get any sort of responce. (I'm talking about real life there :D-Pretty much the same in the Simulator :))

Hope that helps on that one!

Jack :)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 08:36:35 by IRI5HJ4CK »
Kind Regards,
Jack.

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 08:37:00 »

To expand on Jack's theory, Jet Propulsion vessels will have much less response at 0 throttle then a Prop & Rudder. This isn't calculated in the game though.

mvsmith

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 08:43:46 »

Hi Azipod, and welcome to the forum.
The azimuth drives on Ocean Star are not necessarily Azipods. They do not have the shape that produces a rudder action with no thrust.

Ships heel in turns, rather than list. It is a product of centrifugal force and hydrodynamic forces on the hull. It is similar to the leaning of an automobile in a high-speed turn.
Regards,
Marty

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 08:48:12 »

Yes, thats very true Austin, Jet propulsion is more for, bursts of power, rather than "Chugging along", a bit like when I watch the Radio Control speedboats going around the local lake, as soon as they throttle off, no steering what so ever, but if I put my tug into the water, or say, someone else puts their boat into the water, we will still get good steering, since I have a (What is equivilent to in real life) an inboard engine, with quite a large rudder, to grab the water with :)

This is my tug if your interested!

Oh and, this is her rudder (what I mentioned above)

Jack ;)

Kind Regards,
Jack.

Azipod

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 06:56:15 »

Thanks for the reply everyone!!!

fishlikelong

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2009, 21:00:09 »

That is a very nice tug you have there IRI5HJ4CK

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2009, 21:03:51 »

Hoy,
That's a very nice model.
I like it !!
Marc
N

maffers

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 08:51:53 »

Thats a really nice tug IRI5HJ4CK

Matt
Matt

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009, 09:50:08 »

Thanks for the nice comments guys hehe, although, she comes with quite a lot of maintainence :lol:

But its certainly worth it :)

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines