Hello Guest September 21, 2024, 10:45:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Autopilot?  (Read 2152 times)

Cpt Morgan

• Forum member
Autopilot?
« on: December 27, 2008, 05:15:22 »

I'm wondering why none of the vessels have an autopilot? It certainly is reality to have an autopilot on board.  The reason we have autopilots is so that we can tend to other things.

Were autopilots never installed for a reason?

Kapn Jonah

• Forum member
Re: Autopilot?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 05:24:09 »

this is just another pointless feature, that is why u can walk around and let the vessel sail on its own and every now and then check in by going back to the bridge by selecting the helm veiw.
:D
Regards,
Jonah

Minime

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 05:26:59 »

I don't think it's pointless, and it would make the sim more realistic

thanks to Tore/TJK for this awesome sig

Kapn Jonah

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 05:30:12 »

it would, but it would just take a lot more time for the Developers, i mean they are working on ss2010 as we speak....
sorry to say ot was pointless, it would be kinda good to have. :D
Regards,
Jonah

Minime

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 06:22:09 »

Well maybe the envirements are to little for them anyway, but in some missions it would be nice to have that feature, even though in real life you wouldn't use a autopilot in port

mvsmith

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 07:19:54 »

Again, this is a subject that has been dealt with many times. It is raised mostly by people who think the whole world should be like FS.

Often it is a combined request to be able to cross the Atlantic in real time, but with autopilot and time acceleration so that they don’t have to actually do it.
The object of Ship Simulator is the operation of vessels. Turning that over to the program would defeat the purpose.
Perhaps the developers will revisit that after they have dealt with a much more immediate departure from realism: The absence of operating heads on any of the ships.

svein76@online.no

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 00:43:28 »

I'm wondering why none of the vessels have an autopilot? It certainly is reality to have an autopilot on board.  The reason we have autopilots is so that we can tend to other things.

Were autopilots never installed for a reason?

Tend to other things? If auto pilots were installed for a reason, this was certainly not it. Having the vessel on auto pilot doesn't mean you can ease your focus, rather the contrary.

Blow

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 06:47:26 »

Autopilot would be great. As well as being able to plot a course for the ship to follow during autopilot.

Kapn Jonah

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 17:42:27 »

Well if you use the auto pilot in a mission, it will obviously just follow along the route that the waypoints make, and you would have to go back to do all of the speed decreasing, mooring and anchoring.
Regards,
Jonah

mvsmith

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 17:55:30 »

Hi Jonah,
I don’t understand why anyone would use an autopilot in SS. It would be simpler not to start SS in the first place.
I hope you had a good Christmas, and that 2009 is a good to you.
Regards,
Marty

Minime

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 17:59:46 »

Maby to learn how to use autopilot?

mvsmith

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 18:10:07 »

Perhaps someone would explain, in detail, how they would expect an autopilot to work, and be used.
Also explain whether it would override the ship’s dynamics.

TerryRussell

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 19:49:01 »

I suppose it might teach people how to program waypoints into an autopilot, so that they didn't try to ram the buoys or take shortcuts over land.

We had a real-life example of where that would have been useful a few years back.

A medium sized cargo vessel tried to sail up Selsey High Street in order to reach the top of Southampton Water, having come down past the Dover Straights.

Fortunately, the shingle banks stopped the vessel, rather than any of the rocks. It was floated off at a Spring high tide about a week later, the weather having been kind.

The sniggering local fishermen were perhaps not so kind.

mvsmith

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 21:08:44 »

Perhaps VSTEP could simply provide walkabout on AI ships.

Blow

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 05:47:41 »

Walkabouts on AI ships wouldn't be that fun considering there routes are limited. I've seen in another post something was mentioned about being able to board other players ships during online play to simulate the pliot and helmsman during transit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines