Hello Guest September 08, 2024, 03:26:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where is Ferry Terminal in Hamburg  (Read 1355 times)

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
Where is Ferry Terminal in Hamburg
« on: December 11, 2008, 16:01:27 »

I tried searching and couldn't find anything, so...

Where is the Ferry Terminal in Hamburg, where DFDS used to berth. I thought I saw it mentioned on the on-screen map, but I went over the main channel on a boat yesterday and couldn't find any mention of it.

Thanks

The Ferry Man

Bottman

• Global Moderator
Re: Where is Ferry Terminal in Hamburg
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 18:01:07 »

Unfortunately there is none in Hamburg! Since a few years, DFDS has withdrawn all services from Germany with RoPaxes. You'll find the remains of the linkspan in Hamburg close to the magnificent building (Docklands) at the northern bank of the river Elbe in Altona. There you can also see the last terminal building, used by DFDS, before they moved to Cuxhaven for a few last years in service. :-[

Regards
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Look at www.elbdampfer-hamburg.de

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 18:17:51 »

It's a shame that the route was closed, travelling along the Elbe was fantastic, so many things to see along the way.

Is the image below the right spot, it is in Altona, amnd from what I remember, I walked along the side of the ferry (which berthed sternwards), and could get a shot of the bow, so This looked close:

Thanks

The Ferry Man

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 19:40:26 »

Yeah, correct! This is the place, where the "Hamburg" (later as "Admiral of Scandinavia") and other DFDS ferries get moored, serving the Hamburg-Harwich link for a long time. Formerly the so-called England ferry was moored just a mile up the river, close to the place, where now the static ferry lays in the game. I have asked the developers to place the ship there, unfortunately they have turned it the wrong way with the bow down the river and at the tug station instead, the smaller pontoon. ;)

Regards
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 19:57:11 by Bottman »
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 20:56:25 »

Excellent. Thanks for the info, Bottman, most appreciated.

The Ferry Man

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 22:21:59 »

Be my guest! I have made a practise year on board of the above pictured ferry in the early 80ties - it was fantastic to come up the river Elbe in the early morning... :D

Best regards
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines