Hello Guest September 08, 2024, 02:57:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Jumbo ship  (Read 9011 times)

john morris

• Forum member
Jumbo ship
« on: November 13, 2008, 11:04:59 »

Excellent addition to the ships in the sim. Handling is first class and the missions look great. Regret have one problem in mission 1, at first waypoint to pickup load unable to trigger waypoint. I even tried starboard side to but with no effect.  Can you tell me if I missed something. Mission 2 went perfectly. Regards John Morris

Traddles

• Global Moderator
Re: Jumbo ship
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 11:16:42 »

Hi John,
If you could give the exact name of the mission we would be able to check for you. As you know each mission has a name rather than a number. With the information you have given it is not possible for anyone to identify the mission. I will say that "Jumbo Javelin" must lie with her starboard side to the pontoon in order to load. In reality the cranes would not reach far enough across the ship if she were port side to. The lift would be turned to pass through between the crane posts and then aligned to be landed on deck.

Angus.
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

john morris

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 11:46:42 »

Hi Angus, The mission in question is the Jumbo Javelin, Heavy job. The first waypoint is alongside the  barge carrying the Vacuum cylinder and the instruction is to go portside.  I will try it again and see what happens.Many thanks, John

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 12:36:35 »

Hello again John,
Welcome to the forum, sorry I should have said that earlier :-[. You are right the instruction DOES say moor port side to the pontoon. However I swung JJ off the Werkhafen and came astern to the pontoon. There is no trigger waypoint, though if you are coming portside to you moor the bow first, then the stern after which the load will be put on deck. If you are coming in stern first of course you moor the stern line first then the bow. It is important to make sure the ship is tight alongside and that you moor to the bollards on the quay not the pontoon. Best of luck though ;D. It's great to see us oldies enjoying the game, you would be possibly surprised to know that there are quite a large number of us. If you have anyfurther queries on missions it is best to ask in the "Missions" thread where they will be picked up more quickly.
Again a very warm welcome, you will find that this is a very good forum and there are some terrific people on board.
Angus.

Oops, I have just noticed that you have been around since January, 2007. Anyway, the welcome is still there. :P
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 12:38:25 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

john morris

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 12:46:52 »

Many thanks for your reply Angus. I still have my discharge book but cannot get any company to take me back so this is the next best thing. I read the Discussion very regularly to keep up with remainder of the armchair sailors. Best regards, john

CaptainMike1

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 13:43:19 »

Looking at you two old salts makes me feel really young!!

RMSGreatBritain

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 17:29:05 »

The Jumbo Javelin, what can I say, superb, in a percentage rating of how good it is, it gets 200%
DiamondEagleDB09rms On youtube! Now with New Playlist!
<br />Thanks to TJK for this awesome Sig!

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 20:53:13 »

It is great to handle a new ship, and to stand at her bridge, i really like it.But i just have 2 questions relating to the ship:

How come the engine sounds sound very similar to the tug Farimount Shepra, isn't this a freighter? and is that  really ships real horn?

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

TerryRussell

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 21:01:29 »

I have yet to update the horn pack to include JJ. It's on my list to do when I get back to the UK. Along with a million other things.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 21:23:23 by TerryRussell »

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 21:20:47 »

I have yet to update the horn pack to include JJ. It's on my list to do when I get back to the UK. Alogn with a million other things.

Sounds to me like  you need a holiday, terry
http://photos.igougo.com/images/p158058-St._Barthelemy-Les_Ilets_de_la_Plage.jpg

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

TerryRussell

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 21:23:06 »

No, I'd hate a real holiday. This week, I had a few days in Rotterdam, met with Aad the Pirate and with Vstep. Went wandering around and recorded about 12 hours of radio sounds (another update coming soon!).

That was a holiday.

Cob

• Forum member
  • Captain Cob
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 14:22:38 »

Hi Friends!  ;)
I downloaded and installed the new ship the Jumbo Javelin. One question, who I know how empowering the joy in azimuthal console?  ???
Thank you
FYI
Cobra
  ???

Sam

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2008, 14:32:47 »

Hi Friends!  ;)
I downloaded and installed the new ship the Jumbo Javelin. One question, who I know how empowering the joy in azimuthal console?  ???
Thank you
FYI
Cobra
  ???

I don't really understand what yo mean.

But, you can only control the 'azimuthal' console with your mouse.
The white cirkle in the middle is for direction, and the red and green are for throttle. ;)

[SJ]Stein

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2008, 14:45:19 »

Sounds to me like  you need a holiday, terry

ehr.. you'd need a resort like that after having landed there.....

Skip to about 1 minute 50 to know what i mean....     

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr4XXDYsOe0

and yes.. i'm a scaredycat

Gonna buy my addy's ( Elbe, Fury) right now... ship ya later guys.. ehr see i mean

Regards,

Steiny

Cob

• Forum member
  • Captain Cob
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2008, 18:39:32 »

I don't really understand what yo mean.

But, you can only control the 'azimuthal' console with your mouse.
The white cirkle in the middle is for direction, and the red and green are for throttle. ;)

Thanks for answering!  ;)
I know how the azimuthal, the question that I can not configure it with the keyboard it with the mouse, as the ship has three propellers and a bow thrust.
Regards
Cobra  8)

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2008, 19:06:03 »

Unfortunately there is no 3rd engine prepared for keyboard use. We've asked the developers to do so, but they won't... :-\
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Look at www.elbdampfer-hamburg.de

mvsmith

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2008, 19:37:06 »

Hi Cob,
JJ has only two propellers, the bow thruster, and the AZ located slightly aft of amidships.
The AZ moves the stern faster than it moves the bow, so you need to balance it with the bow thruster when moving crab-wise.
Ignore the third engine on the HUD.
Regards,
Marty

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2008, 22:47:17 »

Unfortunately there is no 3rd engine prepared for keyboard use. We've asked the developers to do so, but they won't... :-\

ahhhh, so that would mean that 1 button controls 1 engine and the other one controls 2 ?!...man what have they got planned now?also pointing out a little something else, im not very convinced that is actually the ships real engine sound it produces, because Sherpa and pushboat have the same, speaking that Sherpa is a tug and the pushboat is that thing, i was gonna say that it may have mixture engine sounds to Agile Solutions  and Verramass since this ship is also a freighter but very big.

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2008, 22:49:49 »

Hi Cob,
JJ has only two propellers, the bow thruster, and the AZ located slightly aft of amidships.
The AZ moves the stern faster than it moves the bow, so you need to balance it with the bow thruster when moving crab-wise.
Ignore the third engine on the HUD.
Regards,
Marty

This is all messed up, because it dose say it has 3 engines, but at the back the wake trail only come from 2 and 2 only.But as i mentioned in the post above also 1 button controls 1 engine and the other controls apparently 2 other.... the only solution is to release an update to remove on the HUD when it says engine 3 or make another button which will represent the 3rd engine and maybe modify the way the wake trail comes out the back just keep everything else the same in this case.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 22:56:31 by Third Mate »

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

TerryRussell

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2008, 23:03:29 »

You have absolutely no idea of the months of work that would take....  ;)

As Marty says, it only has two propellors. So having two trails is exactly correct. Ignore the HUD.

But if you're that displeased with it, uninstall it and get your money back. (Free...)

mvsmith

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2008, 01:34:55 »

This is all messed up, because it dose say it has 3 engines, but at the back the wake trail only come from 2 and 2 only.But as i mentioned in the post above also 1 button controls 1 engine and the other controls apparently 2 other.... the only solution is to release an update to remove on the HUD when it says engine 3 or make another button which will represent the 3rd engine and maybe modify the way the wake trail comes out the back just keep everything else the same in this case.

Nowhere does it say there are three engines. There is an indicator on the HUD for a third engine, which you should ignore. Because there are only two screws, there will be only two screw wakes visible. The wake on the port side is from the screw on the port side. The wake on the starboard side is from the screw on the starboard side.
There are only two throttles: The one on the left controls the port screw, which generates the wake on the port side.
The throttle on the right controls the starboard screw, which generates the wake on the starboard side.
Please let me know if you cannot understand any of the above, and I will try to explain it more simply.
We try to accommodate those with special needs.

As for VSTEP issuing a patch to clear up your confusion, you would need a far better grasp of what is involved in order to understand what a silly idea that is.

The picture that I included in my post to Cob, above, is from the Ship Editor and shows the stern of JJ. The two larger orange circles are the twin screws with the twin rudders. The smaller circle marks the location of the AZ farther forward.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 05:51:31 by mvsmith »

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2008, 06:29:49 »

You have absolutely no idea of the months of work that would take....  ;)

As Marty says, it only has two propellors. So having two trails is exactly correct. Ignore the HUD.

But if you're that displeased with it, uninstall it and get your money back. (Free...)

Ahh dam it, terry im not displeased with the ship im...well imagine VSTEP beeing like a cake shop and they make cakes all sorts and of course they deliver them, this is just like the new ships and existing ones.So you made a cake right and when you deliver it to the customer it's missing things such as the fruits inside, sugar or the ships missing proper lights, confusing things like this.Now imagine that ship as the advertising cake but when it reaches the customer it dose not look like in the picture, i would image months of work would be and i would rather wait that long than have this ship now with all these missing things or other things that do not look or sound right.That's what anyones me evreytime i see a new ship in the yard or any other ship in the game.

What i would recommend is vstep to put the ship construction at halt and brush up on all their ships they have ever made, such as proper lights(in and out), maybe hull textures, smoke even, realistic horns for any of ships,proper bow wake trail/textures, splashier wake foam, crew on deck and inside with uniforms sitting on chairs, because i would rather have a few ships with proper system than 100 ships with all these missing things. And as long as it may take i will wait because we have about, just the basics matter on every ship, 27 ships to brush up on.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 06:40:10 by Third Mate »

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

mvsmith

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2008, 06:56:17 »

Hi Cob,
Here is another view of JJ showing the approximate location of the retractable AZ and the bow thruster (representing the two real bow thrusters).
The AZ is not exactly in that location in the download dynamics because, as you can see, I’ve been moving it around.
Regards,
Marty

Cob

• Forum member
  • Captain Cob
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2008, 12:12:40 »

Hi everybody!  8)
Nobody questions how long it took to design this type of ship, and consider the fact that pure and free. The question that I find the commands engine right, left, bow thrust, rudder and a joy for azimuthal. Not being able to configure the keyboard, or because it can operate only with the mouse and does not believe me and then to be the most reliable. In bugsier2 can maneuver very well individually from the keyboard. Why should not be so even for the Jumbo? Surely we should expect a change to solve the problem above.
Thanks for your attention
FYI
Cobra  ;)

mvsmith

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2008, 16:00:14 »

Hi Cob,
It is unlikely such changes will be made. Neither keyboard nor joystick control of the AZ on this particular ship is necessary, or desirable, for reasons stated in this thread:

http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,11407.msg134667.html#msg134667
The AZ on JJ is not used in the same manner as on Bug2 or Ocean Star.
Marty
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines