Hello Guest September 19, 2024, 18:02:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hard to Starboard  (Read 5659 times)

trains

• Forum member
Hard to Starboard
« on: October 07, 2008, 00:36:10 »

better version compared to my old one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZpy03PbxzM

thanks to TJK for this awsome sig :D

Radeon HD 6850; AMD FX 4100 3.62 Ghz; 4 GB Ram

mvsmith

Re: Hard to Starboard
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 02:22:06 »

Nice job Trains,
And it was nice of Jim Cameron to let you use so much of his footage. But:
The title should be “Hard a Starboard”.  “Hard to Starboard” means quite the opposite.

“Hard a Starboard”—as Murdoch said for real, and in the film—means to turn the ship to port.
It historically meant to put the tiller hard over to starboard, which put the rudder over to port—as it does in an oared longboat. In ships steered by wheels this is done by putting the wheel over to port—as was done in the film.

“Hard to Starboard” means just what it sounds like—make a hard turn to starboard.

trains

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 02:37:46 »

well.... i just felt like calling it the quote from the movie.

bbydino05

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 02:57:41 »

better version compared to my old one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZpy03PbxzM
how did u get in the crows nest and how do u and arron1912 make it go down like it downs in his vids

trains

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 19:44:03 »

well.....use view 4 and if you have a mouse with scroll dial, click down on it and move the mouse about. and she can't sink like the movie one if thats what you mean. not a feature in SS08 but i hope it changes in SS09 for realalistic sinkings. damage at the bow brings her down by the stern. we should add watertight doors that can be closed from the bridge and an engine room on Titanic.

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 20:13:38 »

wouldn't going starboard with the engines in reverse really take the stern starboard and the bow port? So they DID turn the wheel starboard, but they went port because they had the engines in reverse?

mvsmith

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 20:43:45 »

The engines were not in reverse. Murdoch rang Astern Full to alert the engine room to an emergency and then rang Stop.
In the 40 seconds to impact there was not time to get the wing screws going in reverse.
The center, turbine driven, screw—directly affecting the rudder—could not reverse.
Titanic continued moving forward with little change in speed during those 40 seconds.

J3nsen

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 21:09:46 »

Nice job =)

firestar12

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 21:25:22 »

wouldn't going starboard with the engines in reverse really take the stern starboard and the bow port? So they DID turn the wheel starboard, but they went port because they had the engines in reverse?
Hard to Starboard Means turn to Port. Hard to port means turn to Starboard. In such little time it wouldnt make a difference.

trains

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 23:45:37 »

well things could change in almost 100 years. i heard back then that starboard was left and port was right. where i don't know. also that reversing the engines reveresed the flow of water against the rudder but it was still able to turn but it was much slower. the turn started before the engines were reversed.

firestar12

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 00:11:55 »

well things could change in almost 100 years. i heard back then that starboard was left and port was right. where i don't know. also that reversing the engines reveresed the flow of water against the rudder but it was still able to turn but it was much slower. the turn started before the engines were reversed.
Well, I think whoever told you that was confused by the Hard to starbard, Turn to Port thing. It confused me for years, Until i found out that "Hard to starboard" Means turn to port. If your still in denial, Take a look at this topic. http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,10470.0.html And, No, I wasnt confused so what Matt said wasnt true. ;) <EDIT: Typo>

mvsmith

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 00:23:47 »

Firestar,
If you had read the whole topic, you would know that the modern helm order—not used on US ships—is “Hard to starboard”, and means hard turn to starboard.
The obsolete order “Hard a starboard”—used aboard Titanic—meant turn to port. This order was outlawed by most nations in the 1930s, and in the US by act of Congress in the 19th century.

firestar12

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 00:28:33 »

Firestar,
If you had read the whole topic, you would know that the modern helm order—not used on US ships—is “Hard to starboard”, and means hard turn to starboard.
The obsolete order “Hard a starboard”—used aboard Titanic—meant turn to port. This order was outlawed by most nations in the 1930s, and in the US by act of Congress in the 19th century.

OOOHHHH. Sorry. I didn't realize that Hard TO and hard A were different

trains

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 00:33:35 »

how bout we just say i'm right and finish it up? ;D

svein76@online.no

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2008, 00:21:13 »

Hard to Starboard Means turn to Port. Hard to port means turn to Starboard. In such little time it wouldnt make a difference.

You mean meant ? In our time hard to starboard means turn the ship to starbord. Ordering the engines full astern had no positive effect, rather the opposite. When going astern with a conventional ship the only turning effect will be depending on which way the propeller is turning. (If it's right-handed or left handed). This information must also be placed on the pilot card.

maritiem

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2008, 16:41:55 »

nice movie! 5*  ;)  I wish that you would make the movie a little bit longer. maybe you could try to let the titanic sink the same way as it went in real.

maritiem (very nice movie)

People can almost do anything, The only thing they can't is forgive each other.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines