Hello Guest March 29, 2024, 06:20:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Titanic Flag  (Read 25187 times)

firestar12

Re: Titanic Flag
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2009, 21:11:00 »

Hi Isrra and welcome to the forum, what do you mean by that?

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2009, 16:40:30 »

Hiya :)

If I remember correctly, the flag wasn't on it in SS06. ;)

Correct me if I'm wrong though. :)

sadsid († 2016)

• IN MEMORIAM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2009, 17:08:00 »

Taken from 2006 no flag  ;D

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2009, 06:57:05 »

Why DID they get rid of that telegraph control and replace it with a modern ship engine control? ???

firestar12

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2009, 16:08:37 »

I think some people may have gotten confused.

Nathan|C

« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2009, 17:09:36 »

Elbe has it, and so does Furie though  :-\

Maybe it's just another error, but it would be nice to have the controls when you press "C". (Like in 2006)

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2009, 19:49:52 »

Maybe it's just another error, but it would be nice to have the controls when you press "C". (Like in 2006)

That's still in SS08, press C and your controls pop up, and visa versa. Though it won't work if you've pressed TAB to hide your info display.

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

jcm2573

• Forum member
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2009, 06:43:18 »

Online Seasickness? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
that would be funny to sea get it, sea? :lol: :lol: :-\ :)
Hi, I'm Jcm2573. I usually play on the Solent servers of SS08. :captain:

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2009, 09:34:27 »

I doubt everyone would be laughing at online seasickness.

Computer messed up bits of vomit flying in all directions...:)

Agent|AustinBU

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2009, 09:58:02 »

that would be funny to sea get it, sea? :lol: :lol: :-\ :)

Actually it is quite possible. My aunt gets motion sick while watching me play driving games. I am sure she could get seasick watching ship simulator, or Deadliest Catch Alaskan Storm, since it has "SeaSick" mode, that you can turn off.

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2009, 12:08:50 »

My mum gets sick looking at the screen on Ship Sim when I'm ploughing through the waves in the Sherpa :lol:

She can't stand being on boats. She can't handle going up and down in a lift, never mind being in a force 8 gale :lol:

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

Jeff123

• Forum member
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2009, 02:42:47 »

I don't really like the flag on the SS08 model. Since it looks like it wasn't there in the original model, and was added in, like the interior of the titanic, the stairs, which I think could of been done a lot better with still staying within time, money, and effort. And if you walk up to the flag it just looks so, big and un-realistic. I don't know if it was on the real thing, was it?
Yes, on the original Titanic, (in real life), the flag was there but it was the Brittish flag.

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2009, 03:43:23 »

The Titanic never flew the British flag, just the blue ensign, the 46 star US flag, the French flag, and the WSL pennant.

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2009, 16:42:18 »

Purely as a matter of interest the blue ensign IS a British flag. :doh: Great Britain has 3 ensigns, the red, the white and the blue.  The red ensign is flown by Merchant ships of all sizes including small pleasure craft, the blue ensign is flown by merchant ships which have a proportion of their officers who are members of the Royal Naval Reserve, and the white ensign is flown by ships of the Royal Navy, any vessel belonging to HM the Queen and to yachts of the Royal Yacht Squadron.
So RMS G., try to get your facts right so as not to confuse others. The White Star line flag is known as the House flag, not the pennant. "Titanic" never flew the Stars and Stripes as she would only have flown it as a courtesy flag on Arrival in US waters. Likewise the French Tricolour. Courtesy flags are flown at the foremasthead, House flags at the mainmast head, and ensigns at the ensign staff at the stern. Many old ships had a gaff from where the ensign would be flown at sea, then moved to the ensign staff when moored or at anchor.

Angus.
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2009, 03:57:25 »

I was listing all flags she had flown from different locations. Even then, I forgot the pilot flag, signal flags, and so on.

I called it a pennant because it is the kind of flag that it is most commonly considered (though its sides split outwards). As for the ensign bit, I was saying the blue ensign was not a national flag, as I thought he was implying.

Also, is it just me, Traddles, or does it seem that every time we meet in a thread, the topic turns into a debate/discussion about flags?

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2009, 11:12:30 »

But the blue ensign IS a national flag. If it isn't, then what on earth is it. :doh: I just like things to be correct, I'm not trying to be awkward, just factual. Like so many other things nowadays, flag etiquette is rapidly fading into obscurity, although it is an important part of national heritage. Imagine how the US authorities would react if they found you flying the Stars and Stripes upside down. :o I think you will find that that is actually a Federal offence.
It is, I think, interesting to note that "Queen Mary 2" has only one mast, above her bridge. The mast has a gaff and port and starboard yard arms. On entering the River Mersey two days ago she was flying her red ensign from the gaff, her house flag from the starboard outer halyard and the code flag H, meaning she had a pilot on board, from the starboard inner halyard. Once she was moored at the terminal the ensign was transferred to the ensign staff at the stern. So even an ultra modern vessel still adheres to correct etiquette. I stress that this is purely a note of interest not a debate. :-*

Angus.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 12:16:41 by Traddles »

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2009, 13:21:24 »

It is not an offense to fly the US flag upside down, it is a signal of dire emergency, and risk of extreme damage to people or property.

Or maybe I'm not paraphrasing that correctly.

Here is what US flag code says:

The flag should never be dipped to any person or thing. It is flown upside down only as a distress signal.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 13:26:49 by RMS Gigantic »

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2009, 14:13:42 »

176. Respect for flag
No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.
X(a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property. X
(b) The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.
(c) The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.
(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker's desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.
(e) The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.
(f) The flag should never be used as a covering for a ceiling.
(g) The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.
(h) The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.
(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.
(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.
(k) The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2009, 20:19:24 »

Even then, there was never a flag desecration amendment passed to the Constitution, as many say it would violate the freedom of speech.

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2009, 10:13:29 »

I stand humbly corrected. :P Obviously I was under a misaprehension. However, I do remember as a young cadet aboard a ship in New Orleans, accidentally allowing the US courtesy flag to touch the deck as I was lowering it. :doh: I was reported to the authorities and had to make a written apology to avoid the ships master being fined. Possibly that is where I came to think it was an offence. Mind you, that was over 50 years ago, so things must have changed since then.

Angus. 

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2009, 13:11:20 »

I would imagine that it would be courtesy, maybe company policy.

mvsmith

« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2009, 16:42:34 »

I’ve never believed that respect is something that can be legislated. The feigning of respect, perhaps.

I do understand that, for many in the military and their families, our flag is their one symbol of sacrifice. It is the thing they turn to when they ask themselves “Why did/do we do this?”
We treat our flag with respect to honor those for whom it has that special meaning.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines