Hello Guest April 18, 2024, 23:02:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bridge Wings  (Read 15269 times)

Gadetron

• Forum member
Bridge Wings
« on: October 06, 2008, 18:24:44 »

Hello all.

Not so much a Technical question but a Dynamics one.

I have been trying but Am I right you cannot control a vessel fitted with bridge wings from the wings itself?

I can only get out to the wings on Walkthrough and watch but not control.  Is there any way I can make this happen or is it a no-go (Would be a lot more realistic if you could as it would be easier for berthing.

TIA

Andy.

Bottman

• Global Moderator
Re: Bridge Wings
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 18:38:10 »

Well, you can control the vessel from the bridge wing. But you have to use the mouse, if there are controls outside.. ;)
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Look at www.elbdampfer-hamburg.de

Gadetron

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 19:12:31 »

Well, you can control the vessel from the bridge wing. But you have to use the mouse, if there are controls outside.. ;)

Ive bought and modified 2 sets of Flight Sim Controllers for use in Ship Sim.  Can control it with Joysticks from the centre console but not from the wings.  So there is no physical way to use the joysticks at the wing consoles?

TIA

Andy

TerryRussell

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 19:24:39 »

No, you can't control the vessels using joysticks or keyboard when you're in "walkabout" mode. Those controls move you around instead.

Gadetron

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 19:30:54 »

Ok Many thanks

TerryRussell

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 19:37:05 »

You can also use the joysticks when you are in the viewpoint from outside and above the vessel.

firestar12

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 20:47:57 »

Ok Many thanks
Hello Gadetron and welcome to the forum! (A little belated though eh? ;D) I think i have a solution to your problem. You could walk on the bridge wing, And then hit "C" To bring up the controls. That may help. And not ALL ships don't have controls there. Pride of Rotterdam does, And so does Vermaas and Latitude (And Elbe and Furie)

TerryRussell

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 18:07:32 »

Firestar, he had already stated very clearly that he was asking about joystick controls.

Please read posts carefully before you make comments and it will help prevent you giving incorrect or irrelevant advice.

Thanks.

firestar12

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 20:46:55 »

Firestar, he had already stated very clearly that he was asking about joystick controls.

Please read posts carefully before you make comments and it will help prevent you giving incorrect or irrelevant advice.

Thanks.
Oh ok. :'( Sorry. But also, Gadetron, For that to happen it would be really confusing when it came to controlling the ship.

pigdog

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 09:34:09 »

It's a real pain this problem, I've suggested in another thread that on the helm camera view button at the bottom of the screen that we have the ability to scroll through the main control positions rather than use walkthrough mode, that way you are sent straight to where you need to be to control your ship.

So for instance on the vermass one click will take you to the main bridge view a second would take you to the port bridge wing and a third click would take you to the stbd wing so you are able to use your joystic controls and look around whilst having the viewpoint as you would on a real vessel.

other ships like the Bugsier 2 would only need two control positions the standard view and the aft console view whereas the Red Eagle would need 4 fwd, aft and the bridge wings.

I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to add fixed camera views to the sim, just hope someone takes note of it.

pigdog
[img width=585 height=150http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/9431/panddax5.png]

Brinch

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 14:15:50 »

I belive it would be easier to add a new keyboard/mouse command, only activ in the walk view. This command should temporarily switch of walking mode and switch to the same keyboard controls as when in bridge/outside view. The benefit of this is no more views has to be configured, and no one can complain, there favourite control position isn't included with the model. Just an idea.

pigdog

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 16:28:12 »

Yes that would work anyway as long as you can use joysticks or other controllers from all steering positions, the reason I mentioned the fixed camera positions was that people were saying it's fine as it is because they don't use joysticks just the keyboard and mouse.

Let's hope something is done about it.

TerryRussell

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 19:24:34 »

I very much doubt it will be changed in Ship Simulator 2008.

pigdog

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 21:24:41 »

Refresh my memory Terry, did it used to be the case that you could operate ships with joysticks in SS06? it's been so long since I used it I can't remember.

TerryRussell

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 22:53:38 »

Like you, I can't remember. Sorry.

pigdog

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2008, 01:14:56 »

I might try it out tomorrow, I seem to remember using the ocean star from the bridge wing with a joystick.

Just as a matter of interest when you say you doubt it will be in SS08 did you mean the current version either in an upgrade or patch or did you mean for SS09 or whatever the next release will be?

Ok I've tried it out on SS06 and joysticks didn't work in walkthrough mode, which is a shame, maybe it will be addressed in the near future it just seems so limiting not to be able to use your controls from one of the most important control consoles on a ship.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 10:14:40 by pigdog »

TerryRussell

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2008, 19:58:18 »

Just as a matter of interest when you say you doubt it will be in SS08 did you mean the current version either in an upgrade or patch or did you mean for SS09 or whatever the next release will be?

I thought I was pretty clear...

I very much doubt it will be changed in Ship Simulator 2008.

;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines