Hello Guest July 27, 2024, 00:40:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Would You Like to see the N.S Savannah in ship sim?  (Read 17698 times)

thebigu99

• Forum member
Would You Like to see the N.S Savannah in ship sim?
« on: December 30, 2008, 04:47:13 »

Hi it's me thebigu99 i have been wondering would it be nice if ship sim has the legendary N.S Savannah the first Nuclear powered cargo ship.

It would be awesome to add the N.S Savannah in Ship Sim.And the design of the ship is sleek and no exshaust fumes to smudge her white paint.

NS Savannah, named for SS Savannah, was the first nuclear-powered cargo-passenger ship, built in the late 1950s at a cost of $46.9 million, including a $28.3 million nuclear reactor and fuel core, funded by United States government agencies as a demonstration project for the potential usage of nuclear energy. Launched on 21 July 1959, she was in service between 1962–1972.NS Savannah is one of only four nuclear-powered cargo ships ever built.

In 1955, President of the United States Dwight Eisenhower proposed building a nuclear-powered merchant ship as a showcase for his "Atoms for Peace" initiative. The next year, Congress authorized NS Savannah as a joint project of the Atomic Energy Commission, the Maritime Administration (MARAD), and the Department of Commerce. She was designed by George G. Sharp, Incorporated, of New York City. Her keel was laid down by the New York Shipbuilding Corporation at Camden, New Jersey. Her nuclear reactor was manufactured by Babcock and Wilcox. She was christened by U.S. First Lady Mamie Eisenhower at the ship's launching on 21 July 1959.

Savannah was a demonstration of the technical feasibility of nuclear propulsion for merchant ships and was not expected to be commercially competitive. She was designed to be visually impressive, looking more like a luxury yacht than a bulk cargo vessel, and was equipped with thirty air-conditioned staterooms (each with an individual bath), a dining facility for 100 passengers, a lounge that could double as a movie theater, a veranda, a swimming pool and a library. By many measures, the ship was a success. She performed well at sea, her safety record was impressive, her fuel economy was unsurpassed, and her gleaming white paint was never smudged by exhaust smoke. Even her cargo handling equipment was designed to look good. From 1965 to 1971, the Maritime Administration leased Savannah to American Export-Isbrandtsen Lines for revenue cargo service.

However, Savannah's cargo space was limited to 8,500 tons of freight in 652,000 cubic feet (18,000 m³). Many of her competitors could accommodate several times as much. Her streamlined hull made loading the forward holds laborious, which became a significant disadvantage as ports became more and more automated. Her crew was a third larger than comparable oil-fired ships and received special training after completing all training requirements for conventional maritime licenses. Her operating budget included the maintenance of a separate shore organization for negotiating her port visits and a personalized shipyard facility for completing any needed repairs.

No ship with these disadvantages could hope to be commercially successful. Her passenger space was wasted while her cargo capacity was insufficient. As a result of her design handicaps, Savannah cost approximately US$2 million a year more in operating subsidies than a similarly sized Mariner-class ship with a conventional oil-fired steam plant. The Maritime Administration decommissioned her in 1972 to save costs, a decision that made sense when fuel oil cost US$20 per ton. In 1974, however, when fuel oil cost $80 per ton following an energy crisis, Savannah's operating costs would have been no greater than a conventional cargo ship. (Maintenance and eventual disposal are other issues, of course.)

For a short period of time during the 1970s, after the Savannah was decommissioned, she was stored in Galveston, Texas, and was a familiar sight to many travelers on State Highway 87 as they crossed Boliver Roads on the free ferry service operated by the Texas Department of Highways.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 04:51:20 by thebigu99 »
Thebigu99

Minime

• Forum member
Re: Would You Like to see the N.S Savannah in ship sim?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 05:01:32 »

Nice ship, I would love to have it in the sim

thanks to Tore/TJK for this awesome sig

thebigu99

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 05:24:21 »

Thank you for replying but unfortunately i cannot work on it because i have work.I am an architect in Abu Dhabi i am working on the Emirates Tower project unfortunately it will finish in about 10 to 12 years.

I hope that you or anyone else will make it true. ;D
Thebigu99

thebigu99

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 05:28:14 »

Since the N.S Savannah is a sleek looking cargo-passenger ship it's Bridge also needs to be well detailed just like the jumbo javelin i know i am asking to much just make the bridge and the whole ship well and exquisitely detailed to satisfy customers thank you.
Thebigu99

mvsmith

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 05:40:59 »

As a nuclear powered ship, she would not be allowed in many of the harbors in the simulator.

thebigu99

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 06:25:01 »

Hi and welcome mvsmith.

I still don't understand you what do you mean it will not be allowed on harbors or ports in ss?

I am not angry just confused.
Thebigu99

Minime

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 06:30:29 »

probably some security issues I think

thebigu99

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 06:47:49 »

I dont understand what kind of security issue.

But it's just ship sim right not a real one the game could have a special port though.

more pics of her
Thebigu99

Minime

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 06:57:07 »

Is the ship still alive today?

thebigu99

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 07:13:44 »

This is what really happened to savannah.

In 1981, the Savannah was obtained via bareboat charter for display at the Patriots Point Naval and Maritime Museum near Mount Pleasant, South Carolina. Although the museum had use of the vessel, ownership of Savannah remained with the Maritime Administration, and the Patriots Point Development Authority had to be designated a "co-licensee" for the ship's reactor. Periodic radiological inspections were also necessary to ensure the continued safety of the ship. Once Savannah was open for display, visitors could tour the ship's cargo holds, view the reactor spaces from an observation window, look into staterooms and passenger areas, and walk the ship's decks.

The museum had hoped to recondition and improve the ship's public spaces for visitors, but these plans never materialized. Savannah never drew the visitors that the museum's other ships, notably the aircraft carrier YorktownTemplate:WP Ships USS instances, did. When a periodic MARAD inspection in 1993 indicated the need for dry docking the Savannah, Patriots Point and the Maritime Administration agreed to terminate the ship's charter in 1994. The ship was moved from the museum and dry docked in Baltimore, Maryland in 1994 for the repairs, after which she was moved to the James River Merchant Marine Reserve Fleet near Newport News, Virginia. The fuel in her nuclear power plant was removed upon retirement, though parts of the system that still contain radioactivity are on board.

The Maritime Administration has funded decommissioning and removal of the ship's nuclear systems. The Savannah had undergone work at Colonna's Shipyard of Norfolk, Virginia, beginning 15 August 2006. That $995,000 job included exterior structural and lighting repairs, removing shipboard cranes and wiring, refurbishing water-damaged interior spaces, and removing mold, mildew and painting some of the interior. On 30 January 2007, she was towed to Pier 23, which is owned by the City of Newport News. On 8 May 2008, the NS Savannah arrived in Baltimore under tow from Norfolk, for removal of the vessel's remaining radioactive material.The Savannah is expected to remain in Baltimore for up to 3 years under a $588,380 U.S. Maritime Administration contract with the Vane Brothers' shipyard at the Canton Marine Terminal in the Canton section of Baltimore.

Since the NS Savannah is historically significant and has been designated a National Historic Landmark, MARAD has expressed interest in offering the ship for preservation once Savannah's DDR (Decommissioning, Decontamination and Radiological) work is completed. A MARAD spokesman told The Baltimore Sun in May 2008 that the maritime agency envisions the ship's eventual conversion into a museum, but that no investors have yet offered to undertake the project.

Thebigu99

thebigu99

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 08:29:52 »

So anyone wants this ship to be in SS.

I hope people will agree that the N.S Savannah will be put into service in SS soon.
Thebigu99

mvsmith

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 09:28:58 »

Hi and welcome mvsmith.

I still don't understand you what do you mean it will not be allowed on harbors or ports in ss?

I am not angry just confused.

In many countries anti-nuclear paranoia is so high that nuclear powered vessels are not allowed in, for fear of a major disaster. Nor are vessels transporting nuclear fuel or waste products.
Thank you for the welcome, but I’ve been around for a while.

At Columbia University in the mid 50s I worked on studies of heat transfer in Savannah’s reactor.

thebigu99

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 09:49:34 »

Oh thank you for the reply mvsmith but this is SS okay not real life so that we can add whatever vessels we want even nuclear or non-nuclear.Seeing the N.S Savannah left out of SS is just sad and breaks the N.S Savannah spirit and my heart.

Any ways i hope VSTEP will make it a reality.It's just ship sim ok it's not real life ok IT IS JUST A GAME so we can add the N.S Savannah.And i dreamed of being her captain.Anyways SS does really need a special ship though and in my opinion the N.S Savannah is the perfect ship for the job.

Mvsimth i am not offending you it's just that N.S Savannah is to beutiful to be left out of the NO.1 maritme simulator.I know all those laws and anti nuclear stuff but that is in real-life but this is a game with no restriction even though that ship is not allowed on that port and that boat is not allowed on that port ecetera ecetera.

All i am saying is that the N.S Savannah is just too beutiful to be left out of SS anyways i hope VSTEP or anyone will make it a true dream. ;D
Thebigu99

mvsmith

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 10:23:30 »

I was not saying that NS Savannah should not be in the sim, I was commenting on today’s reality.
You should, however, spend some time reading the many topics on adding ships to the simulator. You will see that the chance of getting any particular ship added is extremely low, because of the massive work involved, and the fact that there are very few third-party modelers who have the ability to produce ships that meet the stringent requirements.

thebigu99

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 10:31:54 »

I know mvsmith i am just sorry ok anyways do you know any good stuff so that i can built my N.S Savannah to SS a free one of course because i want the ship so badly in ship sim a good modelling program so that i can model it then convert it to SS to be playable and sailable of course tell me which free program is it.
Thebigu99

thebigu99

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 10:57:25 »

Oh i have bad news i will not be able to construct the N.S Savannah personally because my boss just said i have to be in the office all the time even if i get home i will be late it is not an excuse i hope anyone here who is incredibly skilled at modelling would make the N.S Savannah for me and i will credit them to VSTEP or to this post or i will create a new topic to credit the builders of N.S Savannah for Ship Sim.

I am sorry not being able to construct it myself i must count on some very skilled builders here i will credit you in my posts or i will ask VSTEP to credit anyone who builds the N.S Savannah (NSS) please can i count on anyone or not although i am not forcing you.

If anyone agree's to make it then it must have a very and exquisitely detailed Bridge interior just like the jumbo javelin i will gladly be a help to the research and construction but no always though and the exterior too thank you.
Thebigu99

thebigu99

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 14:46:04 »

Look people the reason i want the N.S Savannah to be in SS is because it is beutiful,sleek looking and by the looks of the ship there is not one black exhaust fume smudge on her paint.

And that SS needs to have a special ship just to satisfy customers and the NSS(Nuclear.Ship Savannah)is a nuclear ship which makes her a special ship for SS then people will also remember the golden ages of Nuclear power for Peace.
Thebigu99

Nathan|C

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2008, 15:25:10 »

It looks an interesting ship, reminds me of the Cap San Diego at first glance,

Please, try not to post more than once in a row. If you need to add anything, please click "modify" and add it to an exisitng post.

thebigu99

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2008, 16:25:39 »

Hi and welcome nathan

So do you want it to be in SS.

i will not post more than 1 reply's or post

anyways i would really like this ship in SS if only i knew how to model but i am working all the time.
Please anyone make it a sucess.

You could say that i'm N.S Savannah crazy well yes i am i love the ship because she's the pretiest ship ever.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 16:46:29 by thebigu99 »
Thebigu99

Nathan|C

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2008, 20:56:18 »

So do you want it to be in SS.

I think any addition to the game would be welcome  ;)

Minime

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2008, 00:22:11 »

I might start working on the ship sometime, but not for the game, since I don't have the real tools for that.

thebigu99

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2008, 02:48:35 »

Thank you people i have been grateful to you for deciding to put in SS or not maybe for VS i dont know but take your time if you still want to decide.

People you are not gonna beleive this not only was the ship looks good but her cargo handling equipment was meant to look good!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 02:52:07 by thebigu99 »
Thebigu99

Minime

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2008, 02:52:15 »

Well at now I'm a busy with something else. But before I start I would start on a much smaller project, since I'm not very familiar with the program I'm using, which is Gmax.

thebigu99

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2008, 03:25:55 »

Thats ok minime take your time to learn first then you can tell me when it is fully operational.

See the N.S Savannah wasn't design to carry large amounts of cargo but design as a SHOWBOAT!!!! hahaha. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :o :o :o :o

Want to see more about this ship visit http://www.paint.org/meetings/marine/marine3_06.pdf
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 03:43:53 by thebigu99 »
Thebigu99

llamalord

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2008, 04:37:23 »

Refueling a nuclear powered ship. :o

Naa,  I've bee inside a nuclear reactor before.  Know all about em' ;D
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

www.llamalord
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines