Hello Guest March 28, 2024, 12:42:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: New project. We need your help!!!!  (Read 70241 times)

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
New project. We need your help!!!!
« on: January 08, 2009, 16:13:17 »

Hi everyone,

Terry and myself, would like to ask you for help with a new project for Ship Simulator, that we have started on.

We intend to create additional content for the game. More precisely, we intend to make navigational aids for the game.

This means (mainly) Buoys, Cardinal Markers, Beacons, Lighthouses/ships/floats, Signs, other Navigational markers, Poles, and so on. We intend to make environment specific objects, to add to the ports in the simulator.

VSTEP has shown a keen interest in this project aswell, and this might end up being a part of future versions of the Simulator. That's what we are aiming for.

As many of our members are directly or indirectly involved with ships, sailing and so on, we figured many of you would have a lot of photographs and other images that might prove useful.
These can be of the specific objects as listed above, or perhaps you have ‘accidentally’ captured a buoy, for example, on a photo of a ship.

Our question is; Who among you have good source material for us to use? And would you be willing to share your photo’s or images with us? We would very much appreciate any input that you may have on this!!

In the long run, we will also be looking at expanding the team, to include more people who are able to model, texture or do research. For now though, we are not recruiting yet, we are in the first phase, setting up procedures and figuring out how to best go about it all.

So do you have any good pictures, on which any of the objects I listed, like buoys, markers, beacons, and so on, are clearly visible, then you can post them in this very topic. And feel free to add any information, if you have any, about any of the posted images.

But a few things we like to make clear;

- We do accept pictures that are not your own, but only if they are free for use, and if you get them from a website, please name the source website.
-If your picture is from a book or other publication, also please name the source
-The same goes for any other source, as long as it is not your own photo, please state where you go it from.

Then we also need to know, of course, where this object is located. It has to be in one of the ports that is in the simulator, OR has to be a generic one that is also used in them.  Please state in which environment it goes.

Also, we really need to know which buoy/object it is.  Just a list of nameless images would not be much use to us, as you may understand. If you can, try to be as specific as possible about the identity and location of the object.

- Does it have a name? If so, what is it?
- Do you have any latitude/longitude information? If so, please do include that aswell!
- Can you specify the location with a description perhaps, for example; “300m south of 49th pier”.
- Do you have any information about lights? Do you know the flash sequence? If so, please tell us.
- If they have different lights in different quadrants, please also inform us about it.

And one more note;

Please try to keep this topic as clean as possible. We want to focus on gathering source material to work from. So post images and information about the objects in those images you might have, but try to avoind random conversation. So if we could stick to that in this topic, and if you could send us any other thoughts, idea's, input or offers of help, in a PM, that would be very much appreciated!! (irrelevant posts may be deleted to keep the topic tidy.)

We’d like to thank you for reading, and also thank you very much in advance, for your input!!

Kind Regards,
Fred & Terry
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 18:13:34 by Mad_Fred »

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
Re: New project. We need your help!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 16:41:14 »

Hi Fred/Terry,

Maybe I'm jumping the gun a little here, but once you have some resources together, I'd be more than happy to model a few objects such as lighthouses and bouys.

Like I said, perhaps I'm jumping ahead a little, but the offer is certainly there should you need another hand  :)
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

Nathan|C

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 17:32:55 »

Hi Fred,

I caught a missing buoy in Rotterdam, near the gap in the Splitsingsdam in Rotterdam, Europoort:

You can just see it the the starboard side of the Container Vessel.

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 17:53:24 »

Hi Fred,

Just a question, I can quite easily take photo's of the buoys in Fleetwood on my next trip out. But, Are you only looking for buoys that are related to the current environments?

Also, I'd gladly help out with the modelling, once my skills are up to a good enough standard (In your mind)

Jack :)
Kind Regards,
Jack.

Nathan|C

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 17:58:26 »

Hi Fred,

Just a question, I can quite easily take photo's of the buoys in Fleetwood on my next trip out. But, Are you only looking for buoys that are related to the current environments?

Also, I'd gladly help out with the modelling, once my skills are up to a good enough standard (In your mind)

Jack :)

Hi Jack:

Then we also need to know, of course, where this object is located. It has to be in one of the ports that is in the simulator, OR has to be a generic one that is also used in them.  Please state in which environment it goes.

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 18:02:05 »

Hi Jack:

Ah, thanks Nathan, missed that, but, are they generally similar (the buoys) or, are they different in different parts of the world Fred?

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

J3nsen

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 18:06:14 »

Sketchup user, soo i can't  ;D

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 18:10:28 »

Yes you can, cause I am too, and I can..  ;)

And yes Jack, there will be a lot of generic ones, that are similar, but there are also many unique and verying ones of course.

But a request people..

We are not yet asking for modelers.. that is the next phase. We are currently in the process of gathering enough material to put modelers to work, so to speak. We allready have a nice library, but the more the merrier.

Some of you clearly have skills that will come in very handy, and you can expect our interest as a result, if you are interested. But for now I would like this topic to be as clear of random conversation as possible, and to focus on pictures and information.

If you are interested about helping out, you can drop me or Terry a PM. There is a certain level of ability needed of course.  ;)

We'll get into possible team expansion lateron, for now, please post any pictures with information.

Thanks very much for your input, once again!!!

Regards,
Fred

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 19:04:33 »

Just found this on google images. The associated website points the exact location of the buoy. Hopefully this proves helpful somewhere along the line :)

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/8798
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

TerryRussell

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 19:45:21 »

Excellent! Many thanks.

I think I already have that image (or perhaps another shot of it), but I had absolutely no idea where it was located. You've just added the missing bit of the jigsaw puzzle - thanks!

J3nsen

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 20:36:42 »

Just found this on google images. The associated website points the exact location of the buoy. Hopefully this proves helpful somewhere along the line :)

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/8798

Just the top, it some wrong parts... Have to fix...

Rendered in dark  ::)

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 20:45:31 »

Very nice indeed, J3nsen! ;D

But please don't use this topic for the actual modeling related stuff or showing off of stuff.. We'd like to keep it purely for the research part.

If you want to help us out, then we allready have the proper channels set up to handle the models and file traffic. Just get in touch with one of us, if needs be.

There'll be a time and place for showing off one's work too, I assure you.. hehe..  ;D

Cheers!!! (Thanks for the input btw, CS!!)

Fred

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 21:16:47 »

Yes you can, cause I am too, and I can..  ;)

And yes Jack, there will be a lot of generic ones, that are similar, but there are also many unique and verying ones of course.

But a request people..

We are not yet asking for modelers.. that is the next phase. We are currently in the process of gathering enough material to put modelers to work, so to speak. We allready have a nice library, but the more the merrier.

Some of you clearly have skills that will come in very handy, and you can expect our interest as a result, if you are interested. But for now I would like this topic to be as clear of random conversation as possible, and to focus on pictures and information.

If you are interested about helping out, you can drop me or Terry a PM. There is a certain level of ability needed of course.  ;)

We'll get into possible team expansion lateron, for now, please post any pictures with information.

Thanks very much for your input, once again!!!

Regards,
Fred

Hi Fred!

Thanks for your answer, I'll get out there on the boat and get some picture's here for you. If they aren't the particular buoys you are looking for, thats fine ;)

Jack
p.s. thanks for letting us know where we stand as regards to modelling, I'd gladly help with the modelling/info collection, but, I still have a way to go to getting really good modelling skills. But I'm practicing (Like you said :D-almost finished another project, in non SS Projects :)).
Kind Regards,
Jack.

eggy1991

• Beta Tester
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 22:38:52 »

Hope you can do something with this :P

Gr,
eggy1991
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 15:21:13 by eggy1991 »
15-5-2011 21:04 - PSN Back online. Congratulations Sony Computer Entertainment !

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 22:39:56 »

There are different buoyages systems, IALA A, IALA B and SIGNI. That last one is in use on the European inland waterways. IALA A and B can be found all over the world, so that's the one we have to focus on. IALA B is used in America and Japan. The IALA A system is used in the rest of the world. At the IALA A system the direction of the buoys is from sea to the harbour, at IALA B it's the opposite.

Within the IALA system, there are lateral buoys and cardinal buoys. A lateral buoy show the side of the fairway. A cardinal buoy shows a reference point, e.g a wreck or a sandbank. At IALA A, the lateral buoys on the right side of the fairway are sharp and green, and on the leftside they are flat and red. Cardinal buoys are black and yellow

(picture found on the internet)
The topmark, colour and light character show on which side you have to pass.

It's the crew that makes the difference

TerryRussell

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2009, 22:55:01 »

Hi Eggy1991.

Great images.

Could you add some information to your post, per Fred's request above, please?

(1) Name of each bouy.
(2) location (GPS Lat/long etc) of each bouy.
(3), environment of each bouy - happy to receive images for buoys in environments not currently in ship simulator as Vstep are working on a number of new environments.
(2) Source of each image.

Thanks.

We need this information as I need to prioritise the creation of the 3d models for each buoy, one environment at a time.

Once the modellers have created the models, I have to

• add flashing light sequence and colors (e.g. LFL.R(Q)3.10s)
  • see if they have a radar reflection signature (many buoys relect radar signals and produce a morse code letter on the radar screen)
  • identify their orientation and precise location
  • place them in the game and check if everything works correctly

Hi Ballast.

I like the image. But then, I think it's the one I created some years ago for the Admiralty or Trinity House. (Can't recall which, as was some years ago).  ;D  :laugh:

Quaysider

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009, 22:55:26 »

Number 27 buoy, River Humber, just east of the Humber Bridge.

I must have loads of pics with buoys in them - but none of them have been scanned as yet!!

TerryRussell

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2009, 22:57:06 »

Excellent! Many thanks.

Quaysider

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2009, 22:59:24 »

I can use this thread as an excuse to go to the river now when it's not tide time!!

TerryRussell

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2009, 23:05:28 »

Currently, if anyone has any of the following, it would be very useful:

Rotterdam - any buoys, beacons etc, except
AL WIT-ROOD
AL WIT-GROEN
EB-A
EB-B
EB-C
EB-D
NW1
NW2
NW3
NW4
Although I intend to take a watertaxi for a day or two soon and photograph a load of others!

Solent - None needed, thanks. Collection is complete.

Padstow. I only have
BAR
GREENAWAY
So any shots of the others will be most welcome. Especially the light on the eastern side of the entrance.

New York - ANY, PLEASE!

SAN FRANCISCO - ANY, PLEASE!

But please, please let know the location and any other identifying information. Thanks!  ;D
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 23:07:43 by TerryRussell »

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2009, 11:42:35 »

I have some from Dover and Dunkerque, don't know is they would be useful?

The Ferry Man

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2009, 11:43:52 »

You keep suprising me Terry  ;D I had to draw them alot during navigation classes.

This is the mid fairway buoy in the Botlek, i made the picture myself. The position according to Google earth would be 51° 53' 33" N 004° 18' 26" E. But then again, i don't know how accurate GE is.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 12:11:56 by Ballast »
It's the crew that makes the difference

TerryRussell

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2009, 20:06:31 »

Thanks Ballast!

Image & location = a winner!  ;D

Nathan|C

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2009, 20:09:27 »

Hi Terry,

Do you need the co-ordinates of the buoy in my picture or is the location familiar to you/Fred?

TerryRussell

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2009, 20:13:46 »

Hi Terry,

Do you need the co-ordinates of the buoy in my picture or is the location familiar to you/Fred?

Hi Nathan.

I can see exactly where that one is, so no need for any co-ordinates.

Ladies & Gentlemen, we have another winner!

Thanks.  ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines