Hello Guest September 20, 2024, 01:50:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: real ships vs virtual ships  (Read 4470 times)

Drakko

• Forum member
real ships vs virtual ships
« on: January 05, 2009, 19:31:48 »

Hi everybody, i have noticed some that the ships in ship sim are not totally correct to the real ones example, pride of rotterdam have a red waterline but in the game the waterline is blue or the titanic rudder is smallest than the real and it is all black, i hope this errors are corrected for future ship sims

Nathan|C

Re: real ships vs virtual ships
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 19:33:05 »

Not everything can be there in the game unfortunately. Some Hull colours,  paint, life rings etc. are all excluded in the name of easier operating requirments  ;)

Nathan|C

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 19:48:04 »

I think that may just of been a modelling error that was never spotted, or never had time to be fixed...

mvsmith

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 20:14:52 »

To get back to the original question: I don’t think anyone ever noticed that. I’ve heard rumors that there have been a few posts to that effect, but it’s too much trouble to read all that stuff.
The waterline is wherever the surface of the water intersects the hull. How can it be red, blue, or any other color?

ash

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 20:55:17 »

you get a paint pot, brush and paint it!
life is expensive but it includes a trip round the sun every year!

moderator on www.ssme.heavenforum.com/forum
join for free now!

Person264

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 21:24:06 »

You'd need to be painting all the time what with waves splashing all over the hull all the time.

ash

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 22:19:07 »

you take the ship out of the water or dry dock it then paint it not paint it when it is in the water

join for free now!

mvsmith

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 22:25:57 »

you get a paint pot, brush and paint it!

There is a rather lengthy topic started by some who also didn’t know what the waterline was. It seems that it’s so much easier for one to just start a new topic on an old subject rather than check to see if it has already been discussed.

ash

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 22:34:24 »

i dont understand what you are getting at motor vessel smith?

join for free now!

MMMMMM

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 22:52:11 »

So I guess, that's why Titanic has a short rudder: one more meter in the rudder's height & the model won't fit under the SS requirements because of a large number of polys. 

Yha titanic already excludes the limit which is 150000 polys and its like 800000

TerryRussell

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 23:27:52 »

i dont understand what you are getting at motor vessel smith?

He's "getting at" the fact that using the search button would have revealed that this very discussion has been had previously. The subject of "waterline" has been explained in great detail.

But for those of you too technically challenged or just too lazy to search for yourselves, "waterline" is the where the surface of the water is, on the hull of the boat. It changes with loading, salinity, temperature and many other things, according to how high the vessel floats on the water.

This is being confused with the line at which the antifouling coat stops. That's where the blue or red coating on the bottom of the vessel stops.

It is not the "waterline" although people who don't know enough about ships sometimes mistakenly call it that, much to the dismay of more knowlegeable folk, such as mvsmith.

mvsmith

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 23:36:40 »

Yha titanic already excludes the limit which is 150000 polys and its like 800000

Perhaps that is how Titanic can run with that many polys—by “excluding” the limit!

ash

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 18:26:27 »

so who was that comment pointed to?

join for free now!

Nathan|C

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 18:27:06 »

so who was that comment pointed to?

Since he was quoting MMMMMM, i'm taking a wild guess that he was speaking to MMMMMM.

ash

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 18:28:02 »

on our boat we actually have a different coloured strip of paint on the waterline

He's "getting at" the fact that using the search button would have revealed that this very discussion has been had previously. The subject of "waterline" has been explained in great detail.

But for those of you too technically challenged or just too lazy to search for yourselves, "waterline" is the where the surface of the water is, on the hull of the boat. It changes with loading, salinity, temperature and many other things, according to how high the vessel floats on the water.

This is being confused with the line at which the antifouling coat stops. That's where the blue or red coating on the bottom of the vessel stops.

It is not the "waterline" although people who don't know enough about ships sometimes mistakenly call it that, much to the dismay of more knowlegeable folk, such as mvsmith.

he was quoting me nathan
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 18:30:14 by ash »

join for free now!

Nathan|C

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2009, 18:30:29 »

Then you should really explain which post you are talking about by using Quotes.

As your comment was directly after his, i thought you were refering to mvsmith.

ash

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2009, 18:32:38 »

i could have swore that, that post wasnt there

join for free now!

Sam

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2009, 19:00:47 »

on our boat we actually have a different coloured strip of paint on the waterline

Did you actually read what Terry Russel just said?

The waterline is where the water touches the hull, and its height on the hull depends of how much the ship is loaded.

ash

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2009, 21:27:54 »

yes but usually you can paint a different coloured line onto it so you know if you have a lot of water in the bilges and so on...

join for free now!

mvsmith

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2009, 23:44:20 »

This subject was beat to death back in October:

http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,10821.msg126975.html#msg126975

It is amusing how many people seem to believe that time began in some Big Bang when they joined the forum, and that nothing of interest was written before then.

ash

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2009, 18:15:36 »

what back in 2006? i have been here longer than you i just lurked in the dark corners of the forum

join for free now!

mvsmith

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2009, 18:43:39 »

what back in 2006? i have been here longer than you i just lurked in the dark corners of the forum

Hi Ash,
I was referring to the originator of this topic, and many other newcomers who don’t bother to see what has already been discussed.
I was not implying anything about where you might have been keeping your head.
Regards,
Marty

TerryRussell

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2009, 20:41:52 »

yes but usually you can paint a different coloured line onto it so you know if you have a lot of water in the bilges and so on...

Hi Ash.

That isn't the purpose of the two different colours. The bottom one is the antifouling coat. Now anti-fouling is expensive so no ship owner wants to cover areas on which barnacles and seaweed etc won't grow (the bits that never get wet). So the limit is a way above the "waterline".

But the ship will float deeper or less deeply according to the factors I mentioned above. So usually the top of the antifouling will be some way above the waterline. At maximum loading in low-salinity conditions in hot weather, the vessel will be quite far down in the water. The antifouling should still be above it.

But the important thing is that it is not an indicator of the vessel being loaded or overloaded. Mr Plimsoll had an invention for that... He took a stern line.

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2009, 20:48:53 »

Hi Ash.

That isn't the purpose of the two different colours. The bottom one is the antifouling coat. Now anti-fouling is expensive so no ship owner wants to cover areas on which barnacles and seaweed etc won't grow (the bits that never get wet). So the limit is a way above the "waterline".

But the ship will float deeper or less deeply according to the factors I mentioned above. So usually the top of the antifouling will be some way above the waterline. At maximum loading in low-salinity conditions in hot weather, the vessel will be quite far down in the water. The antifouling should still be above it.

But the important thing is that it is not an indicator of the vessel being loaded or overloaded. Mr Plimsoll had an invention for that... He took a stern line.

Mr Plimsoll invented the sign in the funnel.... right?  ;)
It's the crew that makes the difference

mvsmith

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2009, 20:59:55 »

Mr Plimsoll invented the sign in the funnel.... right?  ;)

Very true, initially. After a number of unfortunate incidents it was moved to a position on the hull.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines