Hello Guest April 26, 2024, 07:13:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: new real lights  (Read 33970 times)

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
Re: new real lights
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2008, 20:59:47 »

On the whistle subject, the TRMA topic is at http://titanic-model.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=100&topic_id=29477&mesg_id=&page=&mode=full started by yours truely.

A ways down, "pete hodges" had this reply:

The subject of the sound of the Smith-Hyson whistles has always been a subject of fascination... I know for a fact that the three-note whistle played using compressed air, as was done in 1997, lowers the actual musical pitch of each bell by three half-tones... In other words, as built in 1911, the whistle sounded with steam plays the intended notes, which can be figured out using any piano by listening to the modern compressed-air recording, then simply moving up three half-notes for each of the three tones you hear in the recording... I figured it out once, but I need to do it again... Pete

His next post being:

The TITANIC's Smith-Hyson whistle, using compressed air, plays the notes C one octave below Middle-C, D-Sharp, and F-Sharp. Now using steam as designed, the notes will be D-Sharp, F-Sharp, and Middle-A, or a D-Sharp-minor-diminished chord. The MAURETANIA's whistle, plays the notes D, F-Sharp, and Middle-A on steam, the only difference being that the lowest note is a half-step lower than that of the TITANIC's, both being blown on steam. The MAURY's whistle plays a D-Major chord on steam... Pete

I then used a synthesizer to make a midi of the 2 sounds of Titanic: a 8 beat long playing of his figure for the wreck's horn, then a 4 beat rest, then a 8 beat long playing of his figure of the unwrecked version. I am unsure if he took the pressure of the horns into account, so I asked him about it. I await his reply.

The file with the 2 whistles is attached.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2008, 21:08:46 »

Can't do much with it in the program I use (Sonar), without the plugin you used for the sound, it knows not what to play it with, and the default synthesizer makes it sound funny... Since it only sees the midi file as "what note is pressed, for how long".  :-\

But if it really comes down to making it three semi-tones higher, then we could just adjust the exsisting horn, that would be the real thing, then. Better than using another ship's horn that doesn't play the same chord, I guess.

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2008, 21:22:07 »

I use NoteWorthy Composer, as it can show sheet music for imported midis! That's also the software I used to make the file. I play it with Windows Media Player, if you have it.

My question is does changing the chord 3 semi tones change each individual note in the triad 3 semitones?

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2008, 21:36:42 »

Well, it should work, since the 3 notes stay the same in relation to each other. But on the whole, the sound may get 'weaker'. I don't know how to explain it, or if I am right.. Terry knows more about that, I know that. I'm more of a musician than a sound engineer, so to speak.

TerryRussell

« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2008, 23:32:59 »

Yeah, I have noticed this, the hovercraft will not use the high idle, and some missions are loading real slow, and much more :P
But if I reinstall the game will I get everything back to normal then?

Hi Siso7 and Fred.

Just a thought, but you can probably avoid the pain of uninstalling the game. I think that if you simply install it again (see my flowchart for the correct sequence) it should overwrite the light files with the default. You should keep all of your profile that wy (mission times, and so on).

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2008, 23:48:01 »

Hmm, I didn't think of that.  ;D

I assumed that the contents of the userdata folder would partially (at least) also be overwritten. But come to think of it I have installed the game that way too, before.  :P

TerryRussell

« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2008, 00:09:23 »

I do it quite often, after I've been testing possible changes.

Works a treat!  ;D

ash

• Forum member
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2008, 00:46:06 »

you know the lights document do i have to replace everything that is already there with that?
where do i put them in the tanker document?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 00:49:59 by ash »
life is expensive but it includes a trip round the sun every year!

moderator on www.ssme.heavenforum.com/forum
join for free now!

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2008, 02:41:36 »

The new light file replaces the old.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2008, 05:38:28 »

A note I'd like to add.

Before you replace any game files with User-modified ones, it's always a good idea to backup the file you are about to replace, just to be on the safe side.

Maybe the result is not to your liking, and then you can always put the original file back, with a minimal amount of hassle.

Just a tip!

Regards,
Fred

TerryRussell

« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2008, 07:01:48 »

Good morning, Fred.

If I could add a further note of caution, by adding lights or even just changing the existing lights, you can significantly affect the performance of Ship Simulator.

If, as a result, you find that you have jerky movement (in the game, not yourself!) or bits of ships are missing or other odd effects, then you've messed it up.

In that case, replace the files or in extreme cases, reinstall the game, following the directions in my flow chart (Technical Support area).

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2008, 18:40:35 »

As a note on Titanic's lights, while they ARE accurate with the international protocol for the running (navigation) lights for an over 50m ship underway, historically speaking, EVERY ONE OF THEM IS WRONG IN ONE WAY OR ANOTHER!

TerryRussell

« Reply #62 on: December 24, 2008, 19:05:45 »

I guess that the problem is this:

Should the lighting system reflect the way that Titanic was when built, only to see it be overtaken by Red Jet 4 in a mission, or should it refelect modern lighting conventions, given that historically, it sank.  ;)

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2008, 19:33:30 »

Whether to go historical or modern really depends on if it's "Titanic 2" or not. Actually, historically, it follows much of the same rules, just move the stern light up a deck, move the mainmast light down a portion, set the red/green lights to remain on dusk to dawn no matter what, and remove the foremast light. That's about it!

Captain Nipper

• Forum member
« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2008, 22:47:11 »

Hello,

Please tell me where I can get those lights allso
regards,
Captain Nipper

ms. "Spang". 45 x 6.60. 367 Ton. 225 pk Mercedes

Als er geen water bestond, zou ik het uitvinden.

Capt.Bluebeard

« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2008, 03:09:30 »

Here you can download lights and repaints
SchiffSim-Welt Forum
http://forum.schiffsim-welt.de/
It's haw a English section

hilobude123

• Forum member
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2008, 03:26:23 »

Look in the mailbox  :)
Sorry but wheres the mailbox?
Pride of Rotterdam is my life!!!!

Capt.Bluebeard

« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2008, 03:29:38 »

Sorry but wheres the mailbox?
That's was old post so you haw well read it and deleted ???

Here you can download lights and repaints
SchiffSim-Welt Forum
http://forum.schiffsim-welt.de/
It's haw a English section
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 03:31:20 by Capt.Bluebeard »

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2008, 04:51:54 »

The English portion of that site is limited. From where exactly can I find the lights? Just give me the URL and Google translator can take it from there.

Capt.Bluebeard

« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2008, 04:59:01 »

The English portion of that site is limited. From where exactly can I find the lights? Just give me the URL and Google translator can take it from there.

Here http://forum.schiffsim-welt.de/index.php?topic=58.0
and you most sign in

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2008, 10:28:08 »

Thanks a ton! Now I have to wait until I return home.

ash

• Forum member
« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2008, 01:23:46 »

i think hilo bude has copied my profile picture what do you guys think?

join for free now!

Capt.Bluebeard

« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2008, 01:28:42 »

i think hilo bude has copied my profile picture what do you guys think?
What are the problems with that?? he or you liked it so what that's my meaning, odder maybe mean different. But i had asked to steal it before i took it  ;D

ash

• Forum member
« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2008, 01:37:55 »

i its a picture i took. and you didnt take my picture

join for free now!

Blow

• Forum member
« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2008, 06:24:10 »

The additional lighting aboard the ships are great but it would be better if it were as with the additional lights now. For example when you drop anchor the running lights go off. The deck lights should be the same. Once you get underway from a berth or you pick up anchor the deck lights should be off and only navigation lights be displayed. With that said I'd prefer resources be put towards the development of better night time navigational aids such as lighted boueys and ranges that mark the center lines of the channel.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 06:27:19 by Blow »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines