Hello Guest October 06, 2024, 09:17:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Computer for the Game  (Read 2238 times)

Garth H

Best Computer for the Game
« on: January 02, 2009, 15:01:16 »

Good Day to you,

I have 2 computer which I can load SS2008 onto.  Can you please advise which will be the better computer and if any driver updates are required.  I have attached both DXDIAG files.

Thanks n Regards

Person264

• Forum member
Re: Best Computer for the Game
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 15:07:10 »

To be honest, neither of those computers have enough graphics memory to play ship simulator.

Nathan|C

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 15:10:37 »

At a glance, i think the 2nd one is the best, with the Nvidia 5600...but, better leave it to someone who knows what to look for  :P

Garth H

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 15:16:07 »

If I replace the Graphics card in the 2nd Computer, what would you recommend specs wise?

Nathan|C

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 15:22:31 »

Operating system: Windows 2000, XP or Vista
Processor: Pentium 4 2.4GHz or AMD equivalent
Memory: 1GB (Windows 2000/XP) or 2GB (Vista)
Graphics card: GeForce 5900 or ATI 9600 Pro / X600 (128MB)
Audio devices: Sound card
Input controller: Mouse with scroll wheel
Optional controllers: Joystick, Joypad or Steering wheel

If you have the above or higher, you should be able to run the game  ;)

Person264

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 15:28:11 »

I'd recommend a slightly more powerful graphics card than the recommended cos I had a Nvidia 6200 and it couldn't really cope at all, crashed all the time. I'm guessing your computer doesn't have PCI-Express so you're best bet is with a 7 series Nvidia card.

Nathan|C

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 15:30:36 »

I'd recommend a slightly more powerful graphics card than the recommended cos I had a Nvidia 6200 and it couldn't really cope at all, crashed all the time. I'm guessing your computer doesn't have PCI-Express so you're best bet is with a 7 series Nvidia card.

The crashing on the Nvidia 6-Series might not have been the card though, could be anything to do with Drivers/Memory etc. IRI5HJ4CK has a Nvidia GeForce 7??? and he can play in High Graphics, so that would be a good card to get. If you really can afford to spend loads on a graphics card, the 8600 or 9800 are absolutely amazing...just make sure you can fit them to your PC before you waste £100+ on them...

Master Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 15:35:07 »

yea a better graphics card on the second computer, and more ram wouldn't hurt either ;) if you do upgrade ram make sure you find what type your computer uses.

Multiplayer Ship Simmers Gaming Clan (http://www.mpssclan.co.uk/forum)  Sig By Agent|Austin

TerryRussell

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 00:06:30 »

Hi Garth H.

I've moved this thread to Small Talk, where it belongs. As this is the second post I've moved for you in the past few minutes, could I ask you to read the posting guidelines before you start any further topics?

Thanks.

The Posting Guidelines.  These will help you determine where to post about a specific subject -
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,11578.0.html

greenbriggs9

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 00:18:20 »

As long as it plays at 30 FPS, on your screens default reolution. You have cracked it  ;)

TerryRussell

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 00:29:29 »

As long as it plays at 30 FPS, on your screens default reolution. You have cracked it  ;)

Unfortunately that isn't correct.

The first PC will never run Ship Simulator.

(a) The graphics chip cannot perform the required functions. It's just too ancient. The pixel shader model will kill it straight away, never mind anything else.
Intel(R) 82915G Express Chipset Controller

The second pc will also not be able to run Ship Simulator

(a) The processor speed is too low. That PC will suffer stack overflow crashes frequently, if it ever gets started.
Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.20GHz

(b) The graphics card is also inadequate. Video memory is too small, and the pixel shader engine is too ancient.
Display Memory: 128.0 MB

Chip type: GeForce FX 5200

So, neither will work.

Person264

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 15:32:58 »

But if they put a decent 7 series graphics card in the first computer?

greenbriggs9

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 01:56:27 »

You should look at the system specs, if they dont cut your machine, dont buy it. A geforce 6 series plays it fine. I have a 6800 ultra, and it murders it. That coupled with 2x150 gig raptor in raid 0, 4 gig of ram and an intel core 2 duo 3 ghtz thingy. :-)

Master Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 02:32:42 »

allow me to add something about the NVIDIA 6 series, its a great g-card but its outdated, it came with my pc about 3 years ago. I have a NVIDIA GeForce 6200SE and it kind of struggles on the game, so best advice is get a better card, though neither of these pcs is really suitable for the game without spending a good amount of money on upgrades ;)

Multiplayer Ship Simmers Gaming Clan (http://www.mpssclan.co.uk/forum)  Sig By Agent|Austin

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 08:43:50 »

I'm lucky, I have quite a "low end" system compared to most people here, I got this computer 3-4 years ago (Can't remember exactly :D). But I went into the local computer shop, handed them the game requirements, and said, could you upgrade  my computer so it will run that?

And here I am today! :D

But seriously, I've got a GeFroce 7300, like Nathan said, but I'm low on RAM, only got 1 G. I guess whatever else he did, or whatever was originally in this system makes up for whats lost.

For example, funnily enough, there hasn't ever been a ship I can't run over at Virtual Sailor, some really good models were made, and people with high end systems couldn't run them :o Yet I could? :D

Must be the Irish computer :D

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

Master Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 12:43:46 »

indeed jack, IRISH POWER!  ;D

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2009, 14:05:31 »

Maybe I should get one of these Irish things :D
My music: www.jhbrende.com (http://www.jhbrende.com/)

Nathan|C

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2009, 18:20:59 »

I only have a ATI Radeon X300 SE with 128mb, Computer was recently upgraded to 3GB of RAM. I'm lucky that i can run my Signature smoothly!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines