Hello Guest October 20, 2024, 09:35:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Very Dull - Rule of the Road  (Read 3340 times)

NAVY_JR

• Forum member
Very Dull - Rule of the Road
« on: July 23, 2007, 17:19:42 »

Still a newbie - but can anyone help?

I'm thinking of purchasing SS2008 to use to assist in the training of Officers of the Watch (Deck Officers in Merchant Navy speak).  In order for it to be truly useful I need to know if the other vessels cutting about apply the 'Rule of the Road' ie the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea 1972.

Anyone any ideas?

Britannic

• Forum member
Re: Very Dull - Rule of the Road
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 17:37:35 »

Are you asking if the rules apply in the game or reality? :)
When Ive finished Media college Ive got many desired jobs, one being; Simulator making!

mporter

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 17:41:00 »

Still a newbie - but can anyone help?

I'm thinking of purchasing SS2008 to use to assist in the training of Officers of the Watch (Deck Officers in Merchant Navy speak).  In order for it to be truly useful I need to know if the other vessels cutting about apply the 'Rule of the Road' ie the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea 1972.

Anyone any ideas?

The short answer is NO.  Sorry. but there it is.  The other vessels simply run on tracks and if that involves cutting in front of your ship, then that is what they do.

Cheers,
Michael
Michael Porter Marine Design
www.mp-marine.com

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 17:58:20 »

Hello Michael,
Well, that was indeed the short answer...  ;D
But implementing the rules is no easy task, also the reason why officers of the watch are needed?
But also, to train students on a bridge, you need anyway an instructor of some kind, otherwise it will turn rapidly to "chaotic whatever". I suppose that with the multiplayer option, there will be a possibility to create training sessions (with or without these errrr AI ships) with a group of participating ships?
No?
Regards,
Luc

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 18:06:35 »

Greetings,
Yes,i agree,when the multiplayer-mode is functional,we realy do need some basic rules.As close to good seamenship.
I think if we dont have those basic rules,we can end up in some kind of chaos,when it's busy on some area's in the game.
Maybe we can copy,some rules out of the real reglement of the seas,or maybe some Captain/Skipper,with real experience,can help us out.
Regards
Marc
N

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 19:00:43 »

Yes marcstrat,
I too agree fully with you.  ;)
And concerning the rules, I should even add : ALL the rules, or at least progressively with the new ships appearing (fishing vesssels of any kind, handicapped by draft, towing, dredging etc..). The only difficult things would be visual signalling (NC, particular lights,...).
Regards,
Luc

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 19:26:00 »

Uh oh, this means I'm back to newbie-ville again ::)

Not had to have training for a long while guys, so be gentle with me :P

I don't know a great deal about rules regarding shipping, so count me in for the training/rules ;D

Regards.

DJM.
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People. (http://www.rnib.org.uk)

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

NAVY_JR

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 20:07:41 »

Wow - I didn't quite mean to spark off such a conversation!

It is a shame that the AI vessels don't implement the COLREGS.  The intention was just to use it to create taxing scenarios to test our knowledge and application of the Rules; my team are all relatively experienced but the software could've provided an interesting sandbox for us to experiment with. 

With multiplayer - I think that it's going to be difficult implementing a set of rules for players to follow.  How can you enforce them?  The only reason that people follow them in reality is to prevent accidents or lawsuits - what's going to happen if they stray from them?  In fact isn't it likely that there will be a significant number who will delight in causing mayhem?

mporter

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 22:39:18 »

For those who want to know, the official text of the rules can be found at http://www.uscg.mil/vtm/navrules/navrules.pdf (http://www.uscg.mil/vtm/navrules/navrules.pdf).  Everyone else is free to ignore.

This text contains the international rules but also the US "Inland" rules, which really don't apply to seagoing ships, so it's only half as long as it looks.  :)

Cheers,
Michael

Michael Porter Marine Design
www.mp-marine.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines