Hello Guest October 06, 2024, 13:27:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Open world?  (Read 10252 times)

Nyrum1x3

• Forum member
Open world?
« on: January 06, 2009, 13:20:00 »

Don't know if this topic is similar to something else.
I don't wanna haul around the forums looking.
Back on topic:
I would love it if Ship Sim was open world, like Silent Hunter 3 (which i'm also playing).
No loading between areas, maybe some time speed stuff for voyages over the atlantic.
Would be more realistic in my opinion.

Discuss.

Ballast

• Global Moderator
Re: Open world?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 13:41:51 »

Time speed is certainly not realistic.

We already discussed open world many times on this forum. It would be too boring for most players. How long do you think it will take to sail from Rotterdam to New York with a vessel with an average service speed? There are already people complaining if they have to sail a few miles on the Atlantic Ocean envoirement, and screaming that they want auto pilot. It's really easy to say that their should be a time speed function to solve this problem, but what is then the purpose of an open world?
It's the crew that makes the difference

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 14:00:38 »

Time speed is certainly not realistic.

We already discussed open world many times on this forum. It would be too boring for most players. How long do you think it will take to sail from Rotterdam to New York with a vessel with an average service speed? There are already people complaining if they have to sail a few miles on the Atlantic Ocean envoirement, and screaming that they want auto pilot. It's really easy to say that their should be a time speed function to solve this problem, but what is then the purpose of an open world?

Simple, use the time slider when you want and when you don't want. None have to decide that for you.
I support this fully.. because I want to see one thing more than one thing less. Some may be interested in sailing full-time voyages and some not. So it's simple - include both functions: open world + time slider. :)
My music: www.jhbrende.com (http://www.jhbrende.com/)

TerryRussell

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 14:48:49 »

Hi Nyrum1x3.

This should be in Small Talk as it isn't about something that is in Ship Simulator. I'll move it for you.

Don't know if this topic is similar to something else.
I don't wanna haul around the forums looking.

Also, you really should check first. Not being bothered to do it isn't really good enough....

Please read the posting guidelines. See here:
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,11578.0.html

Ta!

Ncena1

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 15:02:13 »

if we get an open world we could go everywhere and that means that the whole words needs to be modellled at least with a land texture and that would create some laggs

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 15:03:55 »

No lags. It would give this game more attention and VSTEP more work (which is positive). :)
My music: www.jhbrende.com (http://www.jhbrende.com/)

Nyrum1x3

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 19:08:16 »

As far as i know, Microsofts Flight Simulator games is far bigger, well, with over 10 gb's required HD space for the newer games, it's no wonder it's bigger.
And as i haven't tried the full versions of any flight sims, i don't know what it is like.
And about that FSX has about 20.000 airports around the world, i highly doubt that, but what do i know?

If this is the case, then why not something similar to ship sim?
And yes, i know ports in SS looks different.

One last thing: The bigger, the better (for some things). ;)

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 19:56:41 »

Question, if someone went though an entire mission in 100x speed, and it took them 20 seconds, but everyone else didn't cheat and did it in real time and took them 20 minutes, who would be the fastest mission winner?

Kyle V

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 20:30:30 »

I fly a ton on Flight Simulator X. The networks are huge and we have up to 1,000 pilots flying at once with airports full controlled with Air Traffic Controllers. If Ship Sim was like that it would be amazing. In FSX there are Virtual Airlines... We could have Virtual Cruise Lines. That would be awesome. You could have hundreds of ships cruising the Caribbean and others crossing the pond to New York. It could really be something cool if you guys wanted it to be.

This is my first post on this website and im not sure if this has ever been brought up.  I search for Ship Simulator on google because I thought it sounded sweet. I didnt even know if there was such a thing. Now im kinda disappointed that you cant take ships anywhere in the world. I have over 2,000 hours of flight time in flight sim. We dont use the speed accel. because its not realistic at all. Every flight is in real time with real speed.

I wish Ship Sim was like this. Many more people would like it.

ash

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 20:41:12 »

there are lots of damn spin off "virtual cruise lines" that are a nuisense to be honest with so many somthing star line its really annoying!

there is also another topic on this: http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,12436.0.html
life is expensive but it includes a trip round the sun every year!

moderator on www.ssme.heavenforum.com/forum
join for free now!

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 20:45:17 »

Heya Kyle V :)

Welcome ot the forum!

Those lines are just forums, not ships with different liveries etc.

The current version is on the second version of Ship Sim, but if you look at the change from the original, its amazing :)

So in a few years perhaps it will be like FS :)

ash

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 20:47:30 »

yes but they still meet on MP somtimes and do weird stuff

join for free now!

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 20:48:28 »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Microsoft_Flight_Simulator

That might be a good review, see we are already doing better then Microsoft on their second flight sim. :)

ash

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 20:49:57 »

yes but those flight sims were a long long time ago they were still a big advancement from first to second but they didnt have the technologie

join for free now!

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 21:01:37 »

Just think, Microsoft has 20,000+ more employees then VSTEP, so we are doing pretty well... You can't compare the two. It is like comparing a 5 ton excavator to a 85 ton excavator... Of course the 85 ton is going to be able to do more.

Ncena1

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 21:07:04 »

but the 5 ton may be agiler  ;) nah i think this open world needs too much work. V-step should better improve the dynamics and create new ship instead of create an open world!

ash

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2009, 21:08:19 »

i didnt say that microsoft was doing better that vstep im saying they are about the same just microsoft didnt have the technologie to advance as quick.

nah i think this open world needs too much work. V-step should better improve the dynamics and create new ship instead of create an open world!

agreed all in favour say aye!

join for free now!

Nyrum1x3

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2009, 21:11:58 »

but the 5 ton may be agiler  ;) nah i think this open world needs too much work. V-step should better improve the dynamics and create new ship instead of create an open world!

Higher waves would be great.
4 meter waves may be extreme for jetskiis and speedboats.
But when it comes to tankers, cruise liners, container ships, everything above 100 feet.
Nah, if this sim is supposed to be about navigation, there should atleast be in extreme conditions for all ships.

And as for land envinronment, only coast land is needed if there was open world SS.

ash

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2009, 22:20:18 »

one hundred feet?!?!?!?!

join for free now!

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 22:33:40 »

Higher waves would be great.
4 meter waves may be extreme for jetskiis and speedboats.
But when it comes to tankers, cruise liners, container ships, everything above 100 feet.
Nah, if this sim is supposed to be about navigation, there should atleast be in extreme conditions for all ships.

And as for land envinronment, only coast land is needed if there was open world SS.

May be interested to learn that in the newsletter ss2010 will include extreme waves and such. :) (Tsunamis)

ash

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2009, 22:36:16 »

just going back to FS for a moment has anybody here actually had all the world graphics settings to full?

join for free now!

Ancalagon

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2009, 22:45:24 »

May be interested to learn that in the newsletter ss2010 will include extreme waves and such. :) (Tsunamis)

i agrea more extreme waves like can destroys a ships:d
i'm sorry for bad english:)

Nyrum1x3

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2009, 00:39:06 »

one hundred feet?!?!?!?!

Even less, 90 feet is around 30 meters, and try one with 10 meter waves.

matsuman

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2009, 01:28:42 »

The way i see it, this is like the beginning of FS. Where there is a certain area that you can fly.
After few more fs versions, they have the entire world to fly on.
So by the time the developer get to the open World, it will be on Ship Simulator 2015.
We are going to end up buying bunch of these versions by the time we can actually sail the open ocean.

Kin M.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines